Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP Lightning Sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by h4nh4n421, Feb 3, 2004.

1. h4nh4n421

h4nh4n421 IncGamers Member

PvP Lightning Sorc

i was wondering if a PvP lighting sorc would be good.
    my friend tested it with pretty nice items and he said it does about 6-44k dmg. still averaged out it would be around 22k. which is still quite deadly o.o
    but im not sure if its speed is fast enough for it to work well in pvp

can neone help ?

2. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

there was a great guide written just before the Great Forum Reset (as i just now called it) that was about a pvp lightning sorc. it works. but you would have to know what your doing, and i can't remember who posted it so i will summarize what i remember from it:

its playing style is defensive.
    against melee chars, teleport away and shout lightning at where u think it will hit them. lightning has a decent width on it, so its not too too hard.
    against zons, u should be able to take them down in one or two hits, so tanking a few hits from them is a small price to pay to get your shots off. that is if you hit. (also: be mindful of geographic features that u can hide behind to stop MS or GA's)
    sorcs are hard because they teleport, but one or two hits will overkill them. predict where they will be and attack there. (svs is hard with any build)

and that reminds me, all chars now have a very accessable way to teleport (enigma), so be careful against melee builds that they might teleport next to you and come up wwing or swinging.

like i said playing style is defensive. you have to move away from them and let them come at you.

i hope the person who posted the original guide comes in and iether reposts it or just says what i forgot/got wrong.

EDIT: almost forgot: if someone has minions, CL at the minion. the minion will be much easier to hit than the person and it will then hit the person.

3. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

It's fairly easy to take the damage inflicted by a lightning sorc. The really good ones hurt me a little, but by far my sorc isn't overkilled by them.

4. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

yes, i forgot the mention the 90 all res, full absorb chars. *rolls eyes* dont' fight them, its not worth it.

5. Usufruct

90 all resist and some absorb is essential for dueling them, or they'd just be stupidly overpowered.

6. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Yea i wrote that guide, i'll repost it once i get on the computer where it's saved. :)

Your argument was already beaten down before you posted it by your first post. Either normal resistance (75%) and absorb OR +max%res imo. Not both, that's simply lame. Btw, by "good" you mean those who can afford serious equipment (seeing you absorb the damage from "notgood" people). That makes you really skilled if you can beat people that can't damage you :rolleyes:

Shorry :teeth: he annoyed me

7. Celandro

Celandro IncGamers Member

BTW, dont bother dueling barbs who use dual lightsabers. You cant hurt them as 50% absorb is equivalent to 100% resist. This is a serious game design flaw for PVP and is shared by fire and cold based attacks but not magic, poison or physical.

8. fonis toastes

fonis toastes Banned

Absorb % was capped to 40% in 1.10. Does not count items with straight absorb, of course (e.g. TGods).

9. Celandro

Celandro IncGamers Member

Ahh, didnt know that..

Guess arreat summit needs to be updated..

10. Soepgroente

Somehow in .09 my 24% lightning resistance barbarian dual wielding lightsabre still got hurt by lightning though. Both monsters and people. I think it doesn't work like 25+25=50% absorb, but (((1-0,25)*(1-0,25))*2) -1 = 0,125 = 12,5% damage taken from "50%" absorb. Could be wrong though but that's an explanation :p. The amount of damage i took was also more than negligible so it couldn't really be that i had negative resistances from bugged anya quest or something and ended up with -6% res therefor taking a little damage. It was more than that :p

11. Usufruct

You're just like every other righteous little duel-tool out there who thinks that absorb is for the noobs and stacking resistances is unfair. Anything goes in public hell duels, and if you don't like it, too damn bad. When I duel for real, I duel privately in NM, and I follow the rules, including only having 1 absorb or +max resist item on at any one time.

Additionally, by "not good" I mean characters who have not properly built or synergized their skills, not the characters who can't afford 'uber 1337 godly equipment'.

Glad I annoyed you.

*kills high horse in the face*

12. Soepgroente

I don't think stacked resistances is unfair. Never said that either. You said "duel". With duel i assume two people agreeing on a fight, not teleporting out'a town to get as many random kills as you can, i call that "pk". It's fun too, don't get me wrong, but that's not dueling. Let's keep it friendly, simple misunderstanding :xsmile5:

PS- my horse is innocent :teeth:

13. Mule

Mule IncGamers Member

Just a reminder soap so you don't forget: Post guide

14. Soepgroente

yea that's kinda hard since my mom won't let me on the comp where i wrote it on so i sort of do not have it at the moment :embarrass

15. Duelskull2

Duelskull2 IncGamers Member

I just recently made a light sorc, only lvled to 66 before starting dueling tho. Results were good. With a fast tele i barely got hit, and a lot fell in around 1 or 2 lightnings. Some had absorb and 90 res so the dmg was cut a bunch. But with dmg that high i killed them after a while. Ts seems to help a lot too. Only put one point into it, but its maxed with gear and charms. My dmg is still low, 20k max now. Two synergies to go though :d