Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP Week December 2008

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by maxicek, Dec 16, 2008.

1. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

PvP Week December 2008

To go along with PvP week, I thought it would be a good idea to do a bit of a write up of the previous days activities. If anyone has any screenshots, comments or can do a write up for me, please feel free to add to the thread. Hopefully it will inspire more people to start playing PvP, if not this week, next time maybe.

Monday
    Apologies if I get any character names wrong.
    Monday saw Naab hosting with the imaginatively name PvP_Baba. Corrupted played his Fire sorc, Darkooo played AC-DC a lightning sorc. Bassano joined with White_Shade, a bone necro. DX was there and changed characters so many times (including a Trang's necro) I had trouble keeping up. A poison / GA Amazon called Hunting_Ploopy was his final choice though. San was there for a while too, but I forget which character.

The game started as a free for all (FFA). I was playing my WW/Trap assassin, Pris. As almost the only non teleporting character, it was hard staying out of trouble. There were so many spells flying around that I could barely see the screen at times.

We split into teams and I fared a little better, support from Naab and Darkoo helped, but corrupted's Fire sorc is evil and took it's toll. I came back with my latest PvP sin, Karina, but let's just say I think she may be better suited to 1vs1.

I left to get a stronger character and returned with de_Carabas, my Liberator. Hammers and charge for the un-initiated. The teams settled down as myself, Darkooo and Bassano vs DX, Naab and corrupted. There were some epic matches, but I think on the whole Naab's team got the better of us. I did have my best game of my PvP career to date too. Corr managed to tele onto a hammer. My team mates died about this time, leaving me 1 vs 2 against clouds of poison and a teleing WW barb. I managed to get Naab with a hammer, but also walk into a poison cloud in the process, leaving me at one health. So the only option was to charge after the Amazon, as standing still to cast hammers would mean an arrow inthe face. Eventually I caught up with her, and got the kill.

I still spent more time collecting my body than being alive at the end of the game, but it was fun. Yes, there were several Enigma's in the game, but there were enough builds without to prove that you don't need it to play PvP.

Thanks for the games everyone, looking forward to more tonight.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. bassano

bassano Diabloii.Net Member

Re: PvP Week December 2008

I can add some my screens from yesterday too
    at first thanks to all it was gg

Max forgot about my main dueling char yesterday my windy named Wind_Spirit
    at start I did some duels againist naabs WW barb and after first duel I knew that it will not easy :)
    [​IMG]
    then another players started to join and at one moment we played 3v4
    [​IMG]
    sometime I killed even more than one player
    [​IMG]

but my best PvP moment came at time when we played me,corrupted and DX vs naab,max,darkoo and san beacuse at one moment corrupted was out of game and we tried 2v4 and 1st who died was my teammate so not so good for me 1v4 but then......
    [​IMG]
    in order darkoo,naab,san and on the end even max I killed them all shame that max traps killed me just after he died :)

then I switched to my bonenec White_Shade and in team with darkoo and max I sometime had nice moments too with corrupted and naab kill in one game
    [​IMG]

I was glad play in team at first with corrupted and DX whitch hepl us very wit his curses using poison necro (I sometime failed in team game and I was not able to protect corrupteds bowazon with my windy) and then gg too in team with darkoo and max beacuse his hammerdin was good protection for my bonenecro beacuse naab and corrupted were very dangerous

I hope that we will see today again :)

edit: max sorry for last duels I was just tired :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  3. Zhao_Yue

Zhao_Yue Diabloii.Net Member

Seems like the calibre of the everyone has gone up tons in the time I was away. :thumbup:

4. Naab

Naab Diabloii.Net Member

Ooooooooor you've just gone lower:D

5. maxicek

Tuesday

The Cast
    White_Shade, a bone necromancer - Bassano
    Jezebel, a Bowazon - corrupted
    II, a Fireball Sorc - corrupted
    Garithos, a Templar/Vindicator - Zhao_Yue
    Priapism, a bone necromancer - colony
    AA_AA, a WW Barb (BvC) - colony
    AC-DC, a ligtning sorc - Darkooo
    Inigo_Montoya, a Vindicator/Templar - maxicek
    Atalanta, a Bowazon - maxicek
    de_Carabas, a Liberator - maxicek
    ?? - DX
    brick, (a Smiter?) - jjscud
    manbearpig, a dual dream zeal sorc - Naab
    Hoop, a Telesmiter - Naab
    BiteMe, a Blizz / Lightning sorc - Jae

(Sorry for being rubbish, but I can't remember the name of the builds/characters for jjscud, Naab & DX - help someone please - And did I miss anyone?)

