Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP Poison Nec help

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by sHu skeet, Sep 11, 2006.

1. sHu skeet

sHu skeet IncGamers Member

PvP Poison Nec help

So... I'm presently trying to put together a pvp poisonmancer mostly for pub duel owning. I <3 necs lately and the originality aspect (non-cookie-cutter hammerdin/sorc/zon/barb/trapsin/etc.) appeals to me as well. Also I know novamancers can be a very tough opponent with the correct build/gear. But I'm having a hard time deciding which direction I want to go with him... I've read many guides but there are some conflicting views and I want to make sure I'm goin for the most suitable skills/stats/gear/socketables.

First off to clear up any confusion about breakpoints and such:

75%fcr = 10frames
    125%fcr = 9frames

86%fhr = 6frames
    152%fhr = 5frames

Presently I'm using (actually I'm only using Trang Belt ATM b/c I'm lvl 76 and cant use arach yet):

-Shako (+2skills, +life/mana, +10%dr) (socketed with 5/5psn death facet)
    -Crafted Ammy (+2skills, +20%fcr, +str, +resists)
    -DShroud Enigma (+2skills, +5%max life, +8%dr)
    -HoTO (+3skills, +40%fcr, +37 all res, +15%max mana)
    -Spirit Monarch (+2skills, +35%fcr, +55%fhr
    -Trang Gloves (+25% Psn Skill Dmg, +20%fcr)
    -Arach Belt (+1skills, +20%fcr, +5%max mana)
    -Rare boots (+30%fr/w, +20%fhr, +str, +resists)
    -2x SOJ (+1skills, +25%max mana)

Switch:
    -CtA (5BO)
    -Spirit Monarch

Stash:
    -NTorch (+3skills, +20attr, +15 res)
    -Anni (+1skills, +12attr, +10res)
    -Several FHR & All Res charms
    -ZERO P&B GC's at the moment

So with this setup I achieve 135%fcr, and can achieve the 152%fhr breakpoint, while still maintaining a high number of +skills and therefore nova damage. However, I still have some questions:

1) Death's Web? Well -50% enemy psn resistance is huge, and I could socket with a psn facet to make it even more effective... but without other major changes in the setup (primarily a +2/20fcr circlet which is not easy to find) I will not be able to hit the 125%fcr breakpoint. Is this a big deal? There is a very noticeable difference between the 75% and 125% breakpoints, but will it make a difference in pvp?

2) Lower Resist Is this skill anything more than a 1-pt wonder? To me it seems like maxing this curse would not be a bad move at all. Anybody know what -res it gives at about sLVL 40?? I think if you had this skill maxed, it would help big-time in PVM and also to totally negate res stackers in PVP. If I maxed this, and also used DWeb, my effective psn damage would be through the roof... :prop: I think... Or maybe I wouldn't even want to use DWeb b/c it would be overkill... Any suggestions?

2) Block%. The 'Spirit' RW monarch I have gives me a ****ty %block without major points in dex. Should I sacrifice the many VIT points I have to get my %block to near max? Or should I try using Homonc? If I use Homonc then I lose the 35%fcr from spirit and the 55%fhr, which are both major factors, but gain the extra block% and other mods, which ends up equalling more life b/c of less stat pts in dex. Or maybe SS for the high %DR and block% and +resists and lose the skills and fcr and fhr???

3) Strength what's the deal with strength requirements? I could theoretically leave base str and equip +20attr Ntorch, and +20attr Anni, giving me enough str to equip Breast Plate Enigma, which would add significant STR and most likely allow me to equip the rest of my gear. My issue is (1) looking stupid to other chars - If I get all my str from +str gear, doesn't it make me look like I'm wearing practically nothing? For whatever reason I think that looks dumb... (2) body popping - I can not afford to have this happen so I need more info on exactly when this occurs and why.

4) Socketables What are the most appropriate/effective socketables for this build? As I stand, I only have Shako available for a socket b/c I'm using RW's for other items, but if I were to swap out socketable items (DWeb, Wizzy, SS, Homonc, etc) I would have some sockets to use up. I know the answer would vary based on the build, but I'm torn between psn facet/um/shael/cham for my shako at this point. I do not have any "Cannot Be Frozen" mod on anything, which is a problem and I do not want to swap out SoJ for a Raven...

Well there are more issues but I can't really think of them at the moment. Sorry for the huge post but hopefully I'm asking questions that many others have encountered in trying to make a pvp novamancer. Lets get some good discussion going here. I've asked quite a few questions and I think these are some controversial issues so if you see advantages/disadvantages in different setups, be sure to note them.

Thanks guys, cheers.

2. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

This will answer your LR question hopefully:
    Here's the LR break down for ya (since mine gets a lvl 21 with only 1 point invested into it):

lvl-1 =31%
    lvl-2 =37%
    lvl-3 =41%
    lvl-4 =44%
    lvl-5 =47%
    lvl-6 =49%
    lvl-7 =51% *here's where it really starts to slow down*
    lvl-8 =52%
    lvl-9 =54%
    lvl-10 =55%
    lvl-11 =56%
    lvl-12 =57%
    lvl-13 =58%
    lvl-14 =59%
    lvl-15 =60% *this is where most try to get to*
    lvl-16 =61%
    lvl-17 =61%
    lvl-18 =61%
    lvl-19 =62%
    lvl-20 =62%
    lvl-21 =63%

I'd rather use a death's web and have 75% fcr.

