Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP High Def. Pally | Help please.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by CronicTKY, Feb 16, 2004.

1. CronicTKY

CronicTKY IncGamers Member

PvP High Def. Pally | Help please.

I've seen quite a few of these high def pallies out there. They, simply put, OWN! They pwn ny of my characters including my best zon. I hate to say it, but I'm lusting for one. Please help me... with stats, skills, and equipment. Now, if you may, please list the BEST possible equipment as I can afford it. But, I know Eth BotD Zerk, HoZ, Guardian Angel, Gaze, Draacul's Grasp, and, possibly Gore Riders are a given for this build. Can you please help me with charms as well too? Thanks. I want to know everything about this build. So far I know that you should max defiance, Holy Shield, and maybe Zeal. That's all, but I need help with everything else. Thanks a lot! Oh BTW, this will be a non-ladder PvP build.

2. Shenn

Shenn Banned

Read guides = Make decision = Happy u = Happy us = Never make these posts again = REALLY happy us = Thanks.

3. CronicTKY

Have you ever thought that I'm posting to get some professional opinion, because obviously you have none.

4. Shenn

Shenn Banned

Hmmm...have u ever thought of giving us some slack? We dont LIKE to sit on the computer giving ppl like YOU a 3 page long explantion on the "best" PvP build or something like that. IF you want something like that, i suggest you read a guide. But ill help you.

Skill

HOLY SHIELD 20
    DEFIANCE 20

EQUIPMENT: LOTS AND LOTS OF PLUS SKILLS

Happy? I just get pissed at ppl who say: "What is the uber PvP pwgage Pally? I want the stats athe stuff and the skills. thx. PAYCE OUT YALL ".

Im pretty sure you know what i mean.

5. CronicTKY

Thank you, and I'm sorry but I have never really bothered to make a pally until my former deling chars became ineffective. I just can't keep up now adays, and I want to have some fun because I have a feeling my Diablo career will be coming to an end soon.

AND BTW, I didn't want a frickin 3 page essay on a pally build. I just simply wanted an IDEA of:

str.-blah
    dex-blah
    vit.-blah
    nrg-none

Equipment-blah, etc, etc, etc. Because just incase YOU haven't noticed, there ARE NO guides for a high def pally. :rant:

Just wanted something that I could aim for. I could alter whatever to fit me, but I just wanted a general outline. Doesn't have to be "super best pwnage pally."

I wasn't looking for "oh you should do this, because if u don't do this you'll get owned by level 11 noob" "oh do this, and this, and when fightning sorc, dont stand still" Hello? Common sense? Anyone?

6. Mr.Glasscock

Mr.Glasscock Banned

:D Shenn i love u, marry me ; lets unite in our hatred together :eek:

The build wont be as good against itd attacks tho; bs, tornado, smite, zerk i think, bh, and some zon lit skills i think.. And the name just kinda gives it away what to do. Pretty much ALL pvp pals need as low as possible str to wear items, max block dex, all vit, no en.

Skills, iono cus this build will probably fail horribly against chars i mentioned above.

7. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

In general, the build you are looking at is called a defiant. If you are after incredibly high defense, then it is far better to max holy shield and defiance for its synergy. However, after that is all said and done, you want even more defense, so get plus to combat skills as much as possible. Holyshield boosts overall defense now and does it better than defiance itself does. If you are looking for an excellent build, you could try this one.

Defiant Vindicator.

20 smite
    20 holy shield
    20 defiance

equipment:: ethereal 'stone' armor (as light as possible, probably archon best).
    shako
    Stormshield (Having tried it out on my old vindicator, I got more defense out of storm than the herald)
    Weapon for smiting, probably a rose branded phase blade of quickness. Get some more ias somewhere, probably from an ias jewel in the shako.
    Belt...verdungos, string, tgods (personal preference), upgraded bladebuckle gets some nice defense and fhr, won't really need the dr from the other 2 options.
    ammy=maras, good pally ammy
    ring 1=20 dex ravenfrost, probably as good as ar as possible
    ring 2=bk ring, soj, other...
    gloves=bloods, good rares with ias if you need to get it here, orphans gloves are pretty good for the secondary attack I recommend.
    10 combat charms
    1 annilihus
    You will have a fair amount of plus skills, your charge will easily be at level 20 after all plus skills, probably 21. I suggest putting about 10 points into vigor, and using it to charge people like zons, sorcs, etc. Good luck, I am sure other paladin veterans can help out an equal amount. I apologize for some of the more ill mannered posts earlier.

--welt

8. Diminished-Soul

Diminished-Soul IncGamers Member

o_O

Thus, let the band-waggoning begin!

If you are going for some pro Def you could "pre buff."

Have a like Rosebranded War Scepter with +3 HS and HoZ...
    Cast HS then switch over and put on your normal gear or leave it as your switch.

