Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP Week 3 - Duel Reviews

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by maxicek, Jul 21, 2009.

1. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

PvP Week 3 - Duel Reviews

This thread is for write ups of the PvP week duels. Please feel free to add comments, pictures, screenshots etc. I'll try to do a write up for every nights duels, but if anyone wants to step in to help out, they are more than welcome to.

Monday

The Players
    Rei_I, a Bow / Lightning Trapper, Tanksaabas
    Rei_III, a Kicker, Tanksaabas
    Wind_Druid, a Wind Druid - colony
    Im_ABarb, a BvC - colony
    Aurora, an Energy Shield Fire Sorceress - maxicek
    Zhora, a Lightning Trapper - maxicek
    Trinity, a WW Assassin - maxicek
    Satoko, a Bow / Fire trapper - NagisaFurukawa
    Hayate, a Blizzard Sorceress - NagisaFurukawa
    Fluor, a Venommancer - bassano
    Kricket, a Smiter - Pyrohemia
    Tesla, a Lightning Sorceress - Pyrohemia

I started the game with my new trapper, Zhora. I'll do a mat thread about her after PvP week. Tank was already in the game with Rei_I, his bow / lightning trap hybrid. colony was hosting with his new barb, I'm sure most people have read the mat thread.

I haven't played a PvP game since before Christmas, so I was a bit rusty to say the least (excuses, excuses....). With relatively low teleport speed of an assassin and about 50% claw block, colony's behemoth of a barbarian was tearing me to pieces. I didn't do much better against Tank. Traps and a bow is an interesting combination. He could camp behind a wall of traps and fire off arrows at me. I hate trap vs trap because I can never tell whose trap is whose. I end up moving towards my wall of traps and then getting a LS in the face because they actually aren't my traps. More from Zhora later in the week.

I came back for a brief period with Trinity, but then swapped to Aurora to give Tank some practice vs a sorceress with his kicker. I'm not sure it helped him much as Aurora could pretty much tank him. I think Tank left and Pyro joined with Kricket at this point but I may be wrong. Bassano came briefly with his venomancer until his laptop started overheating. We played a few team games, once I managed to one hit kill Bass with a meteor. Colony dominated but the high defence of Kricket gave him a few problems without Angelics.

People left for a bit and I had a series of 1vs1 duels with col. Despite the fact that my fireball damage is about 16-17K, with his high life this meant I would need about ten hits to kill him. This was my first outing on the moor with the character, so it was a steep learning curve, particularly against a character specifically designed to kill casters. The first few duels ended very quickly. I didn't win any, I'm measuring my success in number of hits. I think I managed about 3-4 at best, maybe I will be able to get ten in before the week is out - or not :\

Pyro re-joined around this point, and Nagisa joined as well with Hayate. Colony then had 3 sorcs to play with. We played a few 1 vs 1s and then teams and also 3 different element sorcs against 1 barb. These duels went about 50/50 I think. Staying near the blizzards was the key, these took a big chunk of the barbs life. If col took out Nagisa early generally we lost. Interesting duels though.

I re-joined with Trinity again. This is not my original Trinity in the Mat/Pat thread compilation but a new one re-built for Enigma. I'll do a write up on her after the week is out too. Nagisa re-joined with Satoko around this point too. We played a few 1vs1s and then free for alls. The stun capability of Satoko's fire traps was impressive and the damage wasn't bad either. A Dwarf star and Nokozan Relic may take care of the latter, but there is no room for those on a Ghost. If I could pressure him out of his trap zone I could get the kill, but a few time I teled into the traps and got locked up. Pyro switched back to Kricket which was relief for everyone as it gave colony a harder opponent. I traded a few WWs with colony. On one occasion I think I came off better, but I don't expect to win WW battles against his longer range.

Altogether a relatively quiet first night's duelling, but fun none the less. Nice to see some people I have never duelled before, and Pyro's first time on the moor since 1.09 BNet - I hope you will stick with it.

More duels tonight.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. Tanksaabas

Tanksaabas Diabloii.Net Member

Re: PvP Week 3 - Duel Reviews

GG writeup , somehow I got really tired and didn't show up after I promised to return. Still the pvp week is ongoing so plenty of games ahead.

also I think the poisonmancers name was Flour.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  3. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia Diabloii.Net Member

I never saw Bassano so I think that I came in after he left.

