Pvp orb sorc questions

Pvp orb sorc questions

I've recently restarted D2 and I need some tips for my pvp Orb sorc.

my char is currently at lvl 50
1. My dex is at 61 just enough for using shard, how much should i have in my dex for blocking. This is mainly for go against zons and palys, poss. barbs but sorcs usually die after one ww.

2. My vit is at 100 and about 300 health with all the items. Should i get more health? and how much should i have for dueling purposes?

3. My energy is at 160 and 500 mana. Should i add more energy or just get more mana adding items?

4. I have 4 in energy shield which is like 35% should i add more to get to 50%? Is energy shield reliable to keep my butt alive? are better armor or health better? I'd like to take plenty of hits against a person.

5. I have 15 in warmth was that too much? did i waste those points?

6. What kind of shield should i use? One with high def or high blocking rate.
If high Blocking rate how much should a sorc need to survive?

7. What kind of armor should i use? I have twitch and a armor with 200 or so def.

8. Is high def needed or just blocking?

9. How much faster casting rate is enough?

10. how much res should i have?

11. Is thunder storm usefull?

12. From several questions do u think i should rebuild?

To really sum it up id just like make my character more survible. Teleporting is good to me alive but id like take hits. If you think I should rebuild please tell me what stats or skills i should put into to make a good orb sorc.

Thanks to everyone who were kind enough to answer my questions.

Locke07

Diabloii.Net Member
Immortality said:
I've recently restarted D2 and I need some tips for my pvp Orb sorc.

my char is currently at lvl 50
1. My dex is at 61 just enough for using shard, how much should i have in my dex for blocking. This is mainly for go against zons and palys, poss. barbs but sorcs usually die after one ww.

2. My vit is at 100 and about 300 health with all the items. Should i get more health? and how much should i have for dueling purposes?

3. My energy is at 160 and 500 mana. Should i add more energy or just get more mana adding items?

4. I have 4 in energy shield which is like 35% should i add more to get to 50%? Is energy shield reliable to keep my butt alive? are better armor or health better? I'd like to take plenty of hits against a person.

5. I have 15 in warmth was that too much? did i waste those points?

6. What kind of shield should i use? One with high def or high blocking rate.
If high Blocking rate how much should a sorc need to survive?

7. What kind of armor should i use? I have twitch and a armor with 200 or so def.

8. Is high def needed or just blocking?

9. How much faster casting rate is enough?

10. how much res should i have?

11. Is thunder storm usefull?

12. From several questions do u think i should rebuild?

To really sum it up id just like make my character more survible. Teleporting is good to me alive but id like take hits. If you think I should rebuild please tell me what stats or skills i should put into to make a good orb sorc.

Thanks to everyone who were kind enough to answer my questions.
You need 51 dex and thats it for a sorc really. If this sorc is pure PvP I guess you could work it out. I would put more points into telekinisis (though I am not fond of Energy shield) and get a a soj or 2. I wouldn't use thunder storm unless you want to rebuild the char. Your resi should depend on what your dueling so adjust acordingly. For mele go with a grim shield with 60 chance to block and use twitchroe. If this is going to be a serious PvPer I would remake but its a start. And I am not for sure but some language is filtered out so for future reference don't use harsh language it can get you baned.

With Humble Regards
Locke

Jezza

Diabloii.Net Member
Two ways you could make a pvp orb sorc. Max life or max eshield.

For max life, have as low str and dex as you can get, including bonus from your gear. At the most 45 str and 51 dex, never more. For comparison, my sorc has 20 str and 31 dex.

For max life build, do just that. Max vit. Base (35) energy.

For Eshield there is a variety of things you can do. as for max life build, keep str and dex to a minimum. From there you can decide that you want. High eshield drains mana like nothing else.

You can go max energy and max eshield, just max energy, by lvl 80 you should have around 350-400 health, and high high mana. To further increase mana, frostburns or sojs are highly recommended. You will defiantely be able to take the hits with this build, assuming you can keep your mana above 0. Dont forget open wounds and poison dmg are not decreased by eshield. I suggest at least 15 points in telekensis if you are going max engergy shield.

You could go high health and low or max eshield. High health and max eshield is the ultimate tank if you can keep the mana from dropping to 0. high health and low eshield is just a nice compliment to your life.

