PvP tele-zealot?

wooginator

Diabloii.Net Member
PvP tele-zealot?

I'm always trying to think of builds I haven't done before and this seemed like it could be interesting and a good solution to the age-old problem of zealots being a relatively inflexible build. Standard zealot skill layout, with this gear:

Coa (for all the reasons anyone ever uses it)
Enigma
35% paladin spirit
Arach
Magefists or trangs
2x Ravenfrosts
Metalgrid
Grief zerker
Waterwalks or maybe gores

Gets you to a solid 75 fcr, 4 frame zeal, and 86% fhr if you add a charm of any kind (85% otherwise). Would this work well? Is it something already conceived that I haven't seen?

biko

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: PvP tele-zealot?

Use trang gloves, gores, hl, grief pb. Rest is fine.

The build is nothing new or revolutionary, tele zeal has been used by many for a long time.

And it is definately an alright build. Alot of fun in pubs if you ask me.

wooginator

Diabloii.Net Member

Why would I use grief pb? I can hit four frames just fine with a griefz and it has a longer range which is good for casters. And I might use highlords vs some casters but I like to keep my ar and resists up. Good to know it's been done successfully before though.

biko

Diabloii.Net Member

Pb because it doesn't break and because you'll have stacked ias with it. And sorry but not using hl is like, the most fail thing you can do. The ds does insane things for your damage. You'd be a thousand times better off getting the resists from charms. Besides, hl has 35 lr which is pretty much the most important one. And you should have enough ar already, not to mention the fact that it, too, can be gotten from other places. You'll mostly duel low defense casters, the only ones you would need ar against are hammerdins and barbs and their def isn't even that high. Smiters will own you either way so it doesn't matter.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

Why would I use grief pb? I can hit four frames just fine with a griefz and it has a longer range which is good for casters. And I might use highlords vs some casters but I like to keep my ar and resists up. Good to know it's been done successfully before though.
If you tele, you don't worry about range.

wooginator

Diabloii.Net Member

True, I suppose. Res charms are expensive though. I'll have to see how my resists stand without metalgrid. Of course it's not like I can afford the berber coa that this build should have either so it's kind of a moot point.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, res depends on the shield, but I only just noticed the combo of CoA and Spirit. What base, and do you get max block easily still?

wooginator

Diabloii.Net Member

For spirit I was hoping a sacred targe base, in which case I get max block with 155 dex at level 90 assuming a level 30 holy shield, which is quite doable. Would you suggest a different helm? I'm open to ideas, since a coa with worthwhile dr is kind of prohibitively expensive.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

CoA is fine...if you duel melee. You don't have the DR or block to duel other melee. You won't have as much defense as normal, and block will definitely be a factor there.

If dueling casters, Spirit is fine in any high res base, but the CoA is obsolete. IDK enough about them to suggest an optimal choice, but I know you won't need DR there.

Skullbash

Diabloii.Net Member

CoA is fine...if you duel melee. You don't have the DR or block to duel other melee. You won't have as much defense as normal, and block will definitely be a factor there.

If dueling casters, Spirit is fine in any high res base, but the CoA is obsolete. IDK enough about them to suggest an optimal choice, but I know you won't need DR there.
Coa is nice against windies, barbs, ghosts, and wolves.
Shako is nice against casters, but it's just so fugly.
And actually Kira's with a good jewel in it is nice for stacking resists.

wooginator

Diabloii.Net Member

Good point about the kira's, skullbash. I'm a fan of that. And yeah, I was going to say Coa is great vs windies against whom you really need dr. Also, max block is max block, whether I get it with a spirit sac targe or with a hoz or an ss. So yes, I do have the block to duel other melee, and while my emphasis is on casters, I don't like to make builds so ineffective against any one character that they simply have to bow out of a duel.

Edit: Of course, now that I think about it there's almost no situation where I simultaneously need dr and resists, so I could swap out the coa for a less expensive kira's/ber'd gaze which only has 3% less dr than a berber coa with perfect base dr.

Last edited:

quickA

Diabloii.Net Member

Coa - when u need physical dmg reduction
Kira - not really , get resists from charms.Maybe and just maybe to stack cold.
Gulli face - works wonder vs necros/hdins.Pumps up your damage.

Telezealer is a weaker version of smiter.Its ar dependent , can be blocked.
Also is much more expensive considering the best inventory for him is made of max / ar / life small charms.
Pick wisely.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

Coa is nice against windies, barbs, ghosts, and wolves.
Shako is nice against casters, but it's just so fugly.
And actually Kira's with a good jewel in it is nice for stacking resists.
I'd forgotten about windies. :whistling:

VS the rest, it goes back into the block discussion, but the Ghost and Wolf don't usually go head to head with a tele zealot anyway.

wooginator

Diabloii.Net Member

Coa - when u need physical dmg reduction
Kira - not really , get resists from charms.Maybe and just maybe to stack cold.
Gulli face - works wonder vs necros/hdins.Pumps up your damage.