For the spirit shield...you shouldn't go with max block because it would take too much to get max block...taking away from life....I'd rather use a homu shield for max block instead or even a trang's shield with the gloves and belt for even more -poison resists.

Body popping happend when you don't have enough strength to equip your equipment/body...and if you die a 2nd time that's when it normally happens.

For the cannot be frozen...you have it on the trang's belt (if you go with the 3 pieces setup way)...otherwise use a ravenfrost and put a poison facet into the shako.

HoS

3. sHu skeet

Ok so it's definitely not worth putting >1 pt into LR since the returns are minimal after ~lvl20. Thanks for that info HoS

I like the spirit shield b/c of the 55fhr along with the 35fcr. I'm aiming at the 152fhr breakpoint and the 55fhr from spirit helps a lot in reaching that. I think this 152 fhr breakpoint is important so I might try and see what kind of life I can get (with lvl5 BO from CtA) while pumping dex for decent block%. I'm not too keen on goin with homonc because it gives neither FCR or FHR. Am I dumb for thinking this?

4. mythos

mythos IncGamers Member

Why do you want cbf? Being frozen doesn't affect casting speed, and you've got enigma, so always tele and cbf is not an issue.

Edit : just saw your post. Do not try to get decent block with a spirit monarch. It'll take too much dex and your life will suck.

5. HarbingersOfSkulls

Will all the +skills you'll have from equipment...you can easliy get to level 20 with just one point invested into LR...and allows you to use those skill points where they are needed most for a pvp build.

Homu is the best overall head for a pvp necro...and for a 75% fcr build it is perfect...just look at what the head offers you.

HoS

6. sHu skeet

Okay, so if I stick with Homonc, I'll sacrifice 55fhr and 35fcr, and that will mean that I will need another 15fcr from some other source in addition to my Arach,Gloves,Ammy (20 each) just to reach the 75fcr breakpoint. This is assuming I'm using DWeb. Also my FHR will be ****ty after getting rid of spirit. Is it really that important to have max block for this char? If so, maybe I could shael my shako and just load up on charms?

Gaah the decisions....

7. HarbingersOfSkulls

I'd try to go with the no blocking way...and hope that your good at teleing to avoid being hit although you could take 2 or so hits before you die due to having more life than you would've had if you gone with max block.

HoS

8. sHu skeet

Yeah I think I'm going to have to test it out and see how it works. I'll be able to have a crapload of life due to putting zero points in dex/str and pumping vit. Or perhaps it's more worthwhile to go for ~50% block which will require far less points in dex but will still allow to take (theoretically) half the physical damage. So I'm not yet ready to go for Homonc... But possibly against strictly melee chars since whacking me is their only hope of killing me... Or would SS be more suitable in that scenario for the 35%dr+block+resists?

9. Ozreborn

Ozreborn IncGamers Member

IMO ss would be a step down from spirit due to resists gained from spirit i think that teleing and being able to "tank" a hit or 2 is probably in your best interest not to mention +2 skills from spirit....just a thought.

10. sHu skeet

right I like the spirit a lot but i figured for dueling a strictly melee char i would go with more defense+block%+physical damage reduce of SS since the fcr of spirit won't be as useful or the resists or really even the skills for that matter. However for a caster I'll need to be able to have high fcr and fhr and resists much moreso than defense, block, and dmg reduce, so I'll go with SS. I think in any case, having minimum dex is more favorable so I'd put enough dex in to have max block with SS equipped. Possibly even socket the SS with an 'eld' and have less dex required for max block, or a 'ber' so I could max my %DR (50) ... (43 from SS, 8 from enigma)

thoughts?

11. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

With no blocking you cannot possibly win vs. any good player of a melee build, due to the fact that Nova has a short range and nowadays most meleers have Enigma anyways. I used to have 125% FCR, 86% FHR and no blocking on my Boner. Of course he was using a Hoto. However, he always got beaten by Barbarians and WWsins due to having not enough life and almost no DR%.

No offense, but try winning vs. any good BvC or a WWsin without Blocking. You will not succeed.

To conclude: If you want to win vs. melee, get max block% with Stormshield.

12. skorpiostouch

skorpiostouch IncGamers Member

i have a 125% fcr bonemancer with full vita and no blick. he uses spirit. i have a ss in stash. i never use it. i beat any barb or wwsin ez. 5.1 k spirit. enuff said.

i also have a novamancer with dweb, he is using homu until i find him a spirit. he has skelles/revives as meatshield, a nice one since it can also attack, unlike bone armor. he has full vita too, cuz melee chars are about 10% of the builds in d2. well, one cant beat anyone. hey, wait, one actually can :laugh: