Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP mage? Need help from the vets for planning.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Weltkriegpally, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

PvP mage? Need help from the vets for planning.

Hey guys, I am planning a pvp mage. A mage focuses on blessed hammer and fist of the heavens to be a very defensive variant. Often, there are enough points or plus skills to have a very nice melee skill on switch, usually charge.

anyways, these are the items I am planning on: I have them all but the heart of the oak.

enigma mage plate (not using teleport, just am a speed freak)
    heart of the oak weapon
    hoz-->possibly cham'ed
    2 paladin/9 faster cast ammy/stats
    soj/bk rings
    arachnid mesh belt
    boots=? variable, probably rares with resists/fhr/frw
    gloves=fists/trangs/magefists/something? highly variable.
    helm=shako
    10 combats and 1 annihilius, other charms will have 20 life, variable mods, mostly resists
    switch:: high damage charge weapon+stormshield

total of 15 all skills, 12 more to combat I will have 69 faster cast, probably get 20 from the gloves. dr is limited at 18, possibly could ber the shako, for 8 more...

anywho, my skill setup that won't change is this
    20 blessed hammer
    20 concentration
    1 holy shield
    20 foh
    10 conviction
    1 salvation
    total=85 skill points

assuming I level to 90, then that leaves me 15 skill points to play with synergies. Sine I will NOT teleport, then foh needs to be higher. I want to maximise my hammer damage to around 800-1000 pvp damage to be effective. this is something like 4800-6000 damage for displayed damage, but how many skill points do I need to put in blessed aim for this effect? The rest will go to holy shock, of course. I thought there was a calculator for this, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone help me out here? Also, any ideas from you would be appreciated. I intend to make pvp mages viable again.

Thanks for reading!!
    --welt

2. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

If you want to be a 'pure' Mage Paladin then you don't really want to try and develop Charge as an attack skill. What Charge is useful for, and this can be used as a 1 point wonder, is as a rapid approach skill.

I would lower the number of points invested into Conviction, I would add one for Salvation (no prereqs). You are going to have plenty of levels from +skill items to make Conviction effective at 5, giving you 20 skill points spare.

Although Holy Bolt does not raise FoH damage directly, I would sink some points in it, I will explain why later...

Sink some points in Holy Shock, for the synergy with FoH and Charge. Charge can be a useful finishing skill, especially when your opponent is able to soak lightning damage not to mention it puts players off balance being knocked back all the time (if you hit).

You may want to add points into Vigor, it also synergises with Blessed Hammer and makes Charge faster which Blessed Aim does not. Note that unlike Blessed Aim you have to spend extra points for Vigor pre-reqs, something that you may not want to do here.

Benefits of Holy Bolt.

These are manifold however first the rationale behind investing any points in it at all.

Holy Bolt has a massive 50% to damage boost per level of Blessed Hammer and would make sense to use it.

The Holy Bolt spray of FoH ceases to become a pretty display when a Summoning Necro challenges you.
    In PvP teams, you can act as a Cleric, healing team-mates with HB (if allowed).

In normal play a Mage Paladin is an effective killer of the undead with FoH and HB and undead are not exactly uncommon in D2. This makes your character reusable.

3. LovelyGods

LovelyGods Banned

Erm....um.... :scratch:

Quote by Krollin
    "Holy Bolt has a massive 50% to damage boost per level of Blessed Hammer and would make sense to use it."

what is that all about? Ive never heard of that once from anyone. As far as i know holybolt doesn't add damage to anything. :scratch:

Either you have a misprint or i've been really mis-informed.

4. HandofElysium

HandofElysium IncGamers Member

Maybe he is talking about the magic damage to the undead. Thats about all you get from holybolt

5. LovelyGods

LovelyGods Banned

yea but that has nothing to do with blessed hammer at all.

the only things that add to hammer damage is Concentration, Vigor , and Blessed Aim.

Thats it.. i've never heard of holy bolt adding damage to hammer.

6. HandofElysium

He is getting FOH and Hammer mixed up most likely. I loved mages too bad they aren't viable in 1.10

7. LovelyGods

LovelyGods Banned

actually they are quite viable ..

You just need to make a nice plan for them..

