Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP Week 6 - Match Reports

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by maxicek, Aug 22, 2010.

1. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

PvP Week 6 - Match Reports

PvP Week 6 - Saturday

Tifa, a WW/Trap Assassinn - frozzzen
    Acheron, a Bonemancer - frozzzen
    GWF_Hegel, a Vindicator/Templar - JDKerr
    Irene_Klaver, a Bowazon- JDKerr
    Gilles_Deleuze, a Wolfbarb - JDKerr
    Sophia, a Blizzsorc - Thomh
    Eikichi_Onizuka, a Wolfbarb - omg
    Amaterasu, a Wind Druid - Nagisa
    Feito, a W/S trapper - Nagisa
    Metula, a Windy - Thomh
    StickySplooge, a Rabies Druid - omg
    SexyHentaiTime, a Poison Amazon - omg
    HerpDerm_Herman, Trangs Poisonamncer - omg
    Karina, Kicker Assassin - maxicek
    Bane, a BvC WW Barbarian - maxicek
    BearChest, a Fuzzydodger - Pyro
    Seigyoku, a bowazon - Pyro
    FluffyKitten, BvC - Pyro
    Sapphire, a Firesorc - Pyro
    Zippy, a Firesorc - Jaedhann

Well as you can see from the above list, it was a busy night. I could hardly keep up with all the comings and goings, it was like everone wanted to try all theri PvP characters in one night. (Pace yourselves guys, we have all week!). I hope I have go all the characters listed and the right names against each, but there are sure to be some mistakes. Let me know and II will correct them.

I was hosting, so couldn't change much. Kickers are difficult builds to play, so possibly not the best choice for the first night when I am feeling a bit rusty. She has lots of pre-buff if I do everything - Venom first, then CtA, then switch to bow. I quickly got bored of this and just played pure kick with CtA on switch. I eventually go a couple of kills, but one of my best moments was when I managed to MB and stunlock Thomh's windy and a kill off his minions. I almost had him before I ate a Tornado.

I had to re-host so JD could bring one of his characters into the game, so I switched to BvC. It is a new character for me and I struggled to get to grips with him. There was a lot of Melee to begin with and that didn't help. And of course omg's hax poison characters.

As usual, lots of fun though.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. maxicek

Re: PvP Week 6 - Match Reports

As I said in game, I will try to at least post the characters each day, but I am busy in the week so don't have much time for full write ups. Any anecdotes, or game write ups from a different perspective, are gratefully received.

3. maxicek

PvP Week 6 - Sunday

Metula, a Windy - Thomh
    FluffyKitten, BvC - Pyro
    Sapphire, an ES Fire Sorc - Pyro
    FrozenBeef_II, - colony
    Sorceress, a hammerdin - colony
    DoraTheExplora, a telezerker - omg
    Pwncone, a Dream Bear sorc - omg
    Ultraviolet, a W/S trapper - maxicek
    Aeon_Flux, a Ghost - maxicek

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  4. maxicek

Pyro hosted what was a bit of a quiet night. Thomh was there when I joined with his Windy, but left after only a few duels, I think Nagi was there before I joined. I decided to play my Ghost, Aeon_Flux. For the uninitiated, Ghosts are primarily an anti-caster build. So I spent most of the time fighting melee builds. I did a series of 1vs1s with Pyro's awesome BearChest. With Dodge and block alone I only had a 10% chance of hitting, and that is before defence. omg brought his bear sorc too and it was two hairy women chasing one who knew how to wax. Interesting duels and by no means easy. I'm not sure I prefer Aeon to my WW/Kick assassin, Trinity, though.

Colony joined and after a few FFAs we split into teams. Several changes of characters and I can't remember what the exact matchups were, but I spent most of the time ruining colony's win record by playing badly, getting killed quickly and letting him fend for himself 2v1. Sorry col.

A word needs to be said about omg's wolfbarb, Eikichi_Onizuka. I have duelled several of these before, but never really worried about them. This one is insanely quick, thanks to an inventory of 1.09 FRW charms and a 1.07 Mav's belt. Charging Paladins are left in his dust. A very nice character, I had alot of trouble with him and had to resort to teleporting backwards and forwards over those boggy bits of ground to slow him down whilst traps fired in his face, with limited success.

