Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

pvp Grim Reaper type vita barb possible?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by graycloud, Feb 17, 2004.

1. graycloud

graycloud IncGamers Member

pvp Grim Reaper type vita barb possible?

i wanna build a grim reaper type barb for pvp. in other words, a polaxe barb using a scythe type weapon with black armor. while i'd like a black helm too, i need resists and as much vit as possible. im thinking botd thresher/giant thresher for my final weapon. if not, cruel thresher/giant thresher of swift/quickness with shael.

oh and before i go into details about skills/equip, this barb is purely for fun.

for skills im thinking
    20 polearm mastery
    20 whirlwind
    20 shout
    20 battle orders
    10 speed
    1 natural
    1 battle command
    rest into iron skin

equip would be
    arreats (um'ed and upgraded)
    maras (for resist)
    botd thresher/giant thresher
    ???armor???
    2 20 dex ravens
    verdungos
    ik gloves
    sandstorm trek

this alone will give a min of +55 str and a min of +90 dex. dex is pretty much solved so all thats left is str. resists will be about +65 or so, so more resist will be needed. im thinking of getting lots of +5 str, +1x% resist to an element large charms, at least 12 charms so you get +60 str. add in a +20 stat annihilus and the +30 attributes from botd and str problems are solved with +110 str. add up the 30 str you get from the start, and the items and you have at least 195 str. almost enough to wear a hel-ed sacred armor, just 2 more str needed i believe. for the rest of your charms i'd say 4 combat mastery gcs with life (for more resists/defense/damage/speed from all your masteries), a +2 str sc, and 2 +5 res all scs. you probably wont need the +2 str sc if you make the reqs. keep in mind this is bare minimum str comming from sandstorm. chances are you'll get more. and this is also considering you're gonna use a sacred armor.

so my questions are...

what good armors are out there that are black in color? only 2 i can think of are IK armor and corpsemourn. corpsemourn seems better due to higher defense. even higher when upgraded. socket this with hel? or use hel ik armor?

is griz armor black when worn?

what would be better, botd thresher or giant thresher?

also, what are the reqs on botd threshers or giant threshers? so i can get an even better idea of what to equip my barb with if i decide not to use a black armor.

complicated build and waste of inventory space with all those str charms, but with that amount of vita and defense if you can get a good armor, you'll be hard to hit and hard to kill. and hopefully this will make your char run hella fast so you can bum rush people, tanking hits while closing the distance. what do you guys think? probably a waste of time, but i think it would be fun.

scythe barbs were 133t shtuff back in the day. lets bring them back.

(sorry if this post has bad bad grammar errors and spelling errors. its 4 in the morning and im sleepy)

2. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

man, you have to go all the way. don't use um'd arreats (though it IS the best option). Use a black-colored grim helm or bone visage of some sort. It would look totally freaky!

--fatty

3. tumpelo

tumpelo IncGamers Member

use natalayas helm.. its black and it would look great..

4. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

You may want to try the Steel Carapace unique Shadow Plate. It's not quite as black as the Courpsemourn (was just comparing them on my barb, my merc has a corpsemourn, I have a steel carapace) but it rather nice. My account name is the name as my forum name here if you're on the West ladder I can show you what both look like.

5. asdfghjkl

asdfghjkl IncGamers Member

Natalya's Helm (or a 3 socket bone visage with one perfect skull and two 40/9str jewels; the pskull goes in first for the black color)

Ethereal or non ethereal Steelcarapace (corpsemourn would work too, I'd upgrade it to elite for more defense)

Breath of the dying in a giant thresher (threshers only get 5 max sockets)

6. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

i think the reaper uses berserk or concentrate, not whirlwind.

7. graycloud

nats helm! i didnt think of that. just as good as arreats stat wise. if i can get a perfect one and socket it with um, it'll be just as good resistance wise too.

i think in the end it'll all depend on my AR. arreats has that 20% bonus to AR along with +2 barb skills and +2 combat skills, i think its a large AR boost. i havent played a barb since 1.09 so we'll see how it goes.

as for conc/zerk over WW, i dont know if my swing speed will be enough. anyone know the breakpoints for normal attacks with a giant thresher?

8. Babe Bridou

Babe Bridou IncGamers Member

don't use a giant thresher, if you really want to play the Grim Reaper, you need a Thresher.
    put Eternity in it!

9. Palapk

Palapk IncGamers Member

or you can try the uniq visage Giant Skull- looks grey and its a hell of alot better than nats
    and its got 2 sockets (hopefully)

10. graycloud

i need the last breakpoint for WW though. botd gives it, eternity doesnt :(

as for giant skull, no dex or resists, which i will be needing.

11. Ifrit18

Ifrit18 Banned

does it have to be a thresher or giant thresher? You could go with etheral tomb reaver.

12. Grandar King of Trolls

Grandar King of Trolls IncGamers Member

If you do make him, can you post a screen shot?

13. jjashik

jjashik IncGamers Member

i would suggest that you use 1 20dex 230+ar rfrost ring and angelic ammy and angelic ring. or if u have cbf in your other equip, then use 2 angelics. they give massive ar. since you won't be using a shield for pvp. your going to want more ar so that you hit more. i'm basing this on bvb only tho.

14. graycloud

right now my guy is level 59. im using 1 raven. 20 dex, 220 AR. and another ring with 116 AR with life leech. i have almost 4k AR with WW and berserk. about 5k defense with my level 1 shout. i have 1381 base life.

until i start dueling i wont know how much AR i will need. i havent really dueled with a barb in a really long time (since like pre expansion).

i'd post screen shots but i dont know where i can host them. anyone know of a place?