Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP Whirlwinder

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Frozenmax, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Frozenmax

Frozenmax IncGamers Member

PvP Whirlwinder

My next project will be my first PvP character, a whirlwinder.
    I read most of the guides, and know a bit about them, just wanted to get some opinions, mostly about my gear:

Arreat's
    Verdungo
    Steelrend
    Gore riders
    Ravenfrost
    Angelic combo
    Beast zerker
    Grief zerker (I know I have to get at least 34 ias)
    Enigma

I was wondering about the weapons mostly, is that the best combination? And can I survive without a shield?
    If I decide to go cheap, is it possible with a fortitude armour instead of an enigma?
    On switch I will probably have a 3/3 cta, to spare me one skillpoint on battle commands, and a +3 warcry weapon, both for prebuffing.
    Please, advice would be welcome...

2. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

Use highlords. The ar from angelics isn't needed except vs other wwbarbs and possibly some HIGHdef paladins depending on your charms.
    DONT use rends, draculs is better in ALL duels.
    Grief+beast is best, yes. Shield is ONLY needed vs other wwbarbs, and you wont kill any decent bvb-ers with a bva/bvc-build anyway so dont bother.
    Enigma is necessary vs anything that teleports. Dont bother with fort, go base str/close to base str with enigma bp instead.

3. Frozenmax

Okay, I'll go without a shield then, without angelic combo, and without fortitude.
    I'll get highlord's, another ravenfrost(?), and a breast plate enigma.

I need to calculate though if I can go base strenght...
    Base is 30, plus 20 from anni, hopefully if I can get one..., plus about 65+ from enigma, is 115, which gives enough for dracul's, which gives 130, which gives enough for arreat's, which gives 150. That is more than enough for a berserker axe. I could even go with a bit lower anni then. Probably base dex too, because with ravenfrost and arreats I can equip the zerkers...
    So that means everything into vitality...
    55 starting life, +2 per level, +4 per vit. At level 90, 235 life from levelling and starting life. Level 91 gives 450 stat points, plus 35 from the Act 3 quest and anni. 485*4=1940. 235+1940=2175 base life.
    Level 32 bo (6 switch weapon, 2 eni, 1 highlord, 2 arreat, 1 anni) gives 128% life, +5% from enigma. 2175*2.33=5068 life, without charms counted.

Gear:
    Grief+beast zerker, enigma bp, highlords, arreats, dual ravenfrost, draculs, verdungo's, gore riders and an anni. Suggestions on other reasonably attainable charms?

Sorry if this looks like rambling, just making a quick reference for myself, and seeing if it's correct.

4. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

You might need to add a few points in str unless you have perfect beast&anni, since you want to be able to wear CoA along with botd+beast.

5. Frozenmax

First of all, I won't be using botd, but grief and beast. With the beast I have, I need an anni charm with stats of 18 or higher to wear a crown of ages.
    But why a Crown of Ages? Isn't arreat's much better?
    At least I always thought so, and was told so...

6. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

Sry, meant grief+beast ofc.
    You have enough str to wear coa with botd, but not with grief, that was my point.
    You WILL need coa vs druids & meleechars like smiters/zealots. Other than that, arreats is always better.

7. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

i recommend dracul over steelrend.

less str requirement, add str, ow. (which means provide more dmg)

8. Frozenmax

I'll take dracul's, and I'd need a bit more str for CoA, maybe I could make up for that 20 str or so with some charms, so I could switch between CoA/Arreats.

9. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

Just add the 5-10 points in str so you can wear it all the time.
    As I said, if you have perfect draculs/beast/anni you wont have to add any points.

10. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

I put 10 in strenght and 5 in dex. This still gives plenty of vita points, and it makes it a whooole lot easier to equip everything without worrying :)

HoD

11. Frozenmax

I won't spend any stat points, other than in vita. This will be my first pvp build, and it will be a perfect one :p I don't care how long it's going to take me, or how much it will cost, but I will get the means to go no str no dex build.
    It might be a bit harder, but hey, there has to be a challengen somehwere :lol:

12. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

You'll need 20 stat anni, 40 str beast, 15 str draculs and ~lvl 93-94 to be able to wear coa =)
    Good luck with the build, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. And you dont really need coa in that many duels, so you can either just use arreats until you get perfect gear, or switch in botd instead of grief...

13. Frozenmax

I will not spend stats other than vitality! Gaah! :lol:
    I guess I will just use arreats then, untill I get the perfect gear, or I could us some life/str sc's to make up for the str I still need for the CoA.

14. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

Make sure to do that =)

15. Frozenmax

Thanks for the advice morotsjos, your guide on d2jsp forums was very helpful too.
    However, I still don't know what to do, if I shall go BvA or BvC.
    With no block, BvA isn't that viable is it?
    And if I go BvA, should I just follow the skills in your guide?
    Aka, WW, mastery, bo, leap max, 1 berserk, 1 other masteries. This will need 92 skill points, or level 81. What to spend my points in after that?

16. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

That guide is horribly old and I take no responsibility of it anymore ^^

You need block vs other wwbarbs. Simple as that. Personally I dont like to sacrifice 1.5-2k life just to be able to duel some barbs.

After that I suggest you divide your pointes between inc speed and natural res. Max leap isn't necessary, just get ~lvl 22-25. I like max though, its fun to annoy people with it =)

17. Frozenmax

Hehe, lol. I will go no block then, not even a shield in stash, and will probably still max out leap. I'll shoot for level 92, which gives me 11 points to divide into nat res and incr speed, after their initial first point.
    Btw, shouldn't I use arachnid instead of verdungo? Or switch according to opponent?

18. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

switch according opponent.

In general, max block > max vita. Cuz u want to be prepare to face any kind of builds, UNLESS u only duel caster. Beside, u can kill most casters with block if ur skilled.

19. Frozenmax

But if I'm skilled, I also can beat almost anything withOUT a shield.
    And I just like shieldless more, and all vita.
    The only problem I will have without a shield, I guess, are other barbs, if they do have a shield. If they dual-wield too, it's even.

Without a shield I just have to become good at the DoD.
    Btw, what is the best way to practice and become good at the DoD?
    Just whirling around act bosses in pvm, in triangles or what?

20. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

yes, it's true. But without a shield, u wont be able to take on any ww barb with shield.