Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP foh pally

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by YoungDbl, Nov 7, 2006.

1. YoungDbl

YoungDbl IncGamers Member

PvP foh pally

Hey all,
    When you are building a character specifically for pvp how do you manage to play through the game? In particular a foh pally. It seems pretty close to impossible to play through to pat and baal run up to a decent level like 90. I really want to build one and I can twink and equip him to some extent. Thanks for the replies :listen:

2. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I know nothing about PvP, but I do believe that FoH is a build sometimes used for Pindle running. Perhaps you could level up on him?

For questing, I'd reccomend MP if you weren't self-found. Maybe a teleport amulet or staff and a solid merc? :smiley:

3. YoungDbl

After recent issues I think i'll stick to self found and self leveling. I was thinking normal would be cake I made a holy thunder war sceptar so I can just melee my way through. Level up on normal pindle to around 50 maybe and try to take baal down. Nm is a whole different story though.. There is when melee isn't an option.. Also lightning immunes will be annoying. I was thinking that maybe for LI I could slap on a hard hitting weapon and force out some zeals or something. For act boss's after normal im not to sure what to do. So any one who has built a pure foh pally can you please assist me?

4. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

Well, I usually build my pvp chars with a little pvm in mind. I *try* and choose builds that are easy enough to handle on my own. Sometimes that isn't always possible and usually get a friend to run along the game with me. A lot of my pvp chars can't really handle solo P8 Baal runs because of how their items and skills were tailored. The main staple of my leveling techniques is Eldritch. P8 Eldritch runs are safe (gloam-free!), quick, and not entirely wasted item-wise (I have a lot of ilvl ~84 stuff). I've leveled all of my pvp chars to 90 (plus or minus a couple levels) using that method.

I was actually curioius to how other PvP'ers level their characters short of MP. Am I the only Eldritch fiend? I know Zhao leeches a lot in Baal games to feed his septi. addiction, but what about some of you other guys? Pits? Pindle? Just man up and run Baal? Purely MP?

5. YoungDbl

Well I wish I could MP with some one. Maybe if one of you more "well known" and "higher respected" PvP'ers decide to make a new character I could run along with you? I play vanilla though so that doesn't help since almost no one is vanilla who pvps. Let me know though...

6. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Kind of...there are PvM FoH'ers that can kill Pindle and his entire pack in 1-2 shots, but it's the Holy Bolts after the FoH rather than the FoH itself that does the killing. The problem is that you need 20 points in Holy Bolt for the synergy, and Holy Bolt is more or less useless in PvP so in essence you've wasted a lot of skill points.

Your best bet to level is to leech off of your own Baal runs by running 2 instances of D2 via the modified d2gfx.dll. That's what I did when I had to level PvP characters that were less than stellar in PvM (ww barb, bone necro, ww-sin, etc.).

To elaborate:
    1) Host TCP/IP game with PvP character and set to /p8
    2) Open another instance of D2, and join previous TCP/IP game with powerful rushing character (Enigmadin in my case).
    3) Rusher invites PvP character to party, runs to Throne Room, and clears the monsters in the area where Baal's minions spawn.
    4) Before minion waves come, open a portal in one of the southern corners.
    5) Switch back to PvP character's game, accept party invitation from rusher, and step through the portal.
    6) Switch back to rusher and kill minions as usual, while being careful that the PvP character doesn't get killed by a stray monster.
    7) When it's time for Baal, enter with rusher character first and fight for a few seconds to gain Baal's attention.
    8) Enter with PvP character, then switch back to rusher and kill Baal.
    9) Save, Exit, and repeat.

If you can't/don't want to do that, then get a secondary skill like Smite for FoH that you can kill with. After you get FoH, Holy Shock, and Conviction (don't have to max Conviction, just get it to slvl 25 with your gear) you should have a lot of points left for Holy Shield and Fanaticism. Calculate how many spare points you'll have left, and get Holy Shield and Fanaticism first to help with leveling. Later on, you can get a Passion runeword and play like a zealot (either with Fanat or Holy Shock on).

7. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

When I built mine, I zeal'd my way through the game (since you need Zeal to get to FoH). The sole reason for creating him was for PvP, so I didn't feel bad not using those skills ingame. :rolleyes:

@Liq: if Eldritch is mlvl84, wouldn't clvl90 be slow going (lvl90>84+5)? Or do you not see much let down in the XP?

EDIT: Found the link to my Pat.

8. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

kabal mentioned Smite, which works great with Crushing Blow vs. bosses, but a FoHer will always have Zeal also. If you want to be awesome, make it a V/T or T/V (FoH/Smite hybrid). Then you'll have at least 1 point in Fanaticism or even maxed Fanaticism. Zealot gear on, Fanaticism on, Zealot you have. Not the fastest killer in the game, but way faster than doing it the FoH way, at least with a heavy hitting weapon.

edit: partially pwnt by jrlafrance

9. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Didn't even realize that Zeal was a pre-req for FoH, I guess that shows how often I go down that side of the Combat tree. :badteeth:

10. YoungDbl

I dont know.. Im just not sure what to do for a pvp character. Foh seemed fun but I can barely play through the game with good builds I dont know how I would manage with a build like that.

11. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

It's a Zealot. Slap on high amount of life steal, some mana steal and a hurty 1-handed stick + HoZ. GG. :tongue:

That is if you'd go with a Smiter/FoH hybrid -> max Fanaticism.

12. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Hm.. wonder why no one mentioned just using your 1pt zeal and holy shock. You're going to max shock anyway because it's