Don't let it be said SPF PvP is filled with cookie cutters! Hope to see you all later.

5. maxicek

PvP Week 6 - Monday
    Vivien, an ES Fire Sorc - frozzzen
    Bane, a BvC WW Barbarian - maxicek
    Akari, a Bowazon - Nagisa
    Alicia, a Ghost Assassin - Nagisa
    Rena, a C/C trapper - frozzzen
    Geada, a Blizzsorc - Nulio
    FrozenBeef_II, a Blizzsorc - colony
    AikaSumeragi, not sure.
    Amaterasu, a Wind Druid - Nagisa
    Im_ABarb, a BvC WW Barbarian - colony
    StickySplooge, a Rabies Druid - omg
    Metula, a Windy - Thomh
    HerpDerm_Herman, Trangs Poisonamncer - omg
    Sofia, a Blizzsorc - Thomh

Contrary to what the posts in this thread may indicate, I am actually playing with real people and not just writing a random list each day.

I hosted with my BvC, Bane. We had a busy game, full at one point which is always nice. I sucked. Teams, FFAs, 1v1s, I still sucked. I got a couple of kills, but spent more time watching the water on the bridge at the rogue encampment that fighting. May try the windy tomorrow or back to something that I know how to play a bit.

6. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

I shall relieve you of your embarrassment Max.

I don't have anything else to talk about so I will document my own encounters of the day in a wholly narcissistic way.

When I showed up there was a large free-for-all going on including, but not limited to based upon the extent of my meager memory, Bane, Rena, FrozenBeef_II, Alicia, Geada, and AikaSumeragi (omg). I had brought Seigyoku, a bowazon. I was fearful of being 1-hit by blizzards so I swapped out my Stormshield on my switch for a pretty blue sapphired monarch. The 160% cold resist takes my resistance from the deep negatives to 75% but I don't think it does much at all against cold mastery which probably plunges it back to -100%. Using this blue shield I walked out into the field of battle. Upon the immediate start of the duel I began to fire off arrows. An assassin of unknown ancestry came upon me and I managed to swap to my javelin and shield but in half a second flat I was the first out of the match. Okay, there are lightning traps about. Those are more of a threat than blizzards so upon retrieving my badly mangled corpse I dutifully took my pretty blue shield back to my stash and picked up my pretty golden topazed shield. This time my lightning resistance rose from the deep negatives to 80% due to fortitude. Smugly I strode out onto the moor and awaited the start of the duel. This time I fired some arrows again before I was suddenly caught in a blizzard and I was dead before my head hit the ground. Once again, first out, you're it. I didn't see any traps that time and cold seems deadly, back to blue. Once I again I strode out and this time I made sure to find myself a nice hideout in a far corner of the map to cower from all of the cruel sorceresses and amazons. I thought I was safe as I spammed my spammy arrows, but up snuck a different assassin who's plagued boots kicked me to death. Third time, first out, thanks for playing.

Now, once could be bad luck, twice could be bad planning but three times means I have to accept it. I'm a failure. Thus I parked the bowazon and returned with another character. Since I had left the game, though, everyone was thinking I was going to come back with Sapphire and pick up the fragments of my ego the easy way. A couple of people brought back their meanest sorc-killing characters but I popped in with BearChest the streaker. Even though a fuzzy dodger is a niche build it can take a disturbingly large amount of beating. In the continued free-for-alls I was able to find an unwitting assassin and tank all of her attacks as I whittled at her life. One kill. Ego restored. ;) With over a third of my life left I strode on. Aha! There's a bvc who with just a sliver of life left. Swipe swipe. Two kills. :balloons: Now it was just me versus an ES blizzsorc. I ran and ran but alas, even though my thick furry coat was built for surviving the long winter months my short little legs wouldn't work fast enough to catch the drug-addled pixie.

Once another player arrived we switched to 4v4 teams. A fuzzy dodger was basically no help as our team was massacred again and again. Back to the bowazon. Bowazons are made for team duels and safe inside the cluster of teammates I was able to put the glass cannon moniker to good use.

If you read that, I put my hat off to you. That stream of consciousness ought to make Faulkner seem clear as daylight.

7. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

:)

Someone with a decent PC+connection should set up a stream at for this event, could possibly help getting more players into PvP ;)

Here's a small guide over at TeamLiquid. Although aimed at SC2 I don't see why it should be much different for D2.

8. maxicek

Interesting idea Corr, live PvP broadcasts would be awesome. Just need to find someone who can set it up now.

Since 1.13 came out the excuses for nor playing PvP seem to be evaporating. If you have the desire to play, it doesn't take that much to get together the runes for Enigma these days. (not that I want to perpetrate the myth that you need Enigma to PvP - a look at the character list demonstrates that).

I think the fear of loosing is one of the biggest factors. And anyone seeing my antics last night definately won't be worried :badteeth:

Will we see you on The Blood Moor this week?

Edit:
    That's quite some website Liquid has set up, no wonder we haven't seem him around here much recently. :p

Yeah, bowazons are a great character to have on your side in teams. We did pretty well when you switched. I think when you have a bowazon on your side it's all about protecting her. I did a few runs to get rid of the poisonmancer (about all I was good for). Quite often I got poisoned to death, but by then you could take him out with arrows. GG.

9. scrcrw

scrcrw IncGamers Member

Yes, please. I've been considering a move from HC to SC/PvP for a while. A fancy stream (or some more Youtube clips) would surely push me over the edge. :thumbup:

10. Thomh

Thomh IncGamers Member

@scrcrw: Do it! I have done the switch and have no regrets:)

Heh, my actions on the moor also shouldn`t scare anyone. I think I`ve gotten one kill the last two days, but the first day was better:)

However, and this is from a guy completely new to PvP, this seems wrong to me. Sure, Enigma (and whether or not it`s needed is a moot point, I don`t think it is) isn`t so hard to get, but that`s only part of the equipment problem. Much more serious is the vast amount of items from older versions (Wizardspike, BKWB, charms, CtA etc) and various cheese (e-bugging as an example)). A lot of this stuff is hard to get your hands on, and gives the character using it a really big edge, and there is also the problem that some people won`t engage in all the cheese for ethical reasons. Really good charms are also hard to get, but I can`t imagine they are as much a problem as getting an extra 20 [email protected], an extra +skill or a much higher BO from the same items others have in later versions. A few houndred life and a +skill won`t break your build, but having the same amount of extra life multiplied by a 1.10 CtA, 20 extra res all (leaving space for a lot of extra mana/life charms which in turn are getting multiplied by the same CtA) and another +skill gives a cummulative effect that certainly is problematic.

Don`t get me wrong, I don`t care about losing and will practice for the life of me to improve the odds, and I`m not delusional and saying that my lack of experience and skill in PvP isn`t the primary reason why I don`t fare too well when characters filled with items like that are in the game. I also don`t really mind people doing all this stuff, as I was well aware of the different characters through some research before I started, and certainly not when they are playing niche builds like omg`s Rabies Wolf and Pyro`s Bearzon, but here`s the kicker:

Brutal honesty coming up: I don`t see how bringing sorbing characters optimized with all the "hax" known and allowed on this forum and stomping new players is any sort of "friendly, non-competitive way to introduce new players to high level dueling". The people are friendly, but that does in no way mean that the games are. When an experienced PvPer brings one of these insane characters to the Moor and can afford to make 4-5 more mistakes than the newbie and actually capitalizes on this fact, it feels a little bit like bringing a Block constructed deck to a Pro Tour in Extended, if you are familiar with Magic the Gathering. It can be fun to try a game or two, but playing something you have less than 10% chance of winning against even with equal skill will get boring really fast. A lot of my problems with this might come from my natural disdain against some of these cheesy practices, and I might be biased by that and thinking it`s a bigger problem than it is. I`m sure someone will correct me if that`s the case.

