Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about conviction vs fanaticism

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by enginekid, Oct 22, 2010.

1. enginekid

enginekid Diabloii.Net Member

Question about conviction vs fanaticism

Anyone know if a zealer pally would do just as well with maxed out conviction on instead of fanaticism? it says it removes their defense and immunes, so it made me think even though you would attack less fast, you would hit more often and a sword like Azurewrath would deal way more elemental dmg. and you could use items to get the attack speed back.

I have no idea if this is true, i never tried it before

2. Obdob

Obdob Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Question about conviction vs fanaticism

Really depends on your equipment. I tried conviction for a little while, but without much elemental damage. Then I switched to fanaticism and never looked back. I'm kind of a speed freak though. Also, in 1.13 it seems to be easier to get a high damage weapon *cough* Oath *cough* which works better with fanaticism than conviction. Give it a try though, you can always respec.

3. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps Diabloii.Net Member

With the right items Conviction is great, however as Obdob said it's quite easy to get high physical damage weapons that also have great speed for zealers. Give Voice of Reason or Rift a try with Conviction.

4. minuses

minuses Diabloii.Net Member

Only go for lvl 25 conviction on a zealer when you are using dual dream and distributing only into syngeries of holy shock. Points into holy shock will not matter since only aura from items matter. The reason for lvl 25 conviction is because that brings down fire/cold/light resist by 150. It does not get better than that and conviction lowers defense good enough at lvl 25.

5. Trionth

Trionth Diabloii.Net Member

My main problem with Zealots (or smiters, beserkers, any melee character other than WW) is crowd control. Convcition and elemental damage helps solve this problem.

You can respec to a Frost zealot. Either run conviction yourself and get fanat from merc (A1 Merc with Faith, or a Merc with 'Beast') or run fanat and get conviction from a merc (A2 Might merc with Infinity)

I've got a few friends who use Frost Zealots and love them.

Theres an excelent guid floating around somewhere, I just can't find it... Once I do I'll put in here for you.

Anyways, its a holy freeze/dream/zeal guide. Its excelent.

I don't have the build myself (might respec my auradin to it though :\)

Dream helm
    Enigma
    Dream Shield
    Crescent Moon Phase Blade
    Other stuffs you need/want

I don't know if you run holy freeze or conviction or fanatsim. Conviction and Holy Freeze can be had on the merc...

I'll see if I can get Laarz in here :)

6. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock Diabloii.Net Member

Conviction + elemental damage on a Zealot works very well. It is one of my favorite type of characters because the skill point investment is so low that you are afforded a lot of flexibility in terms of backup skills and variations. Azurewrath, Gimmershred, Rift, Voice of Reason all do the job fine.

7. Trionth

8. Buran

Buran Diabloii.Net Member

Conviction works wonders if you find/build a nice weapon as Voice Of Reason, Crescent Moon, Rift (this three with more crowd control) or Azurewrath, Famine, Phoenix or Destruction (this ones more focused in raw elemental damage). Notice also that you probably will want two of these weapons in order to deal with immunities, due Conviction doesn't break some cold ones in Hell.

The only important handicap you must notice is that in Hell, a Conviction based Zealot, even with Sacrifice and Zeal maxed, makes a limited physical damage, with means that your life leech is small. This encourages you either to obtain the Dracul's or the highly expensive Exile in order to cast Life Tap.

Still, skillpoint wise, the Conviction Zealot build is cheap, which means that build a character with both auras maxed are possible.

Here's a vid with my "old" Conviction-Zeal Voice Of Reason pally in the 1.12, I still keep this character. Gear is modest, and some areas in Hell can be very hard (Acts IV and V) but still is a rewarding and fun build:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ILqUnpMr3I

9. enginekid

enginekid Diabloii.Net Member

cool video
    looks like lots of fun
    i just dont understand why not put 20 into zeal instead of sacrifice?

10. Trionth

Attack Rating maybe?

11. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock Diabloii.Net Member

Conviction lowers enemy defense significantly so AR becomes less important. Sacrifice adds a bit more physical damage, and thus more leech. At least, that would be my reasoning for doing that.

12. minuses

minuses Diabloii.Net Member

Well I prefer conviction for certain pally build that will really benefit from it.

13. Buran

Buran Diabloii.Net Member

Once you reach lvl 4 with Zeal to obtain the fith swing (easily to get wit +skills items) the interest of the skill is the +AR and +dmg bonus. But the enhancement of your attack ratting isn't as important, due Conviction has a huge impact in the enemies defenses. I maxed Sacrifice due the bonus damage of the synergy almost doubles the one from Zeal.

Anyway, at the current level the character still has 17 unused skill points. These points can be used either to max the Defiance passive bonus (%def), the Blessed Aim (%AR), Zeal (+AR and +dmg) or to max Fanaticism, making a hybrid build capable to jump from high elemental damage to high physical damage. You will not be as powerful in defense as a pure Smier, or as powerful and safe as a Fanatic Zealot (i.e.: Griefadin) and the build isn't very capable in pvp (even with extremely expensive gear), but this is not the point of the build.

The point is to use Conviction, which is also a very party friendly aura, and instead of killing with mele swings as an Avenger or the typical Conviction Zealot, killing casting massive amounts of elemental spells. Rift is much more powerful due doesn't need to hit to unleash the % of Frozen Orb cast -and due the higher level of cast-, but the runes are more expensive and the repair cost would be very high (scepters often had in build bonus and features that multiplies the repair cost to insane levels).

In PvM with Dracul's and a Crescent Moon or Azurewrath as side weapon Acts IV and V should not be a problem in Hell.

14. Asmodeous

Asmodeous Diabloii.Net Member

Here is a guide that you might find interesting. Don't know why I needed to link it as it is still stickied at the top of this forum.

basically it's a zealot that uses elemental damage, conviction and zeal. Given that isn't a big skill point ask, the above guide throws in Fist of the heavens for a bit of undead smashing and single target blasting for extra fun.

Enjoy.