Eshield ignores res, and dmg is taken as if your res was 0 from your mana. The left over dmg is reduced by your res. So if you have high eshield, your need for high res is reduced, though it still comes in handy. There are a lot of choices, for different attackers. You will need max light res vs a light zon. As much fhr as you can get, along with as high a block rate vs a barb. Typically a 20/30 shield is best vs barb, with twitch added tor erach max block. The best shield would be grim with -reqs, followed by bone. Grim has 58 str normal, too high as I see it.

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
Let's make sure the language doesn't get any worse. I edited it out, too. Let's keep it clean guys.

Wyvern

Diabloii.Net Member
1) in classic dex doesnt = blocking, what ever you sheild says is what it will block. Also shard only req 51 dex. you should have no more than 51dex with items.

2) Yes you need more health. Most of the elite pvp sorcs have 1200+ life at lvl 85+

3) again yes you need more mana, and again most of the elite pvp sorcs have 1000 mana at lvl 85+

4) 1pt in Energy Sheild is plenty if you have the right + skills gear. even if you dont have that gear now, I would only invest 1 point in ES and bank on getting the +skills gear later.

5) playing in classic for as long as I have has taught me that if you want to be a serious pvper you will need between 10-15 warmth. so no I dont think you wasted anything there.

6) If your looking at pvp an ideal sheild would be a bone/grim sheild with 17fhr 30/20 blocking priz with rep life.

7) Twitch isnt a bad start it gives you 20pts in stats, fhr, and improved blocking vs melee chars with the +25 blocking, and +20 faster blocking. down the road you want to look for a low str req armor that has tri rez, fhr, life, and rep life, or mana. +stats on an armor is also nice

8) as a sorc high def isnt needed because you arent going to stand in place and tank someone. high blocking vs barbs, and zons is a must.

9) being in classic I have never really bothered to look at the fcr break points. shard gives you 50% cast, a rare amulet would give you 10%, mage fists are 20% cast, wall of the eyeless is 20%, and rare rings give you 10% cast. So once you figure out the break points this is where you can get the speed from.

10) most pvp sorcs are cold sorcs, once in a while you run into fire sorcs, and foh paladins abound everywhere. so I would say you want to have atleast maxed fire/lit/cold and have poison in the positive.

11) With the way synergies work now you cant really be a 2 skill sorc unless one of those skills is a synergy to something your useing. blizzard+fireball doesnt really work that well, same goes for orb/ts these days. While it is useful, its more usefull to max your main killing skill.

12) If it were me I would rebuild simply because I have the gear to make a top tier sorc and I dont like wasting any skill/stat points that I dont have to. for you since you probably dont have that gear I would say keep grinding it out and make the best of it.

If you were to rebuild i would go with something like this:

str= as close to base as possible
dex= as close to base as possible
vit= everything else
nrg= 100

orb= 20
ice bolt= 20
cold mast= 20
warmth= 10
ES= 1
pre rec's= 9

any pts after that I would dump into warmth.

hey

Thanks for the answers guys that helped alot. But couple more questions how should distrubute points as I level? In other words Should i jack in as a many points into ice bolt in my early lvls? or should i use those points differently? Like every other time i lvl. Once i Max out ice bolt it only seems to add 70 or so damage to orb. Right now i only have like 4 into ice bolt. Is it really worth it to add those points into ice bolt? when i could add it into warmth? Id like to make a good pvp sorc thats around lvl 40-50 i guess im asking a little to much.

ps.sry for the language im new to these forums.

BigBearCat

Diabloii.Net Member
The break points of fcr are:
9 20 37 63 105 200

When dual with magic dam chars such as hmdin and bonemancer, u can use uniq bone shield to reach 105% fcr.

btw: 70 dam increase on orb is really considerable.

Murrogh

Diabloii.Net Member
My favorite way to make a sorc is no stats except for vitality. Useing rings, ammies, armor and belt. You will probably want to put some extra gear on her like a 3 sappire soceted shield against other sorcs because you need over 200 resists to cold and fcr gear against necs and pallies. You should also have a hotspurs agaist a fire sorc.

