Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

pvp smiter?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by WNxZerker, Jun 19, 2005.

1. WNxZerker

WNxZerker Diabloii.Net Member

pvp smiter?

just wondering how well a smiter would do in pvp?
    was thinking full irathas goldskin and swordback hold, goblin toe and a weapon that adds damage to smite or a ias +skill pally weapon.
    with holy shield maxed and no dex req for gear he would only need about 80 (minus +str from gear) and the rest of points could go into vita.
    smite is itd so no ar worries either. and huge defense if you max defiance for the extra +12%def synergie to holy shield.
    skills would look like:
    20 smite
    20 fanat
    20 holysheild
    20 defiance
    rest devided between res cold and res light or all into sanctuary (for csaters)

with swordback and the unique hand axe you would get 100% open wounds (capped at 95%) and 20% crushing blow (+25% from goblen toe)
    I think the unique scimitar would do better as it has a base weapon speed of -20 and has +15%ias and 15%life steal if you need to use zeal in pvm.

so how do you think it would do in pvp?
    would you change the gear around?

Zerker

2. fredsta54

fredsta54 Diabloii.Net Member

Basically get a 6fpa smite, generals Li tan do is a sick weapon.

dont use s-back, only thing it offers is open wounds. Use a rare barbed shield w/ +pally skills and resists.

The hand axe and scimitar are very nice, but ull need some ias gear to make it work (twitch, deaths combo)

If i were to make a smiter id use

Generals li tan do (50% slow, 50 ias, godly)
    Gob toe or r/w resist boots

Mabye full ithara, or better yet rares that give resistances, but ithara for starting out.

I would prefer hawkmail to goldskin, goldskin is heavy and ugly, and you need cbf somewhere in your gear.

And yes smiters are viable, when finished your looking about 1000 avg physical damage per hit at 4 attacks per second.

Oh yeah, smites range is based on your weapons range so you wouldnt want gnasher or the scmimitar, generals for sure, its range 3, or a +2 40 ias flail.

Fred

3. Fearlessone

Fearlessone Diabloii.Net Member

I've found weapon repair to be a big constraint to using smite in 1.10. Some 'genius' at Blizzard decided that since ur weapons speed determines how fast u smite (as opposed to shields which can offer boosted smite damage, but no ias), to make it lose durability during smiting, which is a major major pain in pvp, especially if u depend on an all-around weapon like a socketed naga. Axes are bad enough to repair, but socketed items are mucho $$$.

A dream weapon for smite would be a +2 pally 40% ias rare cutlass, perhaps with high durability. Getting a +2pal pris rare barbed shield isnt easy either, especially in ladder.

Smite is still a viable pvm skill, despite the lack of synergies in 1.10 for it. Blizzard decided that it was an 'old school' skill, like ww, orbs, firewall, iron maiden, thorns. Too bad they didnt include blessed hammers in that list. smite was never ever an overused pvm skill, pvp yes, but not with pvm.

4. WNxZerker

WNxZerker Diabloii.Net Member

thanks for that guys.
    I really like using smite so I may try a classic smiter if the ladder dosent reset soon. I will go for a +2 pally skills barbed shield full irathas (so dont need res from sheild) and gold skin. most defence will come from defiance synergie. and a rare cutlas that adds Ias but wont worry too much about +pally skills as smite wont increase that much with 2 more skills.
    as for crushing blow and openwounds I will use gobline toes and thats it.

Zerker

5. Barl

Barl Diabloii.Net Member

I've been interested in this for awhile, and once i finish my bvb and hammerdin, I'll probably start a smiter. The unique scimitar is Blood Crescent.

I was thinking of Khalim's flail for the ias, maybe? That could be switched back and forth with a wep with more mods (maybe a 40% ias +2 scepter). Bloodfist looks good, again, for ias, and twitch and sback. I tried this (albeit on a hdin) and it is pretty fast, but I'm not sure what it would be like with fana.

With a pure speed setup like this, what would the damage look like?

6. fredsta54

dont use s-back. Only thing its good for is open wounds. Use a rare barbed shield. If you really want open wounds and dont wanna use blood cresent of gnasher, just use that unique armour that gives open wounds

Fred

7. Still-Xey-Lover

Still-Xey-Lover Diabloii.Net Member

I've shopped a +2 40 ias war scepter :X Gave to a friend.

8. Murrogh

Murrogh Diabloii.Net Member

I think a swordback would be good for a low level dueler.

9. fredsta54

yes, a smiter under lvl 25 it would. I think he is reffering to high lvl dueling tho

10. Barl

Barl Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, I was. I'm used to bvb, so I wasn't sure what a good sheild would be. A rare barbed sounds good.

What about elemental damage? If i had, say, a 4pemerald long sword, would I get the psn dmg with the smite or not?

11. aznrice1869

aznrice1869 Diabloii.Net Member

yah barbed has highest smite damage
    i have +1 17/15/10 20 resist all purple barbed on east

12. Murrogh

I was just calculating dmg for smiter...
    if you used a +2ammy +2shield and +2scepter with +3smite and +3holy shield
    and 2 sojs you would do 1493 dmg. of course the likelyhood of finding a scepter like that is very rares, but personally I wouldn't make a smiter unless I had some drastic reason to. it's a shame there are no synergies for a smiter.

anyone have ideas for what to put extra skills into?
    I thought if you used a good dmg divine scepter with around 120max dmg
    and maxed vigor and put quite a few into charge that you could use that against people who wont let you hit them with smite.

13. Tridge

Tridge Diabloii.Net Member

smite doesnt spawn on scepters, and holy shield is... i've found 1 scepter with +3 holy shield since 1.03. one1one scepter. i suppose the best thing for you to do is shop (lol) a +pala +shield scepter (make sure both ad up to 3 or more) to cast shield, and then use a +2 40 ias flail to duel.
    make sure you practice with skillswitch charge/shift-smiting for v sora ~~.

you could also make a v/t build... max hs, foh, shock, fana, split smite/convic (convic till it hits -150 res with your skill items on). this may yeild more kills than a pure smiter, and ++style points.

14. Murrogh

ya.. foh was always the most popular secondary skill for smiters