9. CronicTKY

Thank you guys. Now, I never really thought about smite until you mentioned it Weltkriegpally. Now, I see that it might be a great idea if I plan on using Draacul's Grasp. I think I'll have to hotkey it. While I'll most certainly max it, sadly it'll have to be a secondary skill because I think I plan on using Zeal. Thanks again guys. This might actually work. One question though, are you 100% sure about Mara's? I know, it is Godly, but I've seen more Zealot-based pallies using Highlords.

10. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

I thought smite was ITD and unblockable? Also a ethereal zoded HoZ would be the ideal shield imo.

11. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

And watch your charrie top three smite damage!!

HOZ's smite damage is in the crapper. Upgraded normal is so much nicer and it leaves a socket open. I'll wager a pul'd upped HOZ is just as good as an eth zodded normal one.

12. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

He said it was non ladder...

13. Fearoth

Fearoth IncGamers Member

Eth non upped HOZ will have around 700min-800max defense
    upped non eth pul HOZ has only around 6xx...

Also i fail to see how storm gives u more defense than HOZ which first of all has more defense to start with AND has +skills to boost your defiance AND +4 to holy shield...

14. gzvernon

gzvernon IncGamers Member

maybe he's taking the 35% DR into account.

15. Dr4kan

Dr4kan IncGamers Member

for a high defense pally the high defense is gained from his shield.
    most high defense (rich ppl keep in mind, or dupers possibly :p)
    use a runeword called exile in an etheral elite pally shield

try get an ethereal 4 socket high res/ed sacred targe/rondache(they require less str then the others, and have the best blocking)
    exile adds nice defense, as well as res, and it has lvl 13-16 defiance aura, which is active so u can use fana or what ever, this combined with maxed holy shield, defiance for synergy and such u can reach very high defense
    get a shaftstop/leviathan for dr, a good gaze maybe or verdungos, even chains of honor is a nice pick for dam reduce/high defense. weapon, if ur gonna be a smiter, get a fast weapon with +skills, for overall dueling a silence phase blade is prolly one of the best weaps, 2 skills 20% ias, 20% fhr, 75 all res, and such, not much beats this, the thing is it has sucky dam, so if u wanna charge u might as well get a nice cruel/runeword like botd/doom.
    but as i said, only if ur rich, cuz exile is very expensive, but the defense is simply godly

16. CronicTKY

Truthfully, DR is not that big of a thing for me. I'm going to be using Gaze and String, so that should knock most of the DR chip away. There's, really, not much point in DR any more because of the cap. Thanks again for all the replies.

One more thing: I'd like to have maxed resistance in Hell, so (this may sound stupid) I was thinking about placing Um in Guardian Angel, Gaze, and HoZ. So, therefore "Exile" will not cut it for me. And I'm planning on using Eth BotD Zerk.

17. Weltkriegpally

Well, the reason I suggested the stormshield is because of the base defense on character level that it adds. In pre patch, the herald gave more, but now when I test, the storm gives more. If you want to go with dr (and you will need it), then a storm can still give you about 2k smite damage. With no damage aura, that is VERY respectable. However, some of your gear suggestions I really don't agree with. If you want to charge on switch, then a botd zerk is an awesome idea with a herald, storm, whatever floats your boat. I still think a tgods+storm+shako is better than the string+gaze+shield. Here is why. Shako gives you plus 2 all skills, life+mana on clevel, 10 dr, minor stats. Gaze gives up to 20 dr for a duel. Since leech almost certainly doesn't matter now, then I would say that the shako rules it in all aspects. Botd zerker is a great charging weapon, especially for the setup I recommended, but it stinks as a smiting weapon because you won't have enough ias to hit 6 frame smite, which you *need*. A rose branded phase of quickness, socketed with 2xias jewels, shaels, ums, etc, is a much better defiant option because it allows you to hit 6 frame smite much much easier. However, I do NOT recommend draculs (unless you are pubby) because life tap is extremely bad mannered, although the other mods are very nice. If you are wanting to get good resists, I would suggest the chains of honor for 8 dr, 2 all skills, and 65 resist all. It doesn't give you plus max resists, but you only need that for certain duels anyways. In those duels, you will be using botd zerker+herald (um or pdiamond) + guardian angel and charging for everything you got. I seriously suggest you pay some attention to the setup I suggested. It could matter greatly. good luck.

--welt

18. Weltkriegpally

defiant zealot? damn....that could be an interesting setup. I thought you wanted to do a defiant, lol. well, that could be a very interesting setup. I can't really help you. good luck, and yes, zealots=highlords, but need 4 frame zeal to win.

--welt

19. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

Erm, I have an eth non-upped hoz and it has in the low 600's. Granted its' really low ed but I doubt an eth hoz will top 7xx defense. And that's still an extra socket for resists, IAS, or some other mod.