Question about burning cds

Question about burning cds

I wanna make a cd and I need to know something. The cd-r can hold 700mb/80 minutes. Is there any way to be able to put more than 80 minutes on the cd because there is a lot of songs I wanna burn. Does the 80 minutes even matter? Can I go over 80 mins as long as its under 700mb?
 

Jonas

Diabloii.Net Member
I think you can buy CD's that hold over 80 minutes.

I'm pretty sure that as long as the total amount of files does not exceed 700mb as you said, you will be fine.
 
hmm its thats the case that will be awesome. I just read that cds can hold over 30 hours of mp3's. Is this true or would I need a special cd to do this?
 
Canadia142 said:
I wanna make a cd and I need to know something. The cd-r can hold 700mb/80 minutes. Is there any way to be able to put more than 80 minutes on the cd because there is a lot of songs I wanna burn. Does the 80 minutes even matter? Can I go over 80 mins as long as its under 700mb?
If you don't want to play them on a CD player. The time is based on how a CD must be burnt so that a CD player can read it. You can burn them as a data CD so that you can transfer the songs to another computer. If you want to play them in your car or CD player then you are stuck at 80 minutes....you should stay at a max of 74 minutes though. For some reason the the last few minutes of the track aren't read well. I have tried this with different brands of CDs with different burners and players....take it as you will.



EDIT: Most portable CD players can play a CD like that but I am not familiar with the specifics....don't try it with your car stereo though.
 

guspasho

Diabloii.Net Member
Canadia142 said:
hmm its thats the case that will be awesome. I just read that cds can hold over 30 hours of mp3's. Is this true or would I need a special cd to do this?
Thirty hours if you compress your mp3s at a REALLY low bitrate, yes.
 

Choogy

Diabloii.Net Member
Okay... most cd's are 80 min/ 700 mb... keep it under 80 min and you'll do fine
To do more, you have to encode it as a MP3 cd, where the songs are stored differently (and to have several hours of play time), you need a special player for that...soemthing that specifically says MP3 cd's on it

No cd's are more than 80 minutes unless you go mini disk, which is different all together and does not burn like a normal cd (i believe)

And its hard to go past 700 mg unless you try to burn w/ all your files as .wav files. I suggest Maxwell for decent cd's that are multi purpose (you dont have to buy specifically music ones), or for the best cd's ive found get TDK...for both these brands, you dont need to buy the cd-r's specifically for music, just the normal works very well. And dont try and burn a cd-rw as a music cd, cause it comes out screwy or unable to ever erase it
 

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member
If your CD can read MP3, couldn't you burn the music as MP3's that way you can have tons and tons of song in one CD?
 

piff

Diabloii.Net Member
Some CD players can play MP3 CDs. Otherwise, 700MB is the limit as far as I know. And 700 MB = 80 min.
 
Ok I was about to put 27 songs on my cd at exactly 74 minutes. This is the greatest list of songs by the greatest band ever.
 

Choogy

Diabloii.Net Member
Corneo said:
If your CD can read MP3, couldn't you burn the music as MP3's that way you can have tons and tons of song in one CD?
There's 3 separate ways to burn it....

1. Music Cd = 80 minutes, works in (most) all cd players

2. MP3 Cd = 700 Mb, read only by MP3 Cd players (those made specifically to include the ability to play MP3 cd's(

3. Data Cd = 700 Mb, read by computer only (transfer of data, storage, whatever)
 
if you had data files that totalled more then 700mb then you could overburn and fit it all and still have them work afterwards...but yeah..with music it doesn't work out too well
 

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member
Choogy said:
There's 3 separate ways to burn it....

1. Music Cd = 80 minutes, works in (most) all cd players

2. MP3 Cd = 700 Mb, read only by MP3 Cd players (those made specifically to include the ability to play MP3 cd's(

3. Data Cd = 700 Mb, read by computer only (transfer of data, storage, whatever)
That's what I thought, but to my experience when I burn music onto a CD, the mp3 must be transfered as a .wav file. Also I have noticed that a .wav file > .mp3 file. Hence one cd can store mp3 than the wav. Or I could be burning music the wrong way for a long long time.
 

cougar

Diabloii.Net Member
if your using Easy CD Creator (at least the version i had) to burn mp3's i had to say "burn a data cd" and the cd still worked with mp3 cd players.

.wav files are way bigger than .mp3... hence .mp3 being a compression format. On average i can fit about 150-180 mp3's on one cd, whereas with .wav, i can only fit about 20-25. If your car stereo says "mp3" anywhere on it, then you'll be fine with burning to .mp3. If it doesn't, then just stick with .wav and burn multiple cd's.

The time limit doesn't really matter... it's just a rough estimate to people who are buying cd's. Most softwares wont even let you burn if you go over 700 mb.. so as long as you stay under the 700 mb limit, you're fine.
 
Top