Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about absorb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NSXdreamer, Apr 2, 2004.

1. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Question about absorb

Is the damage absorbed calcualted from the damage before resist, or after?

So if I have a 95/95/95/90 resist, then slap on lightsabre, dwarfstar, and ravenfrost, I should be immune to elemental attacks, right? Because today I wanted to test it, with 93 fire resist, and dwarfstar, I'm still taking some damage from skellimage's fireball, it's in act 1 nm if it matters. :\

2. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

I had the same idea, used the exact same set-up, had the same resists, and still didn't absorb anything. I'm guessing Blizz disabled absorb, either intentionally or as a "feature".

3. StellarDust

StellarDust IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure it's calculated after resistence. But try rising sun, since it is +a number instead of a % so it should make you completely immune to fire (in a1 nm at least).

4. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Absorb is always calculated after all your resists, but I think (not sure) that it is applied before any "magic damage reduced by x" mods. Furthermore, there are two types of absorb- flat absorb (ie Rising Sun, Blackoak Shield, Thundergod's Vigor) that absorb a certain number of points of damage, and percentage-based absorb (ie Lightsabre, Raven Frost, Dwarf Star). If you have only percentage-based, and it's less than 50%, you'll still take damage from the element in question.

The best thing to try for, if you want to be elemental-immune, is to either get 50% or better absorb, or supplement the percentage-based absorb with flat absorb and high resistances. I had a paladin on realm with T-God's and Guardian Angel, 95 lightning res and 20 flat absorb in Hell, and he could tank gloams with that setup, unless he got hit by Conviction or Lower Resist.

For lightning, you can try something like that. For cold, dual Raven Frosts plus a Frostwind sword with 10% or better cold absorb will do it. For fire, usually it suffices to have max resist (ideally 95, if you can manage it) and Rising Sun amulet.

5. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

Absorb is now capped at 40 I think where as in 1.09 it was capped I think at 75 (If I am wrong please feel free to correct me). However w/ full fire resist and a pair of 1.07 LoH (50 Fire Absorb) you will still take fire damage (Those pesky FE's will still get you). The damage taken however is almost negligable save those FE's (mainly Baal's minions)