Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Beserk

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by steve2677, Mar 1, 2004.

1. steve2677

steve2677 IncGamers Member

Question about Beserk

I have been deciding on what to use when making a beserker. Like i knowsheild is good but if you have delerium do you want a shield?
    Next is do crit strike and crush blow etc. work with beserk because it converts all damage to magical? Any replies would be most helpful :D

O and that sheild question is more about my plan not to use one because i have delerium and cunfuse would be going off all the time :D And assuming that if you block its not considered being*hit* to trigger confuse.

2. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Crushing Blow and Open Wounds should still work but I'm not sure about critical//deadly strike

No a block is not a hit by I would recommend a shield at even 30-50% block just to protect against groups and ranged attackers befor the get hit by affects

3. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife IncGamers Member

im not too sure about the shield thing but i know that IAS is essentail in a zerk duel. I beat maul barbs with a light sabre because i swing faster and they can't block (and they have no def).

If youre' a pure zerk barb, u will want maxed block i would assume. Otherwise you'll get pummeled because zero defense makes it easy to land hits. So i would reccomend botd or ecbbq's because of the high ias on the sword it self. then if u can socket your helm with a 15 ias jewel or 40/15 and maybe highlords ammy for some ias and critical strike gear.

thgats my take on it..

4. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

I dont think its a pvp build seeing that he wants to use delerium for confusing enemies.

As for ur sheild question, I would use a SS with just enough dex for equipment.

Reasons:

PDR
    Resist
    FPA differances between 1hand and 2 hand ( 90 ias for 10 fpa 1h vs 165 ias for the same fps on 2h on a cb)

Also I would put a few into concentration, you will need this skill for leeching back lost life and mana.

5. steve2677

Ok thnx for the replies but i have another question....Would a 3 sheal tombreaver be fast enough for a pvm zerk weapon?, and also i do not have the luck most ppl have (whatever) at finding runes to make botd weapons. I just dont look at the game with the ultimate gear setup. I look at it like what could i possibly find.

Thnx for the suggestions guys i was hoping for a good response for a 2 hander beserker cuz i have this wicked rare axe with 20% ias and 2 open sockets and 444% ed but you all say sheild. SO what weapon would be good for a one hander?

6. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

That is the best wepon speed calculator you will ever come across I would suggest puting in your favorites or bookmark it.

As for the good zerking 1 hander I would have to say a high percent GF or perhaps even a Doom since its really easy to hit the max FPA.

7. kle02

kle02 IncGamers Member

I've made a zerker barb, maxed out berzerk, shout, howl (almost) and swordmastery and I use taunt+howl for 1 on 1 monster tactics. Although I regret not getting more BO I currently have 10 =/, as for the gear, I use shaftstop or lionheart (aka the poor man's Chains of Honor) or my 45% ias griswold armor XD. For the weapon DoomBringer which is plain sick when swung 2 handed I do 4k-5k dmg =X. For the helm well Arreats is a nice one! Or the good ol' vampgaze, for my shield I'm using Gerke's Sanctuary, it has good blocking but I'd prefer a StormShield if I could get one. Other junk is your own preferences, like leeching rings, boots, belts etc.

8. JohnofTesh

JohnofTesh IncGamers Member

I play a 2-handed Berserker using an axe. You aren't going to get much encouragement to play Berserker 2-handed as that is the path less travelled. The nice thing about it is that it is a build that is much less equipment dependant than 1-handed berserkers. The key to playing a 2-handed, pvm berserker is to use your warcries as your defense. I use War Cry, Shout, Taunt, Howl and Shout for my defense - not just points placed in them, I use them.

The only thing I don't like about the Tomb Reaver is that even after putting 3 shaels into it and taking it to -110 ias it's still pretty slow. Depending on what your axe is, that might be a better choice, even if you have to find the runes to elitify it. Tell me what kind it is and what the str/dex reqs are on it and I might be able to offer you some more information. If you choose to go with the Reaver and want to trade the axe I might be interested.

