Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

pvp hammer/smiter need help

Discussion in 'PvP' started by NoobXDon, Sep 1, 2006.

1. NoobXDon

NoobXDon IncGamers Member

pvp hammer/smiter need help

so i built my hammer/smiter pally
    i have a couple questions about what to socket my beautiful tiara with
    the stats are

+2 pally
    20 fcr
    54 life
    23 lite resist
    7 mf
    1os
    shud i shael or um this? i dont really need the resists, but its always good to stack since some of my resists are just at 75 in hell.

stats are like this
    str: base
    dex: enuff to wear greif pb/widowmaker and max block at lvl 94
    vita: 500 (After gear)
    energy: base

pts:
    20 vigor
    20 blessed aim
    20 hammer
    20 concentration
    10 Holy Shield (the rest of my pts are going in here)
    1 pt fanaticism for smite switch
    1 pt meditation for BM (since merc will prolly die)
    1 pt salvation ? not sure if i shud yet, i have the pt saved

gear:
    helms: Shako(um)/ shako (ber) / +2/20fcr circlet
    Ammy: Mara
    Weapon/shield 1: Hoto/ 35 pally spirit base 40 all resist
    Weapon/ shield 2: grief pb/hoz
    armor: mp nigma
    gloves: perf magefist/ trangs(when facing cold sorc)/ draculs(when facing melee)
    belt: arach/ 40-14 dungo/ tgods/ battleclash
    boots: treks/ tri resist 30frw-10fhr rares 'godly' rares / infernostride(until i get hotspurs)/ Light resist stack 30frw-10fhr rares
    rings: 219/19 raven/ 3%bk/ soj/ godly fcr ringx 2 with life/mana/resists/str/dex / dwarfstar/ need a wisp

in stash i have widowmaker

i dont think i need 4xpgem shields as the sorb items are good enuff. am i mistaken about this?

i have a 125%+ fcr setup, a close to 50% dr setup, and setups to fight certain element chars. does anyone see any gaping holes in my gear/setups? what else should i get?

thanks for the input and help. :thumbsup:

2. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

1) With grief, puting rest of your points into Smite is better than HS for the purpose of dmg. IMO 9 more pts into Holy Shield won't boost your defense dramatically.
    2) For that tiara I would shael so you can hit the 86 bp.
    3) IMO, I'll take 75%FCR + Grief on main gear than 125 + Smite switch. Pressing W at the wrong time or forgetting to switch may be disastrous especially for smite (hoto + hoz won't do well). But it's up to you. Also you'll have to prebuff BO and that might be painful in pubs.
    4) Yes you need Pgem shields but most likely only a light resist one.

3. NoobXDon

hmmm so i shud wear grief/hoz with 75% fcr and cta/spirit on switch?
    that would mean i would have to wear the circlet, arach, 2x fcr rings, and magefist.
    or
    shud i wear grief and spirit so i can hit the fhr/fcr breakpoints with better gear choices?

4. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

thats a good point switching like that never tends to work out well, u always end up pressing at the wrong time + the delay between switch is enough time for someone to attack as well.

yeah u wont be bale to carry ur bo gear so 75% fcr will be the best option.

At worst if u want to move to 125% fcr u will have to do it without smite and just use hammer, cuz like stated the switching is not the best idea.

cold res shield is nice to have as well vs blizz.

5. disc

disc IncGamers Member

forget the hoz its no were as good as spirit, use grief spirit trang gloves and the helm to hit 75 fcr, in pubs you still have room to menouvere your belt and ring and amu slots to maintain 75 fcr which should be enough. on switch use any spirit for the two bo skills and cta. as said 4 topaz shield and 4 saphire shield would be useful stash items.
    one point in salvation is always useful imo as is medi.

6. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

the problem i found with spirit although u get the nice fcr and fhr u lose a littel dmg in both areas, i.e the hammer and smite due to the skills also potential DR lose as he could ber a upped zaka and have a nice 8% dr and still have nice smite dmg.

7. disc

disc IncGamers Member

yes you loose 2 combat skills and 8% damage reduce if you go the spirit route but gain 35 fcr which makes the build alot more flexible, for example changing fcr amu for the helm and equip shako for an aditional 10% dmg reduce... apart from the minimal damge loss and 8% damage reduce the other mods add up to more than up hoz. ie alot lower str req, masses of fhr, substancial mana. all in all adds up to more life even with the added dex requirement.
    personally i find spirit the better shield for pubs if you get good base res but its worth trying both if you have the choice and deciding on your own. some ppl play more smiter than hammer and vice versa so it tends to be a personal choice with this build.

8. NoobXDon

so i should go max block with spirit? and what shield is best for spirit? sacred targe or rondache or zaka?

and the setup should be
    helm: circlet 2/20/20
    ammy: mara
    weapon1/shield1: grief/spirit
    weapon2/shield2: cta/spirit
    armor: nigma mp
    belt: dungo
    ring1: BK
    ring2: soj
    gloves: trangs/mage
    boots: treks
    and switch certain items based on enemy

rest of the pts going into smite, i also put 1 pt in fanat and mediation

9. NoobXDon

and how would a fortitude weapon sound as my primary weapon? 25%fcr, 300 ed, +life, 20-30 all resists. i think that would be a really decent weapon in a +3hammer/+3concentration caddy.

10. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

Sacred targe is the best pala shield imo due to having 60% block chance naturally then sacred rondache with 58% block.

forti weapon is junk u will not benifit much at all interms of the smite dmg as grief is the best weapon for smite.

Yeah he could use both shield also if u need maxblock get max block naturally with Zaka using normal base items as this will require quite abit less dex compared to spirit, wot i did is used waterwalks for dex and have something like a raven to push up for high dex, which will get u max block, as u will prolly need the raven for smite anyway so the cold dmg will not slow u and the dex and life on waterwalk are usefull.