Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about D&D rules

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by stormrage112345, Mar 17, 2005.

1. stormrage112345

stormrage112345 Banned

Question about D&D rules

Me and my friends picked up a D&D starter recently but I'm a bit confused about the rules. Could someone explain to me what the rules mean when they say the dwarf cleric can prepare one extra spell when he levels up? As the dungeon master, I'm pretty sure it's my responsibility to know these things. Also, how do we play the skirmish game with the miniatures. (yes I know how nerdy this sounds but our school D&D club is up to about 7 people)

2. Peregrine

Peregrine Diabloii.Net Member

Err, what? Did you post that a bit badly, or are you using something besides the latest edition (3.5)?

edit, to be more clear:

Why would a dwarf cleric (and only a dwarf cleric, not other races/classes) get one (and only one) extra spell when they level up? Is there any chance you're refering to the N +1 listed on the spells per day chart for each level, which refers to the domain spell?

3. stormrage112345

stormrage112345 Banned

In my rule book it says that upon reaching level 2, the dwarf cleric can prepare 1 extra level zero and 1 extra level one skill. Does this mean he can use an extra one or that he learns a new one

4. ROMVS

ROMVS Diabloii.Net Member

Clerics are able to learn a new one as it is bestowed on them. Magicusers however need to try to learn a new spell but it means they can now learn a new spell. Since you are the DM, you can choose to have the cleric choose a clerical spell from a list of your choosing (a spell that can be granted by that deity) or just give him one through divine enlightenment.

5. raffster

raffster Diabloii.Net Member

It seems to me like you're using D&D 3rd Edition Rules. Not familiar with that at all except playing Neverwinter Nights. IMO 3rd Ed Rules made D&D quite confusing to play and it just took out a lot of the flavor the old rules fused the game with. But others might disagree...Although Neverwinter Nights benefitted greatly from 3rd Ed rules but I can't see how 2nd Ed rules wouldn't have made the game any different (except the multi and dual classing restrictions).

If learning spells isn't any different from the older rules then from the old rules, a level 2 cleric basically can learn two level 1 spells, and cast the spell (or spells) memorized. "Prepare" I think is "memorize" in the older rules. The extra 1 skill isn't a spell. It's a skill like one of these:
    Animal Empathy
    Appraise
    Bluff
    Concentration
    Craft Armor
    Craft Trap
    Craft Weapon
    Discipline
    Heal
    Hide
    Intimidate
    Listen
    Lore
    Move Silently
    Open Lock
    Parry
    Perform
    Persuade
    Pick Pocket
    Search
    Set Trap
    Spellcraft
    Spot
    Taunt
    Tumble
    Use Magic Device

Or it could also mean that you can cast up to 2 times the level one spell you already know. But I'm almost certain that you can learn two different spells when you're level 2.

6. stormrage112345

stormrage112345 Banned

Okay I guess I'll just improvise that part, being the DM. One more thing though. If you create your own character, using a blank character sheet, what do you use to represent your character on the board and as a stat card.

7. tarnok

tarnok Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Clerics are a magic using class that prepares spells. This means that at the time determined by their diety/religion they must pray to their diety/mystical force for their spells. At that time they must choose which spells they want to be able to cast for the next twenty-four hours. With a few exceptions those will be the only spells they can cast from memory, and only as many times for each spell as they dedicate slots to.

A cleric may prepare any spell from the cleric spell list that he meets the requirements to cast and is not forbidden from casting (by his diety for instance). In other words, a cleric does not have to learn new spells, he simply prays for them and his god grants them to him.

At each level divine casters consult a chart in the PHB (I can't recall what page) that tells them how many spells of each level they can memorize per day. In addition to this they consult another chart to see how many extra spells of each level they can memorize per day because of an exceptionally high ability score (wisdom in the case of clerics). In addition to this clerics have domains. These are areas of specialty they may select from those available to followers of their diety. Their domain gives them certain spells they can prepare in addition to the normal spell list. It also grants them an extra domain spell of each level per day. This means that a cleric can prepare one extra spell of each level of spell he is able to cast per day, but that spell must be one of his domain spells.

Is that what you're talking about?

8. Peregrine

Ok, I think it's one of three problems here:

1) You got a simplified starter set, that doesn't use the standard D&D rules. Which would explain the focus on a dwarf cleric, you're trying to follow some preset guidelines for the character and getting confused. If that's true, I don't have any answers, I'd have to see the rulebook myself.

2) You're confusing the pen and paper rpg with the miniatures game. Which would explain the question about how to use the miniatures, and the 'stat card' and board. The miniatures game uses completely different rules, and is only related to the rpg in name and general theme.

