Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP LS Trapper Questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NagisaFurukawa, Aug 2, 2010.

1. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

PvP LS Trapper Questions

Hi guys/girls. Long story short, I'm trying to build a PvP lightning trapper, and I'm completely stuck as far as her gear is concerned.

She is currently a W/S Fade user with gear that allows her to have 9 frame traps (42 IAS), 65 FCR, 48 FHR, 50% DR, max block, CBF, and 75 FR/LR.

Weapon: 35% FCR 'Spirit' Phase Blade
    Shield: 'Eld' Stormshield ('Spirit' Monarch for 102 FCR)
    Helm: M'avina's True Sight (Zircon Jewel of Fervor)
    Armor: 'Enigma' Mage Plate
    Gloves: M'avina's Icy Clutch
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Boots: 32 FR, 37 LR, 6 Dexterity, 5 Replenish
    Amulet: 2 Assassin, 10 FCR, 69 Mana, 18 Resist All
    Ring: Raven Frost
    Ring: The Stone of Jordan (10 FCR, 35 Life, 86 Mana for 102 FCR)
    Charms: 8x Entrapping GCs, 2x Serpent's GCs of Vita, 4x Amber SCs of Vita, 6x Ruby SCs of Vita

My questions are as follows:

1) Is there any way to improve upon her currently low damage (roughly 1-8000) while keeping enough IAS/FCR/FHR/resistance? I do not have access to a 1.07 Valkyrie Wing or a 2 socket 20 FCR assassin circlet. 2 extra skill charms could help, of course, but is there something besides that?

2) Would a Burst of Speed setup be better? I am not sure here, because there is no such guide for that build, but maybe it could work?

3) How about C/C? The best I can do in that department is +3 or +4 LS claws, so it would probably be 2x Bartuc's or something.

4) Is 65 FCR even enough to begin with? The guide in the assassin forum recommends 102 FCR, but 65 seems okay for my kicksin at least.

5) Where should extra skill points go? I do not think I have enough damage to go for a 20 Mind Blast build, so I already dumped 80 into the lightning traps, 1 into Wake of Fire, 1 into Shadow Master, and 2 into Mind Blast, but the rest are a mystery to me.

Aside from that, any general suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your time/help. :)

2. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

Re: PvP LS Trapper Questions

I was thinking hard but I can't really tell you anything smart :(
    I might give you some ideas but that is most that I can do.
    And I know that it's still long shot:
    1.07 Hellmouth (War Gauntlets) - Cannot be frozen, 20% IAS
    2 os CoA would also be much much better then Mav's pieces since you can pack nice IAS jools inside. You will have build based for SS anyway si str req might not be a problem. 15 IAS in Stormshield and you are set. That gives you 45 IAS, 30 bonus fhr from CoA and handy resist. Glove slot is free for 20 fcr.

Weapon: 35% FCR 'Spirit' Phase Blade
    Shield: 15 IAS Stormshield
    Helm: 30 IAS CoA
    Armor: 'Enigma' Mage Plate
    Gloves: Trangs/Magefist
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Boots: 32 FR, 37 LR, 6 Dexterity, 5 Replenish
    Amulet: 2/17fcr
    Ring: Raven Frost
    Ring: 10 fcr whatever...

With CoA and Spirit you have... 85 fhr? :p
    If you manage to get 17 fcr amulet you could have 102/86 W/S setup with no need for swaps at all.

Just some mind wandering, that's all :) Also If I overlooked something excuse me, this was rush job. Perhaps it's not better then your current setup after all.

And I still think that only way to build assassin is c/c

3. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

you should really go claw/claw and socket lgihtning facets in both of them like two each. trust me i know what im talking about. also same with the ss you dont need tow orry abvout max block if you do lots of damage. also, switch out m'avina's helm and gloves for andy's face (socket with lightning facet also) so you can get +2 skills ias and lots of damage. it is much better than griffon's eye because the +% lightning does not help very much. also going for tons of -enemy light resist is rediculus. Plus griffs +light damage% does not offer enough for it to be that powerful anyways. Its like 20% syngery like putting in 2 skill syngeries for cbs. It will only benefit lighting sentry but that would be dumb when lighting sentry is good enough with +skills. also go steelrend for your gloves cuz the 60% ed really helps with your lightning dam and maybe beast and death offhand.

(Sorry I'm not much help, but at least things should be easier to play around with now that you have a 30/30/30 helm of hax. ^_^ I'm eager to see the final result so I can copy it just like I did with Alicia-sama. :])

4. iomanip

iomanip IncGamers Member

on a side note, does +lightning dmg increase dmg of traps, or is it only the -res part that matters, i mean, since traps are minions..?

peace!

5. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

No. Facets aren't working with Traps at all. Or any source of %LSD or -ELR for that matter. I tried right now with LCS and put Griffon's eye on my Trapper. There was increase in dmg displayed, but that is why we call it LCS no? :wink:

Traps ARE minions. It's same like Shadow Master. Do your Shadow Master would benefit in Venom dmg if you have some facets on your character? Of course it won't.
    It's same like -elr roll on Infinity. It does nothing to help your sorceress if your merc holds it. It helps only his Chain Lightning on Infinity and his lightning dmg.

Facets and Traps don't go together (except for Fire Blast that is not minion but projectile; with FB fire facets are useful).

6. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

I'd strongly recommend posting in the sin forum so you get the attention of the pvp gurus.

65 fcr is low for a trapper, especially a w/s.
    C/C 102fcr or 174 fcr W/S are what you're looking for
    IAS BPs shouldn't be too hard to reach with c/c (wsm bug) or BoS

As for this....

It's not a good idea to tell someone to trust you and then provide erroneous information - not only do you discredit yourself, you may also incur costs to people who follow your advice unknowingly. It's one thing to be wrong, and not realize it. But it makes one look silly when you put that emphasis on "trust me i know what im talking about".

PvP trappers are typically C/C (clawblock) so no shield blocking or W/S with the shield almost always a spirit for FCR (weapon is either spirit or hoto).

Griffon's is actually worthwhile on most trappers, but not for the lite damage and -elr since they don't affect traps - but the +1 and 25FCR (mainly 25 fcr) as they're required for 102fcr c/c trappers as there are no 1.08 valks on ladder. It's too bad that -elr and +lite damage don't work for trappers.... oh if they did....

Offhand you're either keeping your cta/spirit switch or maybe a widowmaker.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  7. essojay

essojay IncGamers Member

Alternative 1: Wizardspike + CoA + Stormshield + Trang's gloves + Sandstorm Treks

You get 50% FHR, enough FCR (once you add Arach + ring + ammy), and lots of resists. You also get 3-4 sockets, which you should use to get extra FHR (and some resists). Since you get lots of resists and max DR, there's almost no reason to use Fade with this setup. Burst away. ^^

I know you wanted to improve your damage, and this setup loses a lot of +skills, but I think it's defensively a lot better than your current 102% setup. It's not like you can't also keep a glass cannon set-up (hoto, spirit, etc.) in stash for when it's appropriate.

Alternative 2: Like SeCKSEgai said, HotO/Spirit or Spirit/Spirit, etc.

Less block, resists, and DR than Alternative 1, but stronger traps. Like I said, it's easy to set up your character for both Alternatives, so why not have both?

Alternative 3: Never mind. For some reason I thought Jade Talon had +Traps. I think you'd need to spend a loooot of time with Anya before you can put up a good C/C setup. Bartucs are totally lame.

As for the skills, you know I'd totally get Dragon Talon up (and wear upped Gores or Dancers), but I kind of have a death wish with my trappers like that. I like to jump in and start kicking as if she were a Zealot or something. ^^ Realistically, though, Shadow Master?

8. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

As omg (who was joking, by the way) referenced, I was on the receiving end of a nice donation of a 1.07 Valkyrie Wing, so many of my original questions are moot at the moment. Sorry about that.

I had considered many of those setups already originally though, but the approximately 415 life and 72 mana (and 1 skill/10 replenish) gained from using M'avina's seemed to outweigh any benefits from the other setups. The consensus seems to be that 102 FCR is needed though, so I guess I was wrong in that case. :)

The only questions I have now are simply:

How good of a pair of claws would be "needed" in order to justify using a C/C setup fulltime, assuming that's justifiable to begin with? I have a +4 LS/+4 LS (both capped at one socket) C/C swap on my W/S trapper at the moment for situations where ordinary blocking is useless.

Alternatively, how viable is a build with a +3 LS 'Chaos' and +2 LS Fool's claw (1x Um) and a moderate investment in Venom (capping at around level 30 after prebuffing)? I already have a kick/trap/bow assassin, so I'm looking for something different.

Thanks again for your help.

9. essojay

essojay IncGamers Member

I'd say pretty viable with Trang's and extra OW from Gores. I mean, you can't really go wrong with a LS-MB-Tele-WW sequence, right?

Not really sure about the claws ... since the ideal is +6 with 2 sockets, you'll want to get as close to that as possible. Now if it came with +venom or +SM ... dayum!

Hmm, that was really unhelpful. ^^;

10. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

You know the problem with jokers, with some of the posts I see on these forums you never know when they're being serious, so I err on the side of caution ;)

It did seem a bit out there tho =)