Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Q's for C/C WW Skill Distribution

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Phaeax, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Phaeax

Phaeax IncGamers Member

Q's for C/C WW Skill Distribution

I've built up a WW/BF hybrid assassin to play PvM and experiment with PvP, but would like some suggestions as to where to put my remaining skill points. I'm at level 81 and have 20 skill points unassigned.

My current skill distribution is this:
    20 - Claw Mastery
    1 - Psychic Hammer (pre-req)
    5 - Burst of Speed
    10 - Weapons Block
    1 - Cloak of Shadows
    5 - Fade
    1 - Mind Blast
    20 - Venom
    1 - Fire Blast (pre-req)
    1 - Blade Sentinel (pre-req)
    1 - Wake of Fire (pre-req)
    1 - Blade Fury
    1 - Blade Shield
    1 - Dragon Flight (given from claw)
    1 - Phoenix Strike (given from claw)

and I'm using the following items:
    Claw 1: Chaos runeword
    Claw 2: Nat's Mark
    Armor: Nat's set (includes helm and boots)
    Gloves: Steelrend
    Belt: Verdungo's
    Amulet: Metalgrid
    Rings: Raven Frost and misc rares

I don't see the need to pump Martial Arts skills, since I never use them, other then the occasional DF to close distance, not for damage. I don't see the use in pumping the lightning side of Traps to get minimal damage for the points I'll have left to distribute. The blade traps only need 1 point to be effective, since they are weapon dependent (I put 5 into BS to increase the duration). I've used the Shadow Disciplines pretty exclusively and have already maxed the most useful skills, Venom and CM. With the equipment I use, I have enough points in Fade to get max resists and damage reduction, as well as enough points in BoS to get the last weapon breakpoint on a normal attack. I could pump into WB, but it seems a waste to add another 10 skill points to increase my blocking 4-5%.

I haven't put anything into Shadow Warriors/Masters. I'm unsure of their usefulness and didn't want to use all of my resevoir to find out they are quite worthless. My previous build got to level 70 before I made the Chaos, only to find out that my Shadow Warrior (with a fair amount of skill points) stood around fat, dumb, and happy, never attacking when I used WW.

I'm looking for something to compliment my playing style, which is to cast Venom, BoS or Fade, and BS, and then start BF'ing away. In mobs, I cast CoS or Mind Blast to thin the numbers, or just WW out if I get surrounded. I'd like something that gave me a percent bouns to AR (since my gear gives plus to AR right now), but it's up around 6K, which hits well enough in Hell.

Any recommendations on skills or revised equipment is helpful. I'm especially looking for someone to point out skills I may have overlooked or to give a compelling reason to keep increasing the skills I have already picked.

2. Phaeax

Phaeax IncGamers Member

UPDATE:

I put my points into Shadow Master and have found her assistance to be quite useful. She tends towards traps with a lot of enemies on the screen and as they start to die out, she switches to martial arts. All in all, she is more effective and lasts longer than my merc.

The only problem I have is that BF's hit rate seems to drop when someone else is attacking the same enemy, and both the shadow and merc like to attack whatever I'm attacking. I can switch up targets, but then my companions just start, swapping targets too, looking like a couple of kids with some kind of attention defecit.

Anyway, hope someone finds this info useful.

3. Shadow752

Shadow752 IncGamers Member

Well if you didn't use ALL of your points on the shadow then I suggest putting the rest in CoS as it helps you hit more and ups your defense. More points here also allows more duration for the blinding effect on the monsters and it is also good to use in PvP.

4. Phaeax

Phaeax IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info.

I'll probably put my remaining points there. I've been using it to stop ranged attackers and to keep groups from surrounding me, but I forgot it gives a decent penalty to target defense (effectively like increased AR).

5. Shadow752

Shadow752 IncGamers Member

Glad I could help. Enjoy playing with your assassin :)