We started with a Free For All. There were so many casters teleporting around, it was difficult for me to find a space to run through. The air was thick with Fireballs, bone spears and lightning bolts. I honestly don't think I got a single kill at this point. The V/T was a new character for me, and I spent most of my time tying my fingers in knots trying to get my keys sorted out. I think some practice is required PvM on the Blood Moor.

We then split into teams. For some strange reason, my Paladin was extremely attractive to the brunettes on The Moor. He soon discovered they only wanted him as their conviction gimp. So I spent my time charging in the action, whilst the sorcs blasted away. Of course this made me a big target for everyone on the other teams to take out first. One game Bass was proving troublesome for our team to mop up at the end and I managed to get him with a Fist of Heavens, but that was about my only kill.

I came back with Atalanta. She proved to be a better killer, as long as some else took out the Barbs at the beginning. Twice the games ended with Atalanta vs White_Shade alone on the moor. Alot of running was required, but I managed to get the kill both times. I think the longer range of Guided Arrow was a big help here.

The game then went to FFA again for a bit, which is a bit hostile for a bowazon. There is no way I could get enough resists / damage reduction to be strong enough to take more than one hit from anyone. So I came back again with my Liberator, de_Carabas. FFAs were chaotic as usual, I'm not sure which characters had the most kills, but corrupted's fire sorc and the bone necros seemed to do well.

We then teamed up again into 3 teams, initially a 2 vs 2 vs 3. After some team re-shuffling I was with Jezebel, corrupted's bowazon. This proved to be a nice combination. Jezebel could fire away and get kills from behind the hammer field, with a nice damage boost from the concentration. I have the suspicion that we got ganged up on a couple of times, as there seem to be a lot of people atttacking us at the same time.

Overall a great second night, and as colony said in the PvP thread, it was great to see a full game. I will try and take some sceenshots next time, but is is normally a sure fire way to get killed.

More again tonight I hope. Pack some warm clothes everyone, I may try my sorc for a bit.

Thanks to corrupted & colony for hosting, and everyone for the great games.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  6. bassano

I have some screens for add them :)

yeasterday I did only bonenecro duels
    jjscud paladin was brick :) dunno whitch build
    and jaedhan had BitMe blizz/light sorc on start of evening whitch pwned me many times

party screens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and my best kills :)

[​IMG] 4 kills

[​IMG] 3 kills then max killed me wit bowazon

[​IMG] 2 times in line same scenario :)

I was on team with zhao bonenec and corrupted firesorc in that time

[​IMG] even priaprism I beat once :)

I have no here many screens when I died many times so it is not how it seems :D

on the end we did with colony duel White_Shade vs Priaprism and I lost 4:1 so I am far from good yet :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  7. Naab

Naab Diabloii.Net Member

I tried out 2 chars yesterday,first was a dual dream zealsorc,who even though has some expensive gear on her,couldnt really kill anyone since 7fpa zeal just sucks and also its not very healthy to get near people with only 2,7k life.
    The other char was a telesmiter, who did a bit better, but was also quite hard to play since (good) telesmiting is one of the hardest moves to accomplish in d2 pvp imo...He got a few kills,but nothing big.I think ill stick to the BvC next days ;)

8. maxicek

9. Zhao_Yue

My first character was a Bonemancer. First time back in a long time so I wasn't very effective as all I could do was teleport and fling spirits around, so opponents just outran my slow projectiles. I did tank Colony's barb well.

Second was a Templar/Vindicator. A little better but I was having trouble switching to FoH/Conviction when I'm charging around - apparently my keyboard doesn't like me switching to both skills exactly at the same time when I have the Shift key down. So I just religated myself to be a walking aura for the sorcs.

Unfortuately can't dual today but I'll try to get on tomorrow.

