Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Bowzone

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Sephiroth[TR], Feb 21, 2004.

1. Sephiroth[TR]

Sephiroth[TR] IncGamers Member

Question about Bowzone

What skil for bowzone ? Strafe or Multi shot ?
    what are advantage of each ? Cos i dont c how strafe can be better all i c is a line of arrows rapidly going at a monster.

2. Krunch_Kidney

Krunch_Kidney IncGamers Member

both are effective crowd killers, but only strafe doubles as a single target skill

3. Sephiroth[TR]

so wich do u sugest ? Im intend of making a new bowzone.

4. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

in 1.09 ms was the skill of choice for most players. however, this was because many players exploited a bug where the each arrow can hit a target as long as the chance to hit die was rolled. in 1.10, only 1 arrow can hit a target from ms despite seeing 3 arrows hitting a target. that being said, ms is good for attacking off screen and large group of monsters (ie cows) as well as being able to attack on the go. however, since most people aren't doing cows nowsaday, it's pretty much underrated. on the other hand, strafe, even though locks you, is quite decent with a lot of ias and is good especially against small-medium groups of targets and especially single target. Also, i would not count on making strafe/ms my only skill since many monsters in 1.10 hell has immunities (cold, lightning, physical, etc) so it's best to hybrid into another tree

5. Sephiroth[TR]

uhm i already have a hybrid zone with lightning fury and about 10 guided and 10 multi. But with WF my guided dmg is only 2k and my multi shot is around 1.5k With that dmg i wont even hurt the monsters in a baalrun game.

Now im intend of making new bowzone. But what skils to take ? And is much dex good or is it better to put all in my VIT.

have FULL mav set ready. But the dmg doesnt seem so good..
    Got eagle and WF buriza. So enough bows to choose from.

Only guide i found here was the magezone guide but that doesnt really look like a intresting build

1 think im sure by now is either max strafe or MS. And max Guided.
    Btw are bowzone any good for PVP ? i have only saw them die and townshoot(lame).

6. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

Although it sort of depends on the purpose of your char. I would say that 80% of the time strafe will be a better option. It would also be best to try to both and see which suits your playing style. Perhaps you have a friend who would let you try his amas? That's would I did and it made my decision a lor easier.

In conclusion: Go for strafe :yep:

-Backdoor Bandit

7. Aksama

Aksama IncGamers Member

Max strafe, multi is simply not viable anymore imo.

A hybridzon seems to be a great build. max strafe, LF, D/a/e/ stuff, lvl 17 valk, no points in ice tree (except in 1 in CA for pre-req of GA) You can check my post for an approximate skill stuff.

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=140376

I think this may be an optimal build. Since I'm playing with a friend you should prob. put more points then me into vita, since you won't have as many tanks (I have 3, might merc, valk, friend)

if you have any questions pm me, or post here or whatnot.

8. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

don't forget to factor in the physical resistance of monsters goes up from normal - hell. also, even though dex is desirable in a zon build, too much would result in a glass cannon and one hit by any annoying monster (dolls, glooms or even a oblivion knights bs for examples) would make you real vulnerable if you're keen on pvm. the lf, ms and ga setup is more ideal for a pvp setup and since you've commented that it was a hybrid setup, this is perharps the reason why the skills are so lacking.

remember that a bowazon attack comes by speed (ias). perharps the best analogy is that of a machine gun. one round of course does not deal much damage. imagine several of those one round in a short space of time that's the theory. and this is probably why strafe is so powerful now instead of the once popular ms.

for me, personally i would put 100 base in vit at least, str ~100 (enough to wear equipment- wf for your case), mana base and rest in dex. if you find your vit lacking, your can always get small charms of substenance which gives about 10+ life for each sc. also, items that gives ias (ie sander's glove, laying of hands, twitchthroe, etc) are always a welcome in the stable. the key is balance in power with speed.

a pvp bowazon needs lots of skill especially against a lot of players who have the enigma armor who tend to be bm and abuse the teleport. if you want to stoop to their level, max ga or ms with enigma and pdsc would surely send many of them crying foul. alternatively, if you're a gm player, ga and ms are still the way to go other than lf. slow missile would be your good friend especially against bs necro (bone prison and walls you'll to get outta them first), and some caster class. but honestly, against teleporting hammadins, v/t, or really good v/c are suicide. as for the ls sin and vindicator , lightning resist is the way to go. and please don't pour any points in decoy or valkyrie for pvp as it's sinfully wasteful. a high dex with d/a/e really put things in perspective (with good + skills also). though i do not have exp to boast of, imo, bowazons are generally weaker in 1.10 in pvp as there are too many cookie cutter builds out there that can easily best the strafezon. still if you're still keen (i'm making a frostmaiden/strafezon hybrid in asia right now), you can always check sniperwolf's (not sure if name is spelled correctly) sniperzon guide or freya's frostmaiden guide. hope you find something there that you'll have fun with. gg :)

9. Sephiroth[TR]

Hmmm think im gone make new ama :p Not hybrid but pure bow. Would be a waste to not use my WF :p

my current hybridzone has Cat eye lavagout and WF shael as bow equip and storm titan as java doing verry wel but hard to kill bosses. Armor is btw Gloom in a Archon armor 1.7k def But stil have troubles with res.

so thinking of it think of using strafe after so many ppl saying strafe is so good. Or i might make another hybrid. Just wondering if i have to lose happy cow time as strafezone. Cos with hybridzone it was happy time herding cows and killing them by mass with lighting fury:D and picking single cows down with GA.