Jezza

Diabloii.Net Member
Well in regards to assigning skill points, I like to max cold mastery and orb first. I put only 1 point in the prereqs (including ice bolt), 1 point in telekenisi and telport, and 1 in warmth (this is for pvp orber).

If you save your points, you can max by ~50 both orb and mastery. Mastery is far more important then the damage added to orb by the icebolt synergy, especially for dueling.

Forget about warmth, 1 point is enough. There is no dueling league I'm aware of, and mana pots are used by everyone, from barbs to sorcs. Some sorcs dont even have a point on warmth.

I usually aim for lvl 75-80+, but even then I max icebolt last. I guess I'm more defensive, in that I'd rather my eshield and telekenisis at 15 at least first, before stating on icebolt, but there is no rule to follow in this.

Optimal gear for a obr/pvper (high eshiled) would be shard; rare helm with fhr, life and res; frosties; 1 soj; 1 rare fcr ring w/ high mana, res and pref dex/str; rare ammy w/ skills, fcr, prizmatic, life/dex/str, rare armour w/ fhr,life,res rare belt w/ fhr, str, life, res; boots w/ fhr, frw(not so important for sorcs with tele), res, dex; and a shield with fhr, 30/20, priz.

A more toned down version would use 2 fcr and frosties, ammy doesnt need fcr then.

Of course there are plenty of choices for the poorer person, just listing desireable attributes here. All you need to know is that you must (well preferably) have 70 fcr at least. It's kind or hard because your build could vary so much in regards to how you use it. I think I posted earlier about some of the different types of eshield sorcs (high life, low mana, low eshield; low life, high mana, high eshield, high life, low mana, high eshield) but of course there are many more variations. All I can say is you will want to stay away from being hit, because eshield will drain that mana quickly.

Most sorcs dont have 1000+ mana. They only achieve this by crying to a barbarian to BO on them.

To be perfectly blunt. Rebuild that sorc. My lvl 30 lld sorc had more life than that and about the same mana with less stats used.

Also if you max out eshield you gotta waste so much points in telekenesis (40 points lost to prevent melee dmg - but if a baba can hit you once he can hit you twice).

Pvp sorcs in general are greatly deminishing much like the true bvb class. They are easilly pk'able due to adapting changes in .10 and from quick learning babas.

Unless you use full juvs. Than I laugh at you :lol:

thx

Thanx guys. Im currently rebuilding, id like to ask what you guys think of it. Right now the build is at lvl 19.

Stats are:
Str: base for now...
Dex: base for now...
Vit: 95 or something...around there ive jacked everything into it expect on one ocasion. How much more should I need??
Energy: close to base w/ items its 49. 100 is my goal
Skills:
Ice Bolt: 19 ( god this skill really sucks....cant kill cows worth crap.. lol)
Warmth: 1

My life is around 220 w/o bonuses. How much more should i need?
Mana is at 130 with items.

Right now i have a bunch or str add items, and im planning to get my energy to 100 for the sake of using orb more then 3 times without potting...hehe. Im probably goin to get my vit to 200 or 150 ,and then get my energy to 100....donno.

Im going to max out ice bolt and then the reqs for blizzard. After that should be smooth sailing because blizzard kills norm cows with ease, even on lvl 1. Im going to get tele then and the reqs for energy shield. 6 lvls should be enough with izzy quest. And then max out orb and mastery :thumbsup:

Should I get ES to absorb 50% damage?????????

I have twitch and plate buckle that I am planning to use on my sorc. That means id reduce my dex to 31 for the usage of shard. Str.....i havent really planned that out yet... platebuckle I think needs 60 str..... so...yeah...I would say something inapproprite( cant spell worth crap ) right now but im afraid id get a ban..... Neways that'd mean i need 50 str..... or 45( cuz plate adds 5 to str ).... thats still too much.... Anyone want to donate boots that add to str? and other stuff? I was planning on to use goreboots but that doesnt help a sorc much. Gloves Im going to use frostburns. And helm im going to use a mask w/ 3 p rubies in it. Shield...im going to use the Ward for the res. Rings im going to use 10% more fcr rings.... Ammy is +1 to all skills and +34 life and + 30 something to cold res.

Please tell me your opinion.

Palm

Diabloii.Net Member
There's guides out there for pvp sorcs and pvm sorcs, why dont you take a look? I gotta disagree with most of the choices you're making.