9. toolthegod

toolthegod IncGamers Member

I like the path less traveled. but a 2 handed zerk build. :scratch:
    IMO, thats gonna take some time. :lol:
    As far as 1 handed weapons, I thought a botd zerk, would be the best.
    and with no shiled wouldn't the chance to cast "delerium" go up? (you'll have 0 def. per hit. meaning, monsters will have a chance to hit you more with out a shield to block.)
    is it just me? or does "deleium = time to run back to town and wait." :sleep:
    i made one and it casted 2 times in one game (off to trade it I went. ) :wave:

10. JohnofTesh

If you wanna see one in action I think I can make you change your mind...

11. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

I use a delirum .. confuse goes off on striking, not on hit, so whether you have a shield or not it won't help or hinder confuse going off on the delirum. However if you have really good blocking you won't turn into a doll very often, which in my oppinion is more of a pain than anything.

12. LordKdog(ik)

LordKdog(ik) IncGamers Member

best Merc for Zerker

just wondering what is the best merc to use???

Might or H.F. ??

later,

K-dog

13. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

If you're rich, a might merc with holy freeze, via the Doom weapon ;)

Otherwise I'm not too sure for a berserker...since you have no defense and already have mad damage, HF might be more useful.

-Hal

14. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I actually think might here to try to get closer to 1hit kill if you have 1 hit already then for sure HF

15. JohnofTesh

Might merc with doom would be great, but as Hal said about the cost...

There is a trade-off here that you are going to have to look at your style of play and make a choice. I had holy freeze with my 2-handed berserker and I fired him to try out a might merc. My reasoning was two-fold:

1. He kept on shattering champions and uniques that I would have liked to Hork. If you don't Hork, and are satisfied with your damage then Holy Freeze is a nice thing.

2. bigger damage = more 1-hit kills.

The holy freeze is nice, but if you are using War Cry as one of your defensive spells, most things aren't moving anyway. Any ranged attackers are being taunted up close, so slowing down their attack speed is not so much of an issue as it would be otherwise. Also, Holy Freeze slows down how quickly they get to me which leaves me waiting. The main place I miss holy freeze is if I am dealing with some of the champion packs or a superfast unique. For those I Howl, Battle Cry, and then retreat so that I can concentrate on them without any normal monsters around.

I will have to admit that I have been leveling the might merc from the strategy guide so I can't testify how things will go for us when I go back to soloing worldstone 2 & 3 and visiting Baal and the boys. Since he is at lvl 81 I have not taken him higher than doing Trancival runs. He is doing ok, but is not a fast killer as he is still using spire of honor. 3 more levels until he can use a tomb reaver at which point I expect his killing speed to improve. Tonight should be Act IV and Hephasto I think. I will report back when I have made some runs with him against Lister.

16. steve2677

WOW, i dont know what i was thinking with the whole delerium thing (sheesh!). I must have been alseep.
    The axe i have is a silver edged axe with 20% ias, 194 ar, 50 poiosn damage, 444% ed, and 2 open sockets. The damage is 338-598.
    I also have a question about helmet ideas etc. Is arreats the way to go or should go with something else and ne ideas would be appreciated.

P.S. I will be using war cry to stun but not for damage and possibly grim ward for crowd control vs packs in which i need to kill the champ first. I will also be using howl and taunt when needed.

17. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

IMO AF is the only helm any non IK barb should ever wear, its just too good to pass up. Unlike other helms there is not a single useless mod on AF and not only is there no usless mod but all the mods are the most needed, ar,def,ll,stats,res,skills. Ive been playin barbs since classic and have never found a better helm than a AF.

18. JohnofTesh

Arreats - there is not substitute.

Nice thing too is that a 3% leech helm that would be considered sucky for someone else is fine by me.

19. steve2677

Hmmm maybe its just me but the life leech sucks if i want to be a beserker but i do love all the extra stat bonuses etc.. I just wish there were ppl who could build a barb without one and use some rare or new unique helm, kind of break away from the traditional AF.

20. wind

wind IncGamers Member

I've used both and both are good choices, however if a player wants to actually go into 8p games and kill fast with less than uber gear, then might is the way to go. Slap some high defense armor/helm on him, maximize your shout for it's synergy and in general, you'll need to be more careful attacking than the merc.