Btw any1 sugesting the Mavina set ?

10. Aksama

Aksama IncGamers Member

Pure bowazons are a waste. There just aren't enough good bow skills to use, hybrids are the only things really worth it anymore.

FA is nowhere near as good as LF. So why would you do pure bow? A WF won't be wasted on a hybrid.

11. Aksama

Aksama IncGamers Member

Pure bowazons are worthless... there just aren't enough good skills to spend points on, FA sucks in comparison to jav skills. Eth titans+ a shield on switch, and a WF will not be a 'waste' by any stretch of imagination.

12. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

if you're worried about lightning resists, get a thundergod from your last javazon. imo, bowazons are underpowered yes, but the i don't know what's your definetion of fun. seeing many builds in 1.10 that are cookie cutter and synergised, it might be best to have fun trying alternate builds. as for defence and stuff in pvm, decoy, mercs and valkyries are the way to go. although the defence is lacking due to the lack in a proper shield, don't forget that you still have jewelery and armor. keep in mind that i wouldn't recommend this build for hell pvm as the resistances as way too bad for this zon can still kickass in pvp if you've built her well. also, if you are a big fan of party play, nobody would mind arty support as they are tanking monsters. hope that help c;arifies

13. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

I invite you to play with my 90ish wf strafeazon sometime, to see just how worthless bowazons really are.

No, they don't kill packs as fast as LF. But very few characters do.

14. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

This guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about, and has never made a good strafer.

15. Aksama

Aksama IncGamers Member

I have made a very good strafer thank you. I'm not saying that a 90ish WF-zon isn't amazing BUT there simply aren't enough good skills in the bow tree to utilize. It's considerably more effective to hybrid w/ LF with phys immunes/etc (I apologize for the things about eth titans, i remember now that jav damage has nothing to do w/ LF right?)

I'm not saying strafe/etc aren't amazing skills, it's just FA becomes to mana costly, and LF is soo much more effective then anything else I've seen... please don't flame me for an opinion, geez.

16. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

that's the thing for 1.10. lf and fa comes into mind cos of synergies. still, for your doubts about fa, i suggest you read up on freya's fa guide. true, it may not be as fast or as effective as lf as the arrows need to be aimed manually (as compared to throwing a pilot jav and let the lf unleash) and there are equally as many ci as there are li and pi. still, it's not as underpowered as you've described. if you don't make one and try (like i did), who can be qualified to judge how effective/ineffective if is purely based on analysis and past experience with a strafezon/lf javazon hybrid?

interesting point to note is that zon can deal damage of the 3 elemental realm (cold arrows/fire arrows/ lightning jav)+ poison (poison jav) and magic (magic arrow). while most other classes can deal only ~3. How's that for limited option?

17. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

There are actually very few PI's in the game anymore. You seem to be discounting Strafe on the grounds that LF > FA, which really has nothing to do with Strafe and everything to do with a misconception about 1.10.

The global 50% physical resist on monsters was removed in 1.10.

This means there are far, far less PI's around, and in fact, physical damage is now worth a heck of a lot more.

Atma's Scarab, Lacerator, or an A2 merc w/Reaper's Toll solves any and all PI issues that happen to come along. And believe me, there are very, very few. I can count the number of "stubborn" PI's - the ones where you HAVE to resort to elemental damage to kill them - that i've encountered since starting on 1.10 Ladder play on one hand.

I can assure you that my wife and I solo the entire Chaos Sanctuary and all of Baal's minions without once using FA.. or LF :) I've never, ever had to park a monster.. even the stubborn ones.

18. Krunch_Kidney

Krunch_Kidney IncGamers Member

Yeah, I have a lvl 80 FA zon, but I've been thinking about scrapping her for a pure strafer. Especially , for pitruns, FA is completely useless in there.

19. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

still i would say though pure is good (i once had a 'pure ' ms zon in 1.09), it's best not to put all your eggs in one basket, an elemental attack wpn (ie wws ma, lf jav, etc) on switch or maybe a simple ma or another skill from another tree makes it beneficial in the long run or of course, getting equipment that will help deal with the problem (ie atma ammy). don't get me wrong by thinking that i'm discounting a pure phy build, with good skills (more is needed vs challenging builds) and good equipment, a strafezon certainly makes a good pvp/pvm char

20. Sephiroth[TR]

hmmm i have only encounter fragfood PVP ama's unles they have enigma than they can get anoying.

But how after thinking a bit i got this as build:
    20 Lighting Fury 5 prerequire skil so total of 25
    20 Valkry
    3 on ALL passive and magic skils beside Slow missle and inner sight total of 43 skilpointsin passive and magic

so makes me have about 22 left for bows skils... seems kinda low isnt it ?
    if not 10 GA and 10 Strafe ??
    Yea only thingk about lvling my ama to lv 85-90 not more

Would that do ? Res might be a problem but got a Gloom armor in archon plate ready so...
    Also have Kira Guardian perfect if needed.
    Although il lose the DR and LL and ML from Gaze. Getting max res as a
    Javazone should be posible but when swithcing i might lose alot of res.