Either your going to have strong hammer or weak foh or opposite.

I would go with the strong foh. Because hammer is magical nobody has resistance twards it.

and those handy combat Gc will help boot it alot..

so 20 Foh
    20 hammer
    20 Conc
    X Conviction
    10 Holy Shock
    10 Vigor
    1 holyshield.

If possible max Holy Shock. But this is y u are gonna use either 10 Combats or 10 Offensive Aura Gc. So you can max your Conviciton with no effort.

This might work although i've never played mage before. This might be neet to try. IM not a expert on mages, never have been. So don't take my word.

8. xxme

xxme IncGamers Member

i think you get the highest dmg from foh by alternating the points with holyshock. i know its better to get say 10 in conc and 10 in vigor than 20 in conc. well thats what it says it capt bogus' guide.

9. HandofElysium

PVM I can see this happening but for PVP your not going to have enough crazy hammer damage to scare off any melee attacker. Oh and of course foh is easily negate with the right gear especially since the conviction cap.

10. majorB

majorB IncGamers Member

I think its just phrased oddly. Holy bolt gets a 50% dmg boost per point in Blessed Hammer. BH is a synergy of Holy Bolt.

11. LovelyGods

LovelyGods Banned

O I C

holy bolt's synergie is blessed hammer..

thx for clearing that up for me..

i think it was worded incorrect from the original quote

12. bobthegod

bobthegod IncGamers Member

would this work out?
    20 foh
    20 hammer
    20 conc
    20 aim
    20 shock

as a duelin strategy, u could quickly set up hammerfields than switch to FoH if they r out of range, then recast the hammers etc.

13. fugitive alien2

fugitive alien2 IncGamers Member

i disagree about using a high-damage charge switch not being beneficial for a mage. it's quite easy for a mage or pure hammerdin to have a 6-7k charge switch, which can come in very handy against many classes. if you aren't using cta, e-star is a really good option - can get up to 8k AR with just a raven and 1 pt in charge.

in other words any mage/hammerdin can play like a liberator if he wants to. it's just a matter of gear.

14. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

Probably wouldn't work out well (Unless you are willing to sacrifice supporting skills like meditation, holy shield, and vigor).

15. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

Like I said, I will have a point in salvation, which still leaves me approximately 15-20 skill points to play with. most of my gear I have and will not change. I am going with 10 combats. experience has taught me that they are the best. I could use a glove/boots suggestion. mostly, I was wondering how many points to put into blessed aim to get the approximately 6k damage hammer (1000 after pvp penalty) to get my hammer damage high enough to still take out most pvp characters...instead of 2-3 hammers killing, it will be more like 5 or 6, but as I am a highly defensive player and have much experience dueling with pvp mages in 1.09, I know how to avoid teleporters. 4 or 5 hammers isn't all that difficult to land. Also, this is a mannered dueler. That is to say, save for pvm, I am NOT using teleport. I want the armor for dr, defense, 2 all skills, *45 frw*, and all the other mods I love so much about it. I just want to know how where/how to calculate the hammer damage so that I can get my 6k damage. As is, I will have ::

15 all general skills
    12 more to combat. we are talking level 47 foh/hammers, 35 concentration, and level 25 conviction. I will have level 28 holy shield after one point. this much I know for sure. I was just unsure about the mathematics of hammer damage, and if anyone has any good pointers about dueling/something I am missing, then please mention it. Thank you!

--welt

16. tl998

tl998 Banned

How would this build work again a trapper, assuming you're not BM and you don't stack Lightling absorb like crazy.

17. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

you only need tgods + gangel to absorb lit traps totally, and with good fhr, I think you stand a good chance against the hybirds, as for as I know, just those two items isnt considered bm. .. wouldnt worry too much about trappers

18. boshekinthunder

boshekinthunder IncGamers Member

Id like to hear how this build comes out if you still decide to make it, since Im thinking about making a hammerdin variant, or maybe straight up hammerdin, but that might get pretty old fast.

For skill information, go here:
    http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~cbradfor/diablo2/skills.html

I dont think the picture links on the first page work, but there is a menu once it redirects you to amazon (regardless of who you click on). This should give you all the info you need for skill dmg.