Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question abouit Double throw and what to use

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by diablo loves donutz, Nov 3, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz Diabloii.Net Member

Question abouit Double throw and what to use

Hi guys. Well a friend and I are playing on bnet, but were playing two chars completly untwinked and no rushes or runs and such (Pretty much like sp). So, my friend is playing a ninja sin and I'm doing a thrower barb. I just have 2 quick questions about my barb:

Can you also use javelins in place of darts, knifes, and axes and will they still recieve the bonus of double throw?

And instead of maxing double throw shouldn't I instead put one point in it while maxing double swing for the damage boost?

Thanks for listening guys and I'll keep you updated on our progress.

-Donutz

2. avm

avm Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like fun... AFAIK double throw is bugged and putting more than 1 point in it does not result in increased AR. So, unless I'm mixing things up, you should *never* put more than 1 pt in it.

Yes, you can use it with javs.

As far as masteries, btw - if I remember correctly, you'll get the full mastery bonus when throwing, but not when using it for melee. Same for throwing axes - i believe they use throwing mastery when actually thrown, and axe mastery when swung... and I think javs use spear mastery when used in melee. Don't hold me to this though, I'm only about 90% sure :grin:

3. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot Diabloii.Net Member

Throw Mastery is bugged and thus the on screen dmg is quite high..actual dmg is about 33% of that figure.

Double Throw Ar is not bugged..probably got it mixed up ;). A typical Thrower looks like this:

Max- Tm, Ds, Dt, Bo..try to find weapons/mods that a melee char would normally use.ie) Cb, Ow, Ds, Amp dmg etc etc.

Avm is correct about the rest :)..untwinked you need the Ar from Dt so maxing would be wise...a point in Frenzy is not a bad idea as well for charge up speed.

4. avm

avm Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm the one thing I thought I was right about was the bugged DT :) I'm almost 100% sure I remember reading that somewhere in these forums, now whether that was accurate or not...

5. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot Diabloii.Net Member

I have never heard of that particular bug, but it may well be as you say.. I however have not noticed it as I have a Ds/Dt Throw Barb with emphasis on Throw, that seems to hit more with Dt.. strange indeed lol.

6. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

You can use Javs, but the problem is that you'll be throwing REALLY fast, and they have extremely small stack sizes. I can never use Javs on my throwbarb because it's just too annoying to run back to town all the time to repair.

If you really want to use Javs, get 4 stacks of self-repair javs and keep them on both switches so that when one runs out, you can switch to the others and have the first set replenish in the background.

Also, remember that you can craft both Axes and Javs, but Blood Axes beat the tar out of Safety Javs because they're cheaper (require an Ort instead of a Sol), and they get better mods (35-60% ED + 1-4% Life Leech compared to 5-10% enhanced defense, 1-4 PDR, 1-2 MDR). Speaking from a purely theoretical standpoint, it should be possible to craft throwing axes with +510% Enhanced Damage (60% built in, perfect cruel, perfect grandmasters). I say theoretically because your odds of pulling it off are actually worse than seeing a legit zod drop, but the fact that the 35-60% ED stacks with whatever ED you get from the affixes (and the fact that, at clvl 71+, you'll automatically get 4 affixes) means that Crafted Throwing Axes can get some really nice damage values.

In the future, you can be 100% sure, because that's correct.:smiley:

Nope, DT isn't bugged. You're probably getting confused because all of the Amazon's Bowskills are bugged and don't get the listed AR bonus. Some people speculated that Double Throw might suffer from the same bug, but it does not- additional points will certainly increase your actual AR while throwing.

Oh, one last tidbit for the OP- Leap is the greatest Thrower Skill in the game. There have been times where I've skipped Battle Orders entirely and just gotten Leap instead. With a slvl 15+ Leap, you'll be able to knockback all enemies on the screen back to the edge of the screen. Just take little hippy-hoppy leaps in place until enemies reach the edge of the screen. Then you can throw at them while they run back towards you, and when they get close, use Leap to knock them back again. If you're adventuring with a Ninja Sin, I would recommend both of you getting Rogue Mercs, so that all three of them can fire while you basically stop all monsters on screen from doing anything at all except for the Hit-Recovery animation. Really, really uber-powerful. Just don't try it around LEBs or Beetles.

7. jakotaco

jakotaco Diabloii.Net Member

Unless ofc you want to teach your party a lesson... :rolleyes:

To give yourself and other ranged a safe haven (in PVE only) you may also test Grim Ward, but I haven't got much experience with that skill so I suggest testing it with 2 Heart Carvers or some barb helm before putting pts in it.

8. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz Diabloii.Net Member

yes i did think of possibly putting a point there and yea i almost taught my ninja friend a lesson when i sent a couple axes at a light unique monster, lol, almost killed her. Thanks for all the replies btw guys