3) You're getting confused on the spells per day thing. On the cleric's class list, you have something like this:

Code:
    [B][U]Class Level                  Spells/Day:          0         1          2[/U][/B]
    1                                                  3       1+1         -
    2                                                  4       2+1         -
    3                                                  4       2+1       1+1
    all the way up to level 20.

The +1 doesn't mean that you add a new spell of that level when you level up. It's to represent the domain spell that you prepare from a special list in addition to your normal spells. Every day you get the spells per day per level listed on that row of the chart, and picked from the list of all cleric spells. You also get one domain spell chosen from your domain lists at each spell level.

9. Beowulf

Beowulf Diabloii.Net Member

I only play druids or warriors so I cannot help you but what has been said here sounds about right.

10. piff

piff Diabloii.Net Member

Allow me to put it in much simpler terms (though maybe longer) than everyone else. First, you must put yourself in the dwarf.

One morning you wake up, and you eat some sort of rodent cooked over a fire. The barbarian is still fast asleep while the mage is preparing components and the theif is cleaning his tools. You ponder as you gnaw on your animal what spells you may need for the day. You know you only have the ability to cast level one and level zero spells, so that is all you focus on. You decide that Nuetralize Poison and Heal Minor Wounds will be in order for today, but know you need to know how to obtain these spells. You consult your dwarven texts, and it says you pray for the ability to cast spells each morning, and the number of spells is determined by your level. It says, as a level 2 cleric, you may prepare one level one spell and two level zero spells. It just so happens that Nuetralize Poison is a level one spell and Heal Minor Wounds is a level zero spell. You put down breakfast and pray to be granted the ability to cast 1 Nuetralize Poison and 2 Heal Minor Wounds.

Note that I used to play a cross between first and second editions, so the spell levels may be wrong. I quit after my group started playing third edition (which, in my opinon takes so much form the game), so all I really know well are the first editions' rules, but that is how spells work. As a mage, it's similar except you prepare the spells by yourself, not by praying.

My overall rule, though, is to merely use the Player's Guides as a guidelines. My group had the books for editions one and two, so we simply joined the two in most aspects, picking and choosing what rules we thought would make the game run better. For example, we elminated THAC0 because it was too much trouble to deal with in the middle of an intense battle. D&D is supposed to be fun and imaginative, not a board game.

11. stormrage112345

stormrage112345 Banned

One more thing, is there a cheaper version of the player handbook? I saw a few copies of it at booksamillion for 75 dollars each. These are hardcover and have a leather cover. Is there a paperback or at least a non leather version?

12. piff

piff Diabloii.Net Member

Heck no. D&D can make a boat load of money from selling hardback books for $75. Why would they ever want to sell for less?:confused:

I think they should be cheaper, but that's capitalism, and I can't argue with that. or it's just another reason to switch to the first two editions!

13. Peregrine

Yes, you can get a cheaper version. That's a special (insert big number here)th aniversary edition that was released this year. The standard edition should be about half that.

And if you're just now trying to buy the player's handbook, what have you been using so far that inspired the question about spells?

14. stormrage112345

stormrage112345 Banned

I've been running on the simplified rulebook included in the basic game. By the way, I've figured out how they make money. They sell all the stuff seperately. For a while, me and my friends have been playing at Books a million and using the books they have there for reference.

15. Pier

Pier Diabloii.Net Member

On the original problem:

When you level up (gained enough xp) your abilities become stronger: more hit points, more skills and in the case of a cleric: cast more spells.
    In case of going from level 1 to 2: casting 1 more 1st level spell.

As for the difference between "knowing", "memorizing" and "being able to cast":
    In my game, cleric recieve spells from their deities. They can cast any spell form the level they are able to cast (0 and 1st level in this case), as long as they pray for them in the morning. So they have to specify which spells they want to cast today (good clerics can swap any spell during the day for a "cure" spell; evil for a "cause".)
    Wizards have a spellbook with a limited amount of spells in it. In the morning they have to memorize the spells they want cast today (similar to the praying of the cleric). But he can only choose from the spells in his book, not any spell as the cleric (which are divine gifts).
    Sorcerers are a new class that know a very limited amount of spells, but can cast which spell they want, whenever they want (within their casting ability of course).

The skirmish game requires different rules than normal D&D.
    The miniatures are either to help in combat in D&D (easier with position, reach and movement if you actually have something to place on the table), or play the minituare game.
    This game is less "role-playing" and more "roll-playing".
    In other words, it is more a board game in which you fight battles between, with or against your friends, instead of the group of people (minus the DM), who are a group of adventures in normal D&D.
    To play the miniature game you need to BUY different rules I think.

The players handbook should sell for $30,- (used to be $20,-). Same as DM's Guide and Monster Manual. You could check e-bay for a cheap deal.
    But it is best to split it with your friends. A couple of bucks each for hours of fun is really cheap.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Grr pIER