10. maxicek

Wednesday

The Players
    (I really need to write these down when I am playing. Once again sorry to those who I have forgotten, please let me know so I can fill in the gaps.)
    White_Shade, a bone necromancer - Bassano
    II, a Fireball Sorc - corrupted
    Wind_Druid, an ermm... Wind Druid? - colony
    Sorceress, a hammerdin / Liberator (no, not a typo) - colony
    Atalanta, a bowazon - maxicek
    Karina, kick/bow assassin - maxicek.
    Pris, a WW/Trap assassin - maxicek
    Serenity, a blizzsorc - maxicek
    (sorry, I forget the initials), a blizzsorc - Naab

A bit of a quieter night last night, but some good games none the less. Despite saying he was going to stick to his BvC above, Naab was hosting with his blizzsorc. I joined with my blizzsorc and we had a few "interesting" duels. Neither of us could take more than one hit from the other, so it was a game of cat and mouse. Basically whoever took the offensive lost.

So I came back for a bit with Karina, my experimental assassin. I read some stuff in the Assassin forum about how, with 20 point in Mind Blast, Shadow Master almost auto MBs for you. Well I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but I certainly didn't. The character is extremely fast and could out run Bassano's teleporting bonemancer. High level Dragon Flight worked OK. Maybe with some more practice she could be playable, but she is definately more of a 1vs1 character. In FFAs she got pwned.

I then played my WW / Trap assassin in some FFAs, but I prefer her 1vs1. I got some kills with her, but with all the tele characters it is difficult not to get outflanked and caught like the meat in a sandwich. So, yet again, I rejoined with my bowazon, Atalanta. With only 3/4 of us in the game, she had enough space to run in the FFAs and performed quite well, especially since one hit from either Naab or Bass meant "Goodnight Vienna" for her. Thankfully Dodge was working quite nicely. She is hard work to play though, watching not only the other players, but trying not to get caught on the terrain when running is tricky. Run, fire 1/2 arrows, run more... I got some nice kills with her, including Bass 3 in a row. But a bit of friendly in game taunting made her a marked woman by White_Shade and it was tricky from then on. (expect screenshot from Bass on this :)) Great fun though.

Edit: Forgot to say, there was a good lesson why max block is important for necros & sorcs - several times they were chasing after me with arrows going dink, dink on their shields. I think I counted about six block in a row by Naab in one game.

Colony was in game with Wind_Druid at this point. I ended the nights games as I started them, playing my Blizz sorc. I only played a few games with her, but managed to get pwned by Col or Bass every time. More practice required I think.

Another good nights gaming, thanks to Naab for hosting and everyone who played. Shame we haven't seen any new players yet. If you have a reasonable PvM sorc, trapper or hammerdin, join in and have a go. You may just find a whole new part of D2 is opened up to you.

And where is Denton these days?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  11. Zhao_Yue

No more summaries max?

Yesterday I used my Lightning Trapper. As with my previous 2 characters, remember how to use my hotkeys were a pain. The matchups I had (via teams or ffa) were:
    - vs Bowazon: Hard to MB lock a running zon, involved alot of chasing. Had to get the Wake of Fire firing under her while she had the swirlies and then finish with Lightning Sentry.
    - vs Fire/Lightning Sorc: It's difficult to MB lock a fast sorc, especially if she plays defensive. My bad reaction time was exposed here as they could teleport near and blast away a few times before I knew what was going on. I did manage to get some off screen kills. =P
    - vs Shock Ranger: Hard to kill because of stacked resistance and aura and he was smart enough to charge away when I had him in MB lock. He did get me a few times.
    - vs Trang's Poison Necro: Even with stacked resists compensating for Lower Resist, his poison was deadly. His cursing was especially dangerous with elemental teammates. He was pretty durable too, so had to be cautious against him and use range against him.
    - vs Wind Druid: Once I got him in MB lock, it was game over for him. Although he put up a good fight and got in some good telestomps.

