Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Cube socketing

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Cassiopeia, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia IncGamers Member

Question about Cube socketing

I have a nice +3 hammer/+3 concin white sceptor that I would like to socket. I can larzuk it for 5 sockets but I think I would rather have 4 sockets to plop a fort runeword in it once i find a Lo. I am willing to take the chance with cube socketing it but the problem is I am unsure whether or not cube socketing will reroll the +skillers on the sceptor. I do not want the +skills rerolled obviously.

Anyone know if cube socketing rerolls the stats/skills on the weapon?

2. sirmessbu

sirmessbu IncGamers Member

It doesn't change the staff mod on an item to cube sockets in it.

Never seen people using fortitude as a hammerdin weapon, seems pretty original idea. Personnaly I would go with a heart of the oak flail wich cost about the same and offer +3 to all skill.

3. Aminal

Aminal IncGamers Member

Everything stays the same as it was when you gamble the sockets. just cross your fingers and hit it . good luck :)

4. Voorhees

Voorhees IncGamers Member

This is really something more for a low level hammerdin, as mentioned before hoto is about as good as it gets for hammers outside of maybe a godly rare scepter. Plus... fort sucks as a weapon. People may disagree with me here but it's true. Besides, hammer pally's are all about +skills so if your gonna make a runeword out of it, at least make something that adds at least a skill point for ya. Honor or Call to Arms come to mind. Both 5 socket runewords so no finger crossing there.

5. Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies.

So no one thinks that the +200% defense from a weapon is useful at all? Between Hoto and Fort im looking at 15% less fcrs but a huge boost of 200% def. Im not sure my calculations are correct but assuming youre wearing some 500 base defense armor, a 100 base def shield, and about 150 base def from other gear im thinking the bonus to armor would be huge in the neighborhood of 1500 def with this weapon equipped. So the question become 1500def or 15% fcr.

Is 1500def not worth the hassle?

Edit: Not to mention the 20% lvl15 chilling armor that would add another 800def and freeze range attackers.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You can make CtA out of it (needs 5 sockets), so you will get +1 to skills and another +1 from battle command, not to forget the +life/mana bonus from BO. That will provide a better bonus to conc and BH than a HotO flail, even without warcry (which cannot really considered, as you can have another CtA in the switch or play with a barb in a party anyway), and it's 100% safe. However, a runeword with +2 to skills would be better, but that's only possible with Fortitude, as you already found out. Tough choice...

7. dave

dave IncGamers Member

Since when does Fortitude give +2 skills? Or did i misunderstand you?

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Good point. :duh:

I somehow confused it with CoH, but that's nonsense as well because it only works in armors :rolleyes:

BTW, if you are looking for a good melee runeword, CtA is as good as a cruel weapon of quickness (250-290%ed, 40% IAS) and it also has PMH, so it's not the worst melee weapon as well.

9. Voorhees

Voorhees IncGamers Member

You're a paladin. You have holyshield. You don't need to sacrifice weapon effectivness for defense.

10. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

People have been talking about making a HotO from this scepter. Am I an idiot, or are you guys talking about something that can't be done...IIRC, only Flail-type weapons can make HotO, not scepters. Can someone confirm this? I especially don't want this guy to go out and waste such a pretty scepter.

11. Damicles

Damicles IncGamers Member

All the mentions of Hoto's in here are flails. They were comparing a Hoto flail to various runewords made in the scepter. But you are correct, Hoto cannot be made in a scepter.