4. maxicek

A short write up today as I don't have much time:

Tuesday

The Players
    Hopefully I got everyone, there were lots of changes:
    Fluor, a Poison Necromancer - bassano
    Wind_Spirit, a Wind Druid - bassano
    Redux, a Lightning Trapper - Schmaleop
    BaloonLoony, a Blizz ES Sorc - skiffcz
    de_Carabas, a Liberator - maxicek
    Im_ABarb, a BvC - colony
    Priapism, a Bone Necromancer - colony
    Flame_Grilled, a Fire Sorc - colony
    Sorceress, a Hammerdin - colony
    Rei_I, a Lightning Trapper - Tank
    Rei_III, a Kicker, Tank
    Sulfur, a fire druid - Sequana
    Miyo, Poison / bow amazon - NagisaFurukawa
    Hayate, a Blizzsorc - NagisaFurukawa

Tuesdays game was busy. For much of the evening it was full, even some people left and other joined straight away. It is great to see PvP games so full.

We played a few 1vs1s but most of the night was played in teams or Free For Alls (FFA). 3v3, 4v4, 2v2v2 were all played with varying degrees of success on all fronts. Someone said in the "Why don't you play PvP?" thread earlier in the year that they preferred co-operative play. From last nights experience, PvP teams is all about co-operation. Play as four individuals and you are picked off quickly. Protect your sorc, support melee character with Mind Blast and your team will go a long way to winning. Great fun, 2v2v2 was chaotic to say the least, maybe even more so than the FFAs.

I played two characters. I'm slowly improving my skills with my WW Assassin. I'm not going to call her a Ghost because that's not strictly the build. When the author of the guide says its a difficult build and don't expect to win much in the beginning though, any kill is a bonus at the moment. Still, she is fun and I think I play her better than my Liberator, de_Carabas. I'll give some of my other builds an outing later in the week, but I aim to play Trinity the most.

Bass will hopefully be along later with some vids and screen caps that give the impression that he killed everyone in every duel :p

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  5. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa Diabloii.Net Member

Mainly because he did. :p. I have at least one screenshot of him cleaning us all off the map, but it will never get released, at least not by me. :D.

6. Tanksaabas

You also forgot that bassano used his windy on day 2.

7. skiffcz

skiffcz Diabloii.Net Member

Erm, this is probably the thread to ask ... the bm rules say no mass slow, so that leaves riphook out, yes? I was thinking about trying out OW/fastazon build, but it has this issue ...

8. bassano

bassano Diabloii.Net Member

yeah tanks my wind spirit did not let enough sign even after 5 kills in one FFA :)

full game was really nice and as you can see in videos, sometime was big confuse during 4v4 teams :)

PvP1
    PvP2
    PvP3
    PvP4

I will put even some screens later

9. Tanksaabas

10. colony

colony Diabloii.Net Member

Good to see just how imaginative my names look up there next to everyone elses. I always get confused with that many people and end up just aiming stuff at red crosses on the map without any real tactics, probably explaining why I'm much more comfortable with my necro and sorc in big games.

11. Tanksaabas

Hah I identify the builds by name rather well now , if I see Im_ABarb , Wind_Spirit (or wind_druid) and Redux on the minimap I run like hell away from the red x.

12. skiffcz

I run any time I see something starting with Rei_ :whistling:

13. Schmaleop

Schmaleop Diabloii.Net Member

Nice vids Bassano.

I like the end on Vid 1 where you can see me hunting down Tank as we both run past you and the pursuing continues vaguely noticable on the mini map :)

I'll make sure to remind him of that at frequent intervals :thumbup:

14. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa Diabloii.Net Member

Nice videos bassano. Does that slow you down much to record them?

It should be hunting season when you see those names. :p.

