Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP Pally

Discussion in 'Classic' started by darknessproz, Apr 29, 2008.

1. darknessproz

darknessproz IncGamers Member

PvP Pally

I want to piss of my friend by making his Holy Freeze Zealot unable to kill me.

Is there a way to counter Holy Freeze Dmg in Pvp?

And can someone suggest a viable pally build to me mainly built on uniques.

2. squiggle

squiggle IncGamers Member

Re: PvP Pally

Just get high cold res. Through irathas or resist cold on pally.

For a dueling pally..

3 main choices

HDin
    FOH
    Smiter

I'd make a FOH - Because HDIn gets boring and you'll get whooped by anyone else. *Unless you have experience already with a HDin pvp.

But I'd just make a MFer, knuckle down and MF hard a week or two and have the rares you need for a decent PvP char.

3. grShaman

grShaman IncGamers Member

What level is your friend's paladin?

4. darknessproz

my friend is a lvl 38 pally with max freeze the thing is is there a way to avoid the freeze dmg completely?

5. squiggle

As I said..Get stuff like irathas and max cold res aura and I doubt he will be able to hurt you. Hawkmail and 3psaph sheild can't hurt either

Just make a fball sorc...or even hydra sorc..killing a level 38 can't be that hard :p

6. 2TheMongoose

2TheMongoose IncGamers Member

Holy freeze can't be dodged, or stopped through the Cannot be Frozen mod. Thus, I'm fairly certain classic follows the same rule that HF aura that slows you is unavoidable THE FREEZE EFFECT, you can stack res for the dmg.

7. deichsela

deichsela IncGamers Member

VpV Vally

No, Holy Freeze will chill you despite wearing "Cannot Be Frozen" items and elemental resistance only goes up to 95%.

As Squiggle said, you can wear Iratha's or Hawkmail. They'll raise your max cold resist.

If you wear Hawkmail and use a Thawing Potion (+50 to cold resist and +10 to max cold resist for 30 seconds), you'll get +65 cold res and have a max cold resist of 95%. Only 30% more cold res in general and you'll reach the max of 95%. Your friend would be dealing almost no cold damage to you at all.

To counter the Holy Freeze, you could make a Fanaticism Zealot. I also like Squiggle's idea of a Smiter.

8. darknessproz

Hmm so i think i will go for this built

Smite 3
    Holy Bolt 1
    Charge 1
    Blessed Hammer 1
    Holy Shield 1
    Salvation 1

To make myself unkillable
    Resist Cold 5
    Prayer 20
    Cleansing 1

I will lvl it to 30.

Question now is will Cb and Open Wounds transfer over to smite from the weapon The Gnasher?

9. Applekid

Applekid IncGamers Member

I'm assuming that his paladin pretty much brings your duelers to a complete standstill because he uses General's Tan Do Li Ga flail coupled with Holy Freeze. I despise this build. Here are some tips to get his disgusting excuse for a zealer out of your hair:

1. Make a smiter. If you thought that there was nothing more annoying than a slowdin zealer, you should investigate a slowdin smiter. Use General's Tan Do Li Ga flail, twitchthroe, angelics set, a 3-sok p-rubied crown, 2-sok sapphire'd barbed shield, goblintoes, and iratha gloves/belt (you can substitute sigs or deaths). Invest in as much holy shield as possible for your level, about 11 smite, 1 in holy freeze, and the rest in concentration. Freeze him and slow him with 1 smite/freeze aura, then change your aura to conc to boost damage. You can probably sit at level 26 and take on his 3x zealer anyday.

2. Hdin. Strong, independent of slow, easy to build, countless other benefits.

3. Make another class!!!! Try a standard bonespear nec with Ume's Lament (for decrep, +skills and fcr) and show your friend exactly how much it sucks to be slow. Shoot, throw a bone prison around him and watch him wander around his grim encasement while being barraged with spears.

Try a speeder barb. lvl 30 speeder who uses a 202 steeldriver greatmaul, hawkmail, full irathas, gtoes, and angelic bling. Your friend won't know what to do with himself.

Make a sorc. 110FCR FB sorc would take him apart limb for limb.

4. If you're really deadset on making a paladin, I'd say my most favorite option is to make a non-elemental zealer who can demolish his slowdin despite the difference in speed. For example: I recently picked up a 148 damage tusk sword with 30ias that I will be using on a 39 zealer. I also found a cute 122 damage rune sword :D Chances are with a little resistance, your zealer will pick apart that slowdin in a snap. At higher levels it is more advantageous to use the Concentration aura in lieu of might, despite the less-sexy look. Use items that boost ias and check breakpoints to make sure you don't overcompensate.

More than anything, have fun. Don't get discouraged.

-Applekid

10. deichsela

Volley!

Why Prayer?

Applekid has good ideas of the smiter, physical zealot, and speeder barb (I would probably go with Bonesnap since it's so easy to get).
    From Oramin's Smite FAQ: http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=d2-general&t=1310761

11. yohed

yohed IncGamers Member

You could probably beat him with a naked lvl 30 barb using a bonesnap, that is if you manage to get one point in wirlwind...

12. squiggle

Fireball sorc > Him

High fcr and high dmg - He won't be able to touch you and chances are you'll kill him in 1-3 hits depending on gear.

13. darknessproz

Try a speeder barb. lvl 30 speeder who uses a 202 steeldriver greatmaul, hawkmail, full irathas, gtoes, and angelic bling. Your friend won't know what to do with himself.

Sounds good cus i can get a bonesnap. what is the skill and stat point distribution? for this?

14. deichsela

piradin

Applekid's speeder barb has just one problem: Angelic 'bling' is rings and either the armor or amulet, so you have your choice between Hawkmail (an armor) or full Iratha's (uses amulet slot). Either way you would have 95 max cold res. (75 + Hawkmail's 15 + thawing pot's 10) (75 + Iratha's 10 + thawing pot's 10)
    Do you have a full setup of Iratha's? If not, that somewhat solves your problem of mana: 2-socket Grim Helm or a 3-socket Mask, Crown, or Death Mask with sapphires.

Stats:
    Str: enough for items
    Dex: none
    Vit: everything else
    Energy: none

At level 30 with Normal's skill bonuses...
    1 Howl, Shout
    7 Battle Orders
    1 Battle Command
    8 Mace Mastery
    1 Increased Stamina
    6 Increased Speed
    1 Iron Skin, Natural Resistance
    1 Bash, Leap, Stun, Leap Attack, Concentrate
    1 WW

If you do not want a speeder, switch to:
    1 Increased Speed
    13 Mace Mastery