Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP Week 5 - The Game Write-ups

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by maxicek, Apr 2, 2010.

1. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

PvP Week 5 - The Game Write-ups

As usual I will try to write up each night's games as we go. Any contributions in the form of videos, screenshots or anecdotes is gratefully received.

PvP Week 5 - Thursday

The Players
    Pris, a WW/Trap Assassin - maxicek
    Sapphire, an ES Fire sorc - Pyrohemia
    OddBlob, a Bone Necro - Pyrohemia
    FluffyKitten, a BvC - Pyrohemia
    BearChest, a fuzzydodger Amazon - Pyrohemia
    Tifa, a WW/Trap Assassin - frozzzen
    Faithless, a Liberator - frozzzen
    Stratos, a Wind Druid - frozzzen
    ???, a lightning sorc - frozzzen
    Leda, a ES Orb sorc - Darkoooo

I was hosting, so only one character for me. I have re-specced my original WW/Trap assassin, Pris, to take advantage of Enigma, so I thought I would give her a try. This was the first time I have played PvP since PvP Week 3, back in the summer last year. I started out very much in PvM mode - too much trapping, not enough MB - but the fingers gradually started to remember what to do throughout the evening.

Pyro's fire sorc is a tough opponent and dominated most of the rounds when she was played. With 200FCR and a strong ES she was difficult for me to get close to to WW, and the traps were only tickling I think. Similar characters are always difficult to duel and frozzzen definitely came out on top of the Hybrid vs Hybrid battle. All the lightning everywhere makes it very difficult to judge whose traps are whose.

Pyro went through a phase of character build selection ADD and tried a number of characters. Necros often struggle against Hybrids, because of the poor FHR, and against two he didn't like that choice. The fuzzydodger was an interesting build, but one of the cases where the guide overstates the builds effectiveness IMO. (*cough* Kodiak *cough*). FluffyKitten, a 7K life BvC Juggernaut, was much more effective. Pyro and frozzzen even had two simultaneous KOs in a row. Pyro was getting confused by the desync, so changed back to Sapphire in the end.

frozzzen had a brief try with Faithless (great name), a new Liberator. I find getting the keys down for a Liberator even more difficult than a Ghost as you have to change skills on both RMB and LMB. I think he had similar issues, so didn't play the liberator for long.

Darkooo made a welcome return to The Blood Moor with his ES Orb sorc, Leda. She performed well against the other characters, but had one big problem - she couldn't dent Sapphire's ES. We split into teams for a bit, Pris and Leda vs Stratos and Sapphire. Darkooo and I managed to run them close a few times, but Sapphire was always the problem.

All in all a good nights duelling. I hope to see more people on The Moor over the weekend. Come on people, 1.13 rune drops and re-specs have removed two of the biggest excuses for not trying PvP, come and have a go.

2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

Re: PvP Week 5 - The Game Write-ups

I have to say that I'm far to busy with RL to put much/any time into pvp. I'd like to, but I'd much rather finish my master's thesis in a reasonable amount of time. I intend to do some pvp when the summer starts, but I just don't have time for it now. :(

I haven't even updated to 1.13c yet.

3. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia Diabloii.Net Member

For the Fuzzydodger, since I knew I was fighting characters with traps I should have not stuck with my entire inventory being full of damage and/or AR charms. I really should have fixed my lightning resists and maybe brought in some Tgods rather than acting out a practical joke.
    I'll bring some gear swaps more than just bear prebuff equipment next time. :whistling:

Glass cannons don't work in sandstorms, they just melt away.

Edit: I don't think I have ever had success with the BvC on someone else's host. With a little lag you can't chain teleports into whirlwinds. With more lag my whirls get stuck in one spot and then randomly kill people who aren't even on my screen. Not really the controlled killing machine a BvC is supposed to be.

4. nulio

nulio Diabloii.Net Member

I'm in a rush right now. Sunday and Mondy I'm certain that I'll be in time to join the games :D

Geada, Blizz ES Sorc - sponsored by frozzzen

5. maxicek

PvP Week 5 - Friday

The Players
    Kyouju, a Bowazon - Nagisa
    Zhora, a Trapper - maxicek
    Slayer, a BvC - San

Friday was a bit busies than Thursday, but by no means full. I was hosting again, so I had to choose a single character. I was torn between a claw/claw trapper and a weapon/shield trapper. I went C/C in the end, but that was probably a bad choice. I cleared the Blood Moor and Nagisa joined with a bowazon. Just the build I could have done with max block and 50% DR against. We had a few 1 vs 1s which Nagisa had the better of.

frozzzen joined with Tifa and we payed some free for alls (FFAs). I think frozzzen was avoiding me and wanted to play with the bowazon, because most of the time it ended up the victor of that match coming to find me. Zhora's high trap damage was pretty lethal when it hit, but a few times I was getting taken out by invisible guided arrows. I really should have pressed Kyouju harder rather than trying to rely on range, but getting the kill on the bowazon before I got hit 3 times and died wasn't easy.

Pyro joined with BearChest, his fuzzydodger. I take back what I said about the build yesterday, he did pretty well, certainly in a FFA. I could lock him up fairly well with mind blast and wake of fire, but he still took some killing. On at least two occasions I had the bear locked up only for Tifa to come up behind me and kill me with a trap when I was concentrating on the bear.

frozzzen switched to Stratos, Pyro switched to Sapphire and San joined with Slayer, a BvC. We split into teams and had a few games Slayer & Sapphire vs Zhora, Kyouju and Tifa. Bowazons are a great team character, but you have to protect them. If the bowazon stayed alive long enough, our team won. If she died and left the two assassins vs the fire sorc, we normally lost.

Some very strange lag events (at one time Nagi had two characters in game - before it crashed) brought the evening to a close, but it was a good night of games.

6. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa Diabloii.Net Member

The bear was absolutely awesome. Not sure how it got those kills given how slow it moved though. :tongue: The fire sorceress was just a tad more annoying. Anyone else get dizzy trying to follow her movements?

On a side note, Kyouju is incredibly squishy, so I still think you should've been more aggressive. A few arrows won't hurt. :wink:

7. Pyrohemia

It is hard to squeeze in tons of faster run/walk while keeping up damage/life as this build is so gear dependant. I have 58% at the moment: 30% circlet, 25% war travellers (a 1.09 staple and I finally use them for their damage), 3% fine SC of inertia. I have stuck a few more things into my stash now so I could add up to 113% more if I really didn't care about anything but speed. Only really useful when trying to run down a bowazon 1v1.

Your arrows hurt my mana alot so I had to act super conservatively. I couldn't ever come right up to you because of A) lack of high speed skill on my part, and B) a dozen guided arrows on my tail. :p
    Part of that plan to be super conservative was to intentionally teleport around you to make you dizzy while looking for an opening. I'm glad to see it is working as intended. :D

8. Zhao_Yue

Zhao_Yue Diabloii.Net Member

Max, I asked in game how many different Assassins you had since you brought so many different ones. I was told you had 7 ... do you call them the "7 deadly sins"? :wink:

9. maxicek

Thing is that when you have the gear for one, you almost have the gear for all of them. 1.13 re-specs has helped as some of my pre-Enigma assassins have now been updated. I have:

Pris, WW/Trapper
    Ultraviolet, W/S trapper
    Zhora, C/C trapper
    Katinka, Max MB C/C trapper
    Trinity, Speederlander sin (Kick/WW Ghost)
    Karina, Kicker

Pris_II was made as an enigma replacement for Pris, before re-specs came. I will probably re-spec her to be a Hybrid that emphasises Trap damage.
    Trinity_I (in fact my original Trinity re-named) will probably get re-specced as a pure Ghost. 102FCR if I can get a Cham for my 1.07 Valk.
    I have another in progress, but I'm not sure how PvP viable she will be.

So six built, two to re-spec, one in progress. Maybe I should stop at seven so I can name them as you suggest. But you could argue in my hands some of them won't make the "deadly" criteria. :scratchchin:

10. maxicek

PvP Week 5 - Saturday

The Players
    FluffyKitten, a BvC - Pyrohemia
    Vivio, a Poison/Bowazon - Nagisa
    Ultraviolet, a W/S Trapper - maxicek
    LV_MKII, a bowazon - Zhao_Yue
    (name someone please?), a firesorc - Jae

Saturday saw Pyro hosting, with his BvC, FluffyKitten. Fortunately I had made a good choice in character, as I joined with a max block 50% DR trapper. When Nagisa joined shortly afterwards, with a Bowazon, the choice was looking even better. This was the first outing on the Blood Moor for Ultraviolet, and I was quite pleased with her performance. Despite her low life pool (2.6K ish) she was much more durable than Zhora the night before.

Jae dropped in briefly with his fire sorc, but was having big ping problems so left again. frozzzen joined with Tifa. The FFAs were fairly well matched, with most people being left the last person standing on few occasions. Quite often FFAs depend on what order the players get taken out, or so it seems to me. On a few occasions FluffyKitten got poisoned by Vivio, leaving me only to finish him off with traps. If he came at me with a full life bulb it was a different story. That took a lot of teleporting and trap laying to kill him. Often in these situations I got sniped by someone else. I did get his down from full life a couple of times I think, but generally he had the better of it.

I am please to report that PvP week has managed to tempt Z_Y out of his retirement (or away from Travian), and he joined with his bowazon. frozzen came back with his Liberator. We played a few free for alls then split into teams. Ultraviolet, Faithless and LV_MKII vs FluffyKitten and Vivio. Our team won the opening few rounds, even after frozzzen left and we were 2v2. But Pyro and Nagisa got it together and won all of the latter rounds, at least until I decided to call it a night and crawl off to bed.

(maybe someone can update on the rest of the night)

Another good nights duelling, but the problem remains that we can't seem too attract new players to PvP.

11. Zhao_Yue

After you left, Pyro changed to his Fuzzydodger, I changed to my BvC and Nags stayed with his Bowazon. We did a 3 way for about an hour, Pyro was inclined to chase Nags around the moor, but my telestomping disrupted their pattern. Nags was running from Pyro but they both had to switch to walk when I showed up or I'd get in free hits.

My WWs were making Pyro dodge so quickly that his character constantly appeared as a human druid.

12. Zhao_Yue

You know you want to make that 7th Assassin. Otherwise my awesome naming powers will have been for naught.

I saw Colony, Liquid and a few other old school duelers browse either this thread or the PvP one, they didn't even drop in to say hello ... me sad.

13. maxicek

I think Liquid is trying to preserve his win record by not venturing out onto the Blood Moor. He can't loose if he doesn't fight ;)

14. colony

colony Diabloii.Net Member

I'm going to try and play a few games tonight, but I can't host for some reason, even though I've forwarded the ports, and I'd obviously prefer a European host.

15. Zhao_Yue

Sequena and Schleomp, I see you reading the PvP threads ... you can come in also too. :crazyeyes:

16. sequana

sequana Diabloii.Net Member

I didn't upgrade to 1.13 with my SC stashes yet, I only play 1.13 ladder now. I'm very conservative person and I don't like spying ;).

And I always wanted to ask, do you write wrong spelling on purpose? I bet yes as it always hits my eyes :grin:.

EDIT: But seriously, I'm considering to return back to some pvp, but probably I will want to think out some new char, I'm a bit bored with all my old ones. But my problem is that I would like some unusual build what is easy to play (read not many keys, something like FO sorc where one doesn't need to change any) and still powerful to not be kicked all the time. :)

17. maxicek

PvP Week 5 - Sunday

The Players
    Geada, a Blizz sorc - Nulio
    Kyouju, a Bowazon - Nagisa
    Vivio, a Poison/Bowazon - Nagisa
    Zippy, a firesorc - Jae
    Thrall, a C/C Trapper - Zhao_Yue
    Medivh, a Wind Druid - Zhao_Yue
    Trinity, a Ghost assassin - maxicek
    Priapism, a Bone Necro - colony
    Flame_Grilled, a Fire Sorc - colony

Sunday started with nulio's first time on the moor. We ran a series of 1vs1s so that he could get a flavour of things. It's a fairly steep learning curve when you first start playing PvP. You quickly find out how little you know about playing the game, even with a character as familiar to most as a Blizzsorc. Nulio stuck with it, and we split into some FFAs.

At this point the game quickly filled up, Zhao's taunting yesterday must have worked. We had an eight player game with BearChest, Geada, Kyouju, Medivh, Priapism, Tifa, Zippy and Trinity all slugging it out. Chaos reigned (as in confusion, not my claw). It was one of those Blood Moor maps where it is divided by the river, so eight players in a small area was pretty intense. It's difficult to say who had the best of it, I suspect colony though.

We split into teams 4v4. I think it was Trinity, Kyouju, Geada and Sapphire vs Priapism, Medivh, Zippy and Tifa, but I may be wrong. The other team won all the 4v4s I think, but it was good fun. Nulio got his first two kills and left on a high point, with frozzzen and Jae leaving shortly after. The game emptied as quickly as it filled.

I got some nice kills last night, catching the 200FCR fire sorcs was hard though. Priapism was a diffficult, we were the last two on the moor and had a very close battle, colony ending up the victor. Teams changed and we went back to FFAs. In the end it was Trinity, Thrall, Kyouju and BearChest. I had a lot of trouble with Zhao's W/S trapper, that block makes a big difference.

Best night's duelling of the week, hoping for some more tonight.

18. Pyrohemia

Those teams are almost right, just swap me (Sapphire) and Jae (Zippy) around. I only get to wish that I was on the side of the merciless arrows.

The fuzzydodger wasn't very successful yesterday. I can't remember getting any kills during the beginning FFA's nor when I came back later. Still, she was a laugh and that's all that's necessary.

19. nulio

nulio Diabloii.Net Member

I think that in the 4vs4 we had one win each. The second game I think the last two were Zippy vs. Sapphire, after some Fireballs killed me (baaaah instead of pressing the teleport hotkey after a blizzard I pressed the ES hotkey... me sad), and Zippy won.

Great games :) Thanks again

20. Zhao_Yue

Only play 1.13 ladder? Cattlenet? But you're still posting here in the SP forum.

Heh, got your attention. :whistling:

Sure that would be good.