Telezealer is a weaker version of smiter.Its ar dependent , can be blocked.
Also is much more expensive considering the best inventory for him is made of max / ar / life small charms.
Pick wisely.
As far as your hint that I should just make a smiter, everyone makes smiters and they bore me. Some people duel to win, I duel to play with unusual builds that I never see around. I also don't go all out on gear because it really doesn't make such a huge difference unless you're playing someone else with the same build in which case it all comes down to gear. Otherwise you can generally tell who you'll beat and who you won't with basic gear. Coa is too damn expensive when I can just use a ber'd gaze and only lose 3% dr vs a perfect berber coa. I'll keep what you said about guil's face in mind though. I forgot that it has deadly strike. I don't want to shell out a bunch of money on resist charms though when I can just use an um'd kira's.

quickA

Diabloii.Net Member

I didnt say that you should make a smiter.I hate em too.
Im going to give it to your straight.If u cant afford at least a coa , stay away from melee chars.They require an ultra expensive inventory.
Do as u wish but you are in for a big dissapointment.

biko

Diabloii.Net Member

You don't HAVE to have a perfect inventory.

And smiters and zealots are very different.

I would say just use the best charms you can get, a guillaumes face vs general casters and a ber gaze vs phys dmg chars.

wooginator

Diabloii.Net Member

I've made a lot of melee chars, actually, although they tend to be non-standard (rabies/fury druids, etc), and while a gfg inventory is great and all, it isn't necessary. Most of the time (unless, like I said, you're against the same build) all it does is make you beat the people you were going to beat anyway by a wider margin, or lose by a smaller one. Occasionally it'll really make the difference, but not that often. And yeah, guillaume's, ber'd gaze, and kira's depending on if I need the resists sounds like a good set of helms.

elationtheory

Diabloii.Net Member

hybrid zons and sins make coa necessary.

coa also gives 30fhr.

i suggest building it into your char.

not to mention a coa with good jewels gives better resists performance-wise than kiras. trust me, you don't want to have to make the decision of choosing between kiras or vamp gaze or guillaumes against a hybrid char.

the only time you should take off the coa is when you can get a 2os, high ds, fhr, visionary armet preferably with huge life, and a 2os, +2 skill, fhr, icb rare pally shield with high base resists and preferably life as well.

but those will cost a fortune, assuming you find someone willing to sell it in the first place.

how are you building a zealot without having the wealth for a decent 2os coa btw?

unless you can get a basic one handed eth cruel fools ias weapon, or a perfect damage grief pb, zealots don't really work in pvp. (or a botd or something. but botd is meh)

and those cost way more than a 2os coa.

if you think smiters are boring, you're probably playing them differently from the way i play mine. out of 2+, reaching 3 years of dueling, from pubs to privs, smiters imo are way more fun and challenging to play than the rest of the chars. then again, i build my smiter differently from everyone else and i have my own way of dueling.

to each his own i guess.

Hartside

Diabloii.Net Member

Any grief pb will do enough damage even the worst damage grief will outperform 90 % of rares , guess that's why grief is banned from mellee comps but vs high def chares rares with fools mod are amazing but as you've played fury wolves you'll allready know this probably ps eth rares can do more damage but not many people can afford to get them

wooginator

Diabloii.Net Member

I find smiters boring because too many people make them. They're predictable. I like to make builds that I don't see often. And again, like I said before, you don't need perfect gear to make just about any character (except for things like 35 spirits to hit breakpoints and things like that). A perfect grief pb vs a mid-stat one just doesn't make or break most match-ups. And if it doesn't end up working, I'll sell some of the gear and move the rest to other characters and make something new. No big deal. And as for fhr, spirit gives me a solid 55%, with charms and maybe treks when I need them I can easily hit 86. But you're right about having to choose dr vs resists. Although I don't expect this character to beat everyone, I'm mostly building him to complement my other dueling character who is a sidewinder zon (plague/lite fury/cs/1 point guided arrow). She has trouble with casters. I realize that other characters such as a bvc might be able to more effectively kill casters, but they're boring.

Edit: Hartside, I'm fairly certain grief is banned from gm melee because of the high chance to cast venom. In gm melee you're only allowed to have physical damage, so people like to use ebotdz or edc.