Today was 2 different characters. I tried the Ghost first and I think this is the first time I took her out for some real matches. In terms of hot key craziness, this build probably ranks near the top.
    - vs BvC: Unwinnable match here as I cannot trade whirls with this behemoth.
    Best I could do was stun with MB and traps while my teammate bashed away.
    - vs Wolfbarb: A tough matchup as his massive life could easily soak up my puny damage.
    - vs Lightning Sorc: He must have been really bold today and he would tele right onto my screen and blast away. This gave me a chance to tele-whirl but my nub mistake was not MB-trap and Tri-whirl enough to get additional damage. Chalk that up to nubness. Finishing was all from MB (usually from the Shadow Master). =P
    - vs Smiter: Hard matchup as his high defence was hard to overcome. He wouldn't behave by staying still when I locked him. All I could do was whirl into him when he charged.
    - vs WW/Trap Assassin: I was playing sloppy here, I should have spent more time MB locking or unsummon-tele-ww. Instead I chased him around while his traps chipped away. I would trade ww with him but more often than naught he'd have the more life by then.
    I tried a Wind Druid next and it was back to simplicity. All he needs to do is unsummon-tele-nado, pretty simple. Remembering the proper hotkeys was another matter.
    - Didn't do many matches since I had to leave shortly. I tried stomping the Lightning Sorc a few times but she was a bit too fast and only did minimal damage. I did catch the Bonemancer from afar and blew a few nados into him until he fell down. But he did get revenge in the next match by hiding in a house and catching me with a Bone Spirit train when I was exposed.

12. maxicek

Thanks for stepping in with the write up ZY. I'm a bit pushed for time during the day over the weekend so the summaries will have to be a bit shorter.

Thursday - No Game.

Friday
    I started with my Blizzsorc, Serenity. She is powerful, but blizzard doesn’t have the rage of Lightning or Fireball. I also had problem with the Blizzard timer. You cast a Blizzard, tele away, come back to cast another Blizz and just sit there because the timer is still going from the last Blizz. More practice required here I think.

Next up was my Liberator, de_Carabas. Considering all the tele characters that are in the game, he is one of the most effective that I have. He has fast movement thanks to charge and great irresistible damage in the form of hammers. As long as I don’t get stuck on the terrain, he can chase and put pressure even on Darko’s sorc. Trouble is that I have to try and get charge hits vs fast chars or lure them into a hammer field. Stopping to cast a hammer when chasing is a sure-fire recipe for a lightning bolt in the face.

But eventually I get bored of save and exiting because of the charge bug. The best way to prevent this is to not die in the first place, but easier said than done when corrupted is flinging 20K fireballs at you.

So I came back with my Bowazon, Atalanta. She is one of my favourite characters. She has trouble with some matchups, Colony’s BvC especially, but does OK considering her low HP and lack of tele. 150FRW goes a long way though :) Sorcs are interesting to fight. Quite often the game came down to a roll of the dice – did D/A/E kick in on that lightning bolt or not? If yes I stood a chance to get an arrow off. If not… Curtains.

Saturday
    Wind_Spirit, a wind druid - Bassano
    White_Shade, a bone necromancer – Bassano
    Ambin, a telesmiter - Bassano
    Priapism, a bone necromancer - colony
    AA_AA, a WW Barb (BvC) - colony
    AC-DC, a ligtning sorc - Darkooo
    Pris, A WW/Trap Assassin - maxicek
    0_0, a wolfbarb - San
    Illidan, a WW Ghost assassin – Zhao_Yue
    (I think I got everyone for once?)

Last night I joined with Pris, my WW Trap Assassin. As anyone who frequents the trade thread will know, I have spent quite a lot of time trading for good gear for her, and so she is one of my best equipped characters. About the only piece of equipment she really lacks is Enigma. Oh well, maybe next year. So with all this investment, I really thought it would be a good idea to start learning to play her.

The hotkeys on the WW trap assassin are a bit more forgiving than a ghost, but only a bit. With no tele, I had to play a defensive game. Walk the trap perimeter towards the opponent and mind blast. WW come into play when people tele through the trap field. I had similar experiences to ZY really. Col’s barb was pretty much impregnable. No way I can win a WW contest and my trap damage was too low to really hurt him. I could take life off him, but could never last long enough to get the kill if he was coming at me with a full life bar. The other melee characters were similar experiences, but col has the advantage that he can WW out of mind blasts.

She did better against Darko’s sorc. Coming inside the perimeter risked him getting MBed or whirled, staying outside meant getting fried. Similar experience vs Bassano's wind druid. I managed to get a few kills of both with WW, which is much more satisfying than killing with traps.

I had some nice duels with her, a fun character to play once I started getting my fingers around the hot keys.

So the last official night of PvP week is tonight, hopefully people will be around again.

@ZY: What is unsummon tele?