Thanks for doing the write-ups Max, I have a lot of notes at home and will try to write up some of my thoughts on the actual dueling some day. The problem is work and when I actually have time to write something, I`ve been on the Moor:crazyeyes:

11. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

If you don't fare well against decked out characters, then simply ask the person who is playing them to do less. If you have a full game where 1 person is constantly cleaning every one out, just ask him to bring another toon. If you have a problem with someone who has a beta cta, ask him to use a regular one.. most people who have the first will have the second. Or just borrow his. You can ask a lot from others in-game. Use that.

12. Thomh

Thomh IncGamers Member

I might have come off a little more annoyed than I really am. The real point is that the whole framework around PvP might scare people away and doesn`t seem like a friendly playground at all.

It might be a little off-topic to bring this up in this thread, but now is a good time as any. There are a huge number of elitists on this forum that might be scared of the rules we`re playing by now. Lots of people won`t touch e-bugging, time traveling and various other cheese. My point is: They won`t be able to compete at all with people who use all this, which means everyone is playing by the rules of the "cheesiest". I don`t see why it has to be that way.

I`m thinking it would be more accessible if we raised the bar for what is allowed to not including every bit of cheese in order to include more people. It might not make a difference in the interest in PvP, but I know it kept myself from trying it for quite a while.

13. maxicek

An interesting point of view Thomh. Perhaps we do need to review the rules again, particularly with respect to earlier versions. The trouble is that it is sometimes the earlier versions that make the niche build viable. It is the 1.07 Mav's Belt and 1.09FRW charms that make omg's wolfbarb so quick. If you penalising the items affects the niche builds more than the high end ones. But I certainly think 1.07 LoH need to be added to the banned list.

Personally I don't normally play with anything more than maxxed resists, and on most of my assassins not even that. I just can't be bothered to switch the gear around all the time. And as for slowmg's pre-buffing antics...

Anyway, all discussion based around PvP Week is allowed in this thread, so no problem. It's good to get other peoples points of view.

14. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

I loved the games yesterday!

At the beginning it was harder, lots of sins and the fact that my PvP char has ES makes me a favored target, I guess...

I noticed I was playing better in the end and more aggressively, which was more fun for me and probably for the others.

I think I got some amazing kills, I remember when it was just me and another ES Blizzsorc left, I was mainly trying to land Blizzards and the other Sorc glacial spikes mainly (I think) and I was a little more defensive. Then I noticed that I had much more life and starting to pursue and managed to win.

I was also very happy whenever I managed to kill a sin, but they would kill me often and most of the times. Mostly because I still don't land many blizzards and I'm not very effective with the glacial spikes.

I also recall when I had to step up my game to be able to kill BearChest. I noticed how Pyro would dodge every blizz and started to spam spikes and would only cast the blizz when my-future-fur-coat would make its move.

What was almost epic... In one of the 4vs4 games (where I sucked big time when the games were starting, I wasn't able to discern party members very well even using the minimap) I was the only party member left and was against 3 or 4 enemies. I managed to kill all but one with almost no life, and was then killed for thinking the game was paused and approaching that last enemy careless.

The rabies druid left me sometimes with only 1hp but I remember one game that I was still able to put up a fight after that.

Other games I won because the opponent would stay without blue pots. Most of the time I try to sneakily blizz and trying to make others pursue me in order to avoid traps and leaps while trying to predict their trajectories to land blizzs or spikes. Sorry if sometimes makes others spend all pots or wait for a longer game to end.

15. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

ES should be banned. That is all.

16. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

Rules are also out of date, but as long as no one is doing anything ill mannered (dual doom switch on BvC vs Bowazon) they are fine. On issue of 50% sorbing LoH - they are fine as long as you use them as only sorb source.
    If standard class cannon bowie uses them, her resists will be barely positive and regular 75% FR will protect other people more then 15FR and 50% sorb.

As for you Thomh, I had exact problems like you when I started PvPing. I started with Windy and trappers were really popular those days. They were also much better geared then me.
    You know result? I was "getting smeared all over the Blood Moor" playing with underpowered wind druid with +1BO CtA. My skill was also rock bottom.
    In the end I have what I have now. Some of my characters are pretty strong even if I say it myself. Both characters and you will only get improved so it should be better given time.

