Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

q's about upgrading

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by TurboDuelr, Apr 7, 2004.

1. TurboDuelr

TurboDuelr IncGamers Member

q's about upgrading

I have an eth knout with 358%ed/ 258 max dam, curious as to if i upgrade again, how many levels it will go up. It was at lvl 48 as a flail and now its at lvl 53 as a knout. If i upgrade it again would it stay under lvl 58? or what level would it be? how do you calculate that? thanx for the help.

2. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

When you upgrade an item you have to look at the original level reqs (in your case 48) and the reqs of the base item you are going to upgrade to (Scourge is 57) and take the highest - 57.

Then you have to add 5 if it has been upgraded normal->exceptional and add 7 if it has been upgraded exceptional->elite. So if it double upgraded, add 12.

So if you upgrade again it will have required level 69.

3. Variable_Angel

Variable_Angel IncGamers Member

incase you wanna know

if you upgrade an ethereal item it goes back to normal

4. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

The above statement is almost entirely untrue.

5. Variable_Angel

Variable_Angel IncGamers Member

So i'm not saying whose right or whose wrong, i'm just telling you where i got my info. i'd really like this cleared up, cuz if the above statement was wrong i wanna be able to upgrade my ethereals

-Roux

6. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

Etheral weapons can be upgraded and will still recieve the etheral bonus, etheral armours if upgraded will lose the etheral bonus (but will still break!). On top of that, upgraded (etheral or not) armours will spawn with a varying base defense, whereas if the item comes with +x% defense, it will start with the maximum possible defense (plus 1), but only before it's upgraded! This is why you it's possible to upgrade a non-eth Gaze and end up with a lower defense than before.

7. treldonis

treldonis IncGamers Member

This is true for armor but not for weapons. I upgraded both types

8. Hatebreed.

Hatebreed. IncGamers Member

why do u even wanna upgrade a flail, they suck period. obviously except for runewords, but upgrade osmethin else, the dmg in ne flail is crap

9. Cujo

Cujo IncGamers Member

Because it will become a scourge with same stats when upgraded, and in this case it could wield a damage of 21-549, so it might be worth it if you had a zod..

10. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

I'm sorry, I knew I should have explained what I said :) I was just being picky, which I wouldn't normally do on a forum, but this is a forum about pickiness...

Ethereal items have several extra properties. They are grey/transparent. They cannot be repaired. They require 10 less Str and 10 less Dex to use them. They have "Ethereal" written on them. Eth weapons also get a 50% damage bonus and eth armour gets a 50% defense bonus.

When you upgrade an ethereal armour, it is still ethereal. It still keeps all those ethereal properties except the 50% defense bonus. Now, I concede that is the most important property, and as such I also recommned against upgrading ethereal armours.

When you upgrade an ethereal weapon, it is still ethereal and retains every benefit of etherealness.

The other armour upgrade bug, the fact that base defence is re-rolled even for %ed armours, applies to all armour, not just ethereals.