13. Corrupted

Corrupted Diabloii.Net Member

If you know the concept of a namelock this is just a namelock using unsummon (so that you don't waste a casting/attack animation and thus lose speed in the maneuver)
    You might be able to find something on youtube

14. bassano

I tried that unsummon tele againist darkoo but I need more challenge for it only once from many time I was able to did it successfully with tornado spamming after that :)
    next time will be better :)

15. maxicek

Sunday
    Ambin, a telesmiter – Bassano
    Wind_Spirit, a wind druid – Bassano
    Pris, A WW/Trap Assassin – maxicek
    Karina, a Bow / Kick / WW Assassin – maxicek
    Sylvanas, a blizz sorc – Callador
    Sorceress, a tele Hammerdin – colony

Sunday was a bit quieter. Darkooo and Jae were in the game early having a sorc vs sorc battle, but they had gone by the time I was really ready to play, so I can’t report on the outcome of their games.

I joined later with Pris. Bassano was there with Wind_Spirit. As I have said before, playing a non-tele trapper means defensive play. Bass tried many times to get inside my trap perimeter, but whenever he did he got whirled. A couple of times he managed to telestomp me, but generally it was one way traffic.

He came back with Ambin, his telesmiter. This was a much tougher match for me, and in the beginning I thought I would never get a single kill. A bit of careful choosing of my killzone helped. When he came at me I would just have to whirl and whirl through the traps and hope that I got him before he got me. Once I adopted better tactics, I would say it went bout 50/50.

Bass left for a bit and Callador joined with his blizz sorc. With the usual low life of a sorc this was always going to be a tough match. I had no cold res stack on so two blizz hits and I was dead. But fortunately I had a range advantage. Some good duels, but I had the upper hand. Bass came back again with Ambin and we plaed FFA. FFA is a bit dull for me with this character. It is not that she easily got killed, more that the tele characters chase around after eachother for a few minutes and then the survivor comes for me. I can move the trap zone, but they move so fast it is almost pointless. So I came back with Karina. With more practice she could get some kills, but I don’t think she will be out on the moor again in a hurry. Oh well, she was fun to PvM with.

Colony turned up just after Bass and Callador had left. I stayed for about a dozen duels with him. I had better range again, and MB. He had to tele in close and hit me with a hammer at close range, which risked him getting whirled, or lay a hammer field outside the trap zone and try to herd me into it. Both tactics worked, but with weapon block blocking hammers whilst I whirled, I manage to come out on top again. Colony will no doubt blame the effects of his earlier evening activities though :p

So quite a satisfying evenings duels for me. Certainly it helped that many of my opponents were short ranged casters, but I think that I am getting the hand of this character.

PvP Week Over
    Well that’s it, the end of the second PvP week. Thanks to everyone who joined the duels and to everyone who hosted, it was quite a week. Some very impressive games there. The only thing I was a bit disappointed about was that we didn’t see any new players. Hopefully some people are reading this and thinking “Hmmm, that sounds like fun,” and will join in next time.

My next major PvP session will most likely be around easter, so maybe another PvP week then. If anyone else wants to run one in the meantime, please feel free to do so, I don’t have the copyright on this idea :)

max.

16. Neksja

Neksja Diabloii.Net Member

I've actually read the whole thread and followed it, but I won't be able to participate in PvP, because of my Internet connection. Not that stable, that I could duel, but I'm moving to my own place this spring and then I'll take care of that problem. Maybe the next PvP week we'll see some Singer action from me?

17. jdkerr

jdkerr Diabloii.Net Member

I am with you up until the "will join in next time." Unfortunately, I am struggling to get my first batch of regular characters off the ground, much less assemble godly equipment for PvP with the pros. ;) Eventually, though, I do want to join in.

18. maxicek

It's not really about godly equipment, it's more about good planning and keeping an eye on the trade forum. A single tree sorc, trapper or hammerdin can all do well with a little planning, a few wise trades and some running on Hell Meph. Take some advice from the forum, choose a build that suits your means and off you go. Godly gear is not required for all builds. 2-3K Meph runs should net you enough stuff to build a PvP character.

Edit: If your Blizzsorc is max block, you may already have your first PvP character :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  19. jdkerr

jdkerr Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I have a blizz sorc in hell right now, just about ready to start those runs, so that is good news.

20. bassano