Jezza

Diabloii.Net Member
Boots cant spawn with str, only dex.

Your best bet would be not to use bladebuckle. Try and get a nice rare belt, with under 40 str reqs.

Now you don't necessarily have to have str on your items. The thing with sorcs is, you get a perfect 20 str belt, its worth 40 life for your sorc. Sorcs get 2 life per point in vit. So getting a belt with 40+ life on it, is actually better then a 20 str belt.

Of course its always much nicer to have a belt with both str and vit.

Another good place would be ring/ammys. As long as you can maintain that 70 fcr, you should be fine.

ok

well I do have Nightsmoke, but that doesnt give anything to stats. It would nice to find a belt under 40 str that adds quite a bit to str and dex, but im quite poor...

Since there are no + str boots does anyone have + dex boots? lol

Maybe I should look at the guides for building pvp sorcs..i just have never found any ones that are just for classic. At least tell me your opinion and not just tell to look at stuff... Constructive Critism people!!

Right now im at lvl 30

My stats are:
Str: near base
Dex: base
Vit:130 or something
Energy: 50 with items

Ive currently maxed out ice bolt and im working on maxing out orb and then mastery.

Which should i max out first? orb or mastry? or should i get 10 into each skill and then max out each?

Thx to all who respond

fredsta54

Diabloii.Net Member
max out orb 1st, w/ 1 into mastery. Then max out mastery and if your pure orb max out the synergy as well. The synergy doesnt have to be maxed to deal decent damage, so if you wanna put the points elsewhere its ok

Any reason for maxing orb 1st? Mastery seems to be helpfull at duels and such.

And yes im going to be pure orb, I would do orb/ts but the synergy thing just doesnt work out with that.

Locke07

Diabloii.Net Member
Immortality said:
Any reason for maxing orb 1st? Mastery seems to be helpfull at duels and such.

And yes im going to be pure orb, I would do orb/ts but the synergy thing just doesnt work out with that.
Um you max out orb first because it does more damage that way. Though If you are going to get energy shield I think you are doing this character wrong. A sorc that uses energy sheild should be making sure they have a lot of points into telekenisis as well as energy shield and High mana/warmth. That kind of sorc is a very defensive and slowly kills openents while the one I usually prefer has high dmg orb coupled with High life to life long enough to kill the other person. This tends to be played very offensivly. From what I see with your character just go pure vitality and don't worry about getting E shield and make sure you have max resist and good block for barbs.

hrm.. I can see were you're getting at, but when i use ES i seem to take alot less damage( kinda hard to explain ). Im not really going to be a pure ES sorc, im just using ES to keep my butt alive longer, I dont think ill be getting ES to 50% absorb.... Since currently i only have 150 mana w/o bonuses. 1 hit from a hell monster pretty much drains my mana pool. I should be able to get 500 mana when I have 100 energy. 500 mana isnt bad for telein around and stuff but ill still be pretty dependent on mana pots And oh BTW im outa money!!!! money for the poor!!!!!!! those mana pots are costly.

well neways my skills are:

ice bolt: maxed
Orb: maxed
CM:15 Almost there!!!! w00t
warmth: 1
ES:1
tele:1
and all the other reqs and such

And im like lvl 57 or something

Stats are:

str:21 ill prob. get this to 27-28
dex:31 it will stay as is...unless body pops again
Vit 240 something, around there GOAL is 300 1.2k life is the true goal
Energy: 41 , once vit is at 300 or 800 life ill get this to 100

My body has recently poped, which sucks *** BTW. Ive learned a lesson, not to use high str stuff on a sorc. I was using 2 60 str stuff frost, bladebuckle.

P.S. I forgot if boots could spawn with + dex

P.S.S. If they do could anyone trade me boots with + 10 dex?

P.S.S.S. I need magefists or frosties

P.S.S.S.S. Giving the above for free is good....

10 thousand S.S.S.S.S.S.S... later... Cheese is good...mmm cheese....

sculpen

Diabloii.Net Member
Immortality said:
P.S. I forgot if boots could spawn with + dex

P.S.S. If they do could anyone trade me boots with + 10 dex?
Boots can have up to +9 dex on them.