15. bassano

bassano Diabloii.Net Member

colony: for me lock in FFA between many players is good challenge and in TvT I likely played with poison necro beacuse for team is much more usefull then windy and it was even more funny

nagisa: not so much but without recording was little better to control mouse

schmae: your trapsin is my nightmare :) If I will be too desperate I will bring smiter to bring justice in moor

tanks: I like to play with you in one team beacuse we sometime just have good tactics :) and your assasin is good for team

16. skiffcz

Well, after todays party time, I can say only one thing:

Nagi is a hero of the day ;)

17. colony

colony Diabloii.Net Member

18. maxicek

Wednesday

The Players
    As usual, apologies for anyone that I forgot - I try to write the names down as we play, but I don't always remember:
    Fluor, a Poison Necromancer - bassano
    Wind_Spirit, a Wind Druid - bassano
    BaloonLoony, a Blizz ES Sorc - skiffcz
    Atalanta, a Bowazon - maxicek
    Zhora, a Lightning Trapper - maxicek
    Priapism, a Bone Necromancer - colony
    Sorceress, a Hammerdin - colony
    Im_ABarb, a BvC - colony
    Rei_III, a Kicker, Tank
    sparkly_frostll, a Lightning/Orb Sorc - Jaedhann
    MainBlizz, a Blizzsorc - Jaedhann
    Satoko, a Fire Trap / Bow Assassin - Nagisa
    Hayate, a Blizzsorc - Nagisa
    (Beef?), a BvC - Pyrohemia

Not quite as busy as Tuesday, but a busy night none the less.

I joined the Trinity to find clo and bass in game with Priapism and Fluor respectively. Trinity is exactly the build that should eat these for breakfast, particularly with the poor FHR breakpoints of Necros. The trouble I have is chaining the Trap, MB, Tele, WW sequence together without pressing the wrong keys or my opponent escaping. It's a steep learnig curve, but I managed to chain some together, so it's improving slowly. No kills against these two though, but I do enjoy playing her.

Tank & Skiff joined us and we played some FFAs and teams. I managed to catch a few people during these with Trinity. I always think of a Ghost as a bit of a loner build, more suited to 1vs1 or small groups rather than a true team player. So I switched to a build that is better for teams, my bowazon Atalanta. I think I played her quite well last night, I had some great duels including a triple kill at one point. Being chased by two sorcs at the same time was interesting. I had a very long 1vs1 with Skiff and eventually managed to bleed his ES Blizz sorc dry. I don't think that anyone truly dominated during these games, but bass and col as usual were often amongst the last players on the moor.

Teams and FFAs continued with Jae and Nagisa joining. I switched to my Trapper for the last hour, Zhora. I played her much better than I did earlier in the week, Mind Blasting more effectively. We played teams again, myself and bass's Venommancer against the rest - Skiff and Nagi's blizzsorcs and Pryo's barb. They were good duels, I think in the end bass & I had the better of it.

As Skiff has already said, I think the star of the night was Nagi. Playing from halfway accross the globe with high ping he played very well, with both characters, often being the only team-member left against a teleporting trapper and a venomancer, and a few times winning the games.

Great games all, thanks to Skiff for hosting, looking forward to more tonight.

19. Schmaleop

Schmaleop Diabloii.Net Member

The trick i've found, with my limited Ghost experience thus far, is that once you've got out of the 'panic' stage of playing and become more relaxed and patient it seems to play a lot better.

I started off trying to switch far to quickly and ended up often than not in WW lock. Once I gained some composure and learnt to trust my MB more I slowly got the hang of tele-WW combo.

I sort of do & don't agree with you 'loner' statement.

A ghost is best suited to killing alone yes, but when you team up with another dmg dealer then the ghost shines in shutting down highly mobile targets, allowing team mates to swoop in and pick them off.

I tried this a bit with colony on Tuesday without actually discussing it. I tried to just MB a sole target at times and wait for colony to turn up for the easy hits. This was quite good on a trapper so on a ghost i'd imagine it could be deadly as a tactic.

20. maxicek

@Sch: I agree with you on the team play - MB/WoF support for another character works well, but getting no kills yourself can get boring. The other tactic I use it to try and get around the back and pick off a straggler. This works well against sorcs who are hanging back.

As for the keys, I think it's just practice - keep playing her, don't expect too many initial wins etc. Certainly I can't really complain about my gear :)