Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP HC Dueling without Permanent Death

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by DonkeyHunter, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

Re: PvP HC Dueling without Permanent Death

Just allow PvP in arena zones close to Caldeum or something. Do it like WoW, that game has solved a lot of awkward issues, even though some whine about it.

2. g3rb1l

g3rb1l IncGamers Member

what the hell is the point of playing hardcore if you dont die? go back to softcore. the pvp needs to be nothing like WoW because frankly that pvp is horrible. there is nothing worse than when a game gets too carebear. problem with diablo 2 xpac is characters are doing 90k damage and it ruins dueling; classic was the sh!t.

3. Game Over

Game Over IncGamers Member

hear hear

used to love BvB was balanced much better, not prefect tho

4. Romak

Romak IncGamers Member

I'm with you.

5. Ith

Ith IncGamers Member

With you as well. HC characters should die permanently no matter the cause. Be it from dueling, arenas, or anything.

I believe they said that in D3 arenas dieing in HC is a permanent death, and I love that idea.

6. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

^Uhh no, I believe they said something else, I guess they are worried that HC arena death will render PVP arenas like an abandoned city, which it will. So they said something along the lines (cant find the blue post right now) but your desires of perma-death arenas are not going to happen.

7. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

Perma-death is the only option in hardcore. Hardcore is for PvE co-op, please keep the PvP, no manner, trash talking, whisper harassing crowd to softcore.

8. NotaBot

NotaBot IncGamers Member

HC duelling with perma-death could open up a whole playground of low level duelling, people would power level to a certain skill quantity breakpoint then hit the arena to duel, sure it would be brutal but the stakes are high . . some people would go for that.

9. vileguy

vileguy IncGamers Member

If PvP in HC results in perma death, people simply won't do it, there's no point in it even existing. It probably will be the same PvP as softcore.

10. Galabab

Galabab IncGamers Member

@vileguy:
    your wrong. If nobody will do it, fine then I will and get the champ title without effort. There will always be people who do it, and if their status of being a hc champ can be viewd and admired by others, the others will want it too.

I want to be a real HC pvp champion, whos way to glory led over many oppenents who had to be KILLED permanently.
    I will use all the cheap tricks and glitches that I find, I will cling to the throne until one day a new equally ruthless and bold condender slays me. And I may R.I.P.
    Thats real gaming.

11. vileguy

vileguy IncGamers Member

Not nobody, just almost nobody, at least compared to softcore. Like I said, it's a moot point because Bliz will prob make PvP the same.

Champ title? This isn't WoW. PvP is just for fun, it's not competitive or ranked, sorry to disappoint you.

12. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

PvP is very competitive. It can be calm and good mannered, but it's ultimately competitive.

Such competitions and aforementioned ranks would exist in a community of some kind, such as the various forums no doubt going to support a PvP section on the game.

13. Frostlion

Frostlion IncGamers Member

To gerbil and other who suggest hardcore is pointless without perma-death in PvP: I disagree.

In my limited experience (my highest lvl hardcore character was only level 79), there are at least two very different reasons to play hardcore:

1) The thrill and excitement of knowing you can die. This can make everything you play through feel more real, more visceral. Seeing your health bulb drop down and scrambling for that full rejuv potion is an adrenalin rush and some of the best fun. Even if the game crashes, waiting to come back to see if your character is still there can be fun and exciting.
    If this is your primary motivation, then although you will hate it when your character dies in the moment, you don't mind your characters dying in general. In fact, if you managed to play through all the way without dying on your first try, that might actually take away from the excitement and the suspense.

2) The added challenge compared to softcore. It's not about the chance of dying, it is about playing in such a way that you cannot die. It's running normal or nightmare over and over again to get geared up before you venture into the next difficulty. It's being meticulous, slow and careful. It is making a build that has a buffer even on a game crash. This is the same reason players run through the game naked, play their assassin with a bow or use no potions: an added and interesting challenge.

Now you may play hardcore for both of these reasons, or for a different one not mentioned. It is possible regardless of any particular reason though that you like PvP.

If the thrill is your primary motivation, you will love perma-death PvP: how much more exciting can it get than two men enter, one man leaves? You can't get a more heroic effort or a more insane adrenalin rush.

If the challenge is your primary motivation though, it's entirely possible you don't want perma-death PvP. After all, with the developers saying PvP won't be perfectly balanced, with a lot less ability to plan ahead and - let's face it - at least a 50% chance to die if you've never practiced before, this is entirely different from the challenge of a playthrough. You may still like this as a different kind of challenge, but unlike PvE, there's no way to beat PvP with enough planning and strategy, it's always quite possible the other person is simply a better player, more lucky or better geared than you.

In my view, both of these playstyles are valid for a hardcore player and either one can be respected. So it seems to me there should also be a system that works for people with both playstyles.
    The most obvious one seems to be to just have both perma-death and non-perma-death PvP. But that's not quite right yet. After all, if perma-death PvP isn't more special somehow, that takes away from the excitement of playing it.
    The best way to address this doesn't need to be to remove a non-perma version though, but simply to make the perma-death one more awesome. Make perma-death the only way to get a player's ear; make perma-death the only way to unlock special achievements; call non-perma-death 'battle practice mode'; allow you to get the other player's gear in perma-death.
    Any of these can be a way to make both types of arena work and keep both types of players happy. Which options you choose is a tricky process of course, because you want to make perma-PvP special enough. But there's a whole range of options less drastic than 'remove non-perma-PvP altogether'.

14. fat troll

fat troll IncGamers Member

All the whiners/idiots saying that PVP in HC will be non-existant can go f* themselves. I've been playing HC in D2 exclusively since the game came out, and PVP-ing gives an adrenaline rush unlike anything else possible in a video game. In some duels that i took part in, i've had more fun/excitement in 10 seconds than 99%+ of players have in 10 years playing softcore.

D2 had much more hacks/cheats/exploits than i suspect D3 will have, yet there was still an active pvp community. Sure, it wasnt nearly as big as SC dueling, but provided a very unique experience and it actually meant something (unlike SC).

I will not be surprised, however, if Blizzard caves in and caters to all you whiners/dumbasses. They already took away PK and RMT (which will force HC players to RMT via black markets such as jsp). Keep on whining, and you might just get an HC mode with no perma-death for PvE also.

15. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

PvP kiddies...

SC is that way ----------------------->

16. vileguy

vileguy IncGamers Member

In D2 you can get a character to 70 in a day. If HC PvP death is permanent, low lvl HC pvp will be popular I'm sure, but level 60s won't PvP much. It's just not possible because they can only do it once. I still think HC PvP will be the same as SC though.

17. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

I haven't been paying attention. What's the current situation regarding HC arena and perma-death?

18. gandalflobo

gandalflobo IncGamers Member

wow, a bit off topic but... you guys notice this thread started about 3 years ago?

19. Soval

Soval IncGamers Member

Last we heard (Blizzcon) there is no hardcore/permadeath PvP. The Arena is now "team death match" style, when you die you just respawn again after a few seconds and the goal is to rack up more kills for your team than your opponents can for theirs by the end of the match. Hardcore death or death punishments wouldn't really work in that kind of setup, and the arena is supposed to be about having fun, not risk-reward.

20. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

I am greatly disappointed. Between forcing me to play Softcore to unlock Hardcore and altering the very definition of Hardcore byallowing non-permadeath HC PvP, I can't imagine I'll be getting D3, which makes me sad.