I'm not sure if you don't want to use items from previous patches but from tone of your post it seems so. I can't see anything wrong with this practice; 1.07 hax is part of SP just like Anni/Torch are part of bnet. They shouldn't be considered cheesy at all. Imbalanced, yeah sure, but not cheesy.
    There are actually only two items that can make or break your character - beta CtA that we all know, and notorious 1.07 Valkyrie Wing. I have both of those so I can tell you first handedly that they are really broken stuff, however you must also understand few things:
    1. How did all those players get those crazy stuff?
    Some have worked hard to get them, hitting thousands of rack before they got their 1.07 hax (Wizzy, Valk, whatever...). Beta CtA is 99.996% times made from HF rushing - boring to tears. And then multiple times for good roll. that takes lot of time. I myself paid really high price to get my beta CtA and Valk. I no longer have Tyrael's Might cause of that.
    2. Even if we remove number of hax what would happen to people/characters that are using them currently? Number of people that are using ATMA bugged Grief/Beast are veterans of diablo that are no longer interested in PvM play and they won't be able to make new ones.

You see why it is hard to raise the bar on what is/isn't allowed? It's pretty much like trying to do forum wide restart but only with fewer players. Those things are too long among us :(

Now to some positive criticism to you. Don't get offended if I tell something wrong :wink:
    I think you took wrong approach while making your characters for PvP. You should focus on one character and one character only. That is at least my opinion. By doing that you invest more wealth in character, play more with him and become better.
    Your 2/3 characters are all decent, but you should invest more in one of those and make him your primary character. Pick a build that suits you, and try to make it capable of beating every other character. Then focus on other characters one at a time. That is at least what I did.

17. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Beta CtA only became standard because people want to remain competitive. If the first few guys hadn't started using them they wouldn't be "mandatory". I still only have a +4 or +5 bo CtA.
    I see no need to ban all pre-1.10 items, but why not ban a few of the ridiculous ones? 1.07 shako, 1.07 valor, beta cta, bramble, bugged griefs. Atleast people should ask if its OK to use them I think.
    The reason I've lost interest in SP PvP is because with the current ruleset its mostly about Rock/Paper/Scissors and latency.

18. Zhao_Yue

Zhao_Yue IncGamers Member

If the Rising Sun is banned, why isn't 1.07 LoH banned also. They were banned in previous tournaments, how did they make a comeback?

It's almost like squeezing 3 dwarf stars into 1 slot.

19. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

The rock/paper/scissors can be kind of frustrating, but is reduced with more people in the game and a variety of possible characters.

1.07 LoH should be banned, but to do so would not be to make a major change to the ruleset so much as to make the letter of the ruleset more consistent with its spirit.

By "friendly, non-competitive," I never understood that folks would be rolling over for me on the Moor, but that they would have a friendly, non-competitive attitude while they still tried their best to beat me. In my case, that means I get beat a lot, but the environment makes it a good time. :)

As for one character vs a few, I like having four playable characters. When I used to have just one (which is how I started), I would get bored quickly. PvP weeks were never a problem, because one character is fun when the Moor is full of people, but the day-to-day two or three person duels became tiresome with no ability to switch characters. Of course, this particular PvP week I am relying almost exclusively on the new love of my life, Gilles_Deleuze, but that is a different story. ;)

Lastly, I have no problem with items from previous versions. They are available to everyone in principle. If someone has ethical problems with them, don't use them -- your victory will be that much sweeter when you win. Besides, I do not think they make an enormous difference. Perhaps this is just because I don't use them, but squeezing a few extra life points out, while nice, isn't going to break your opponents' builds. I think a "1.13c only" player who devotes time and energy to rerolling and works up an impressive set of charms is probably going to be better off than someone who spends his or her efforts time traveling.

20. Naab

Naab IncGamers Member

I don't understand why items from previous versions(apart from LoH and rising sun with their way too much absorb) should be banned.People work for them just like people work for getting runes running lk for fortidude, cta etc in 1.13. Noones telling you not to do same.

And Pyro i liked your posts and you should do more, very entertaining. That Bear you talked about was Bearzon i believe?Think i've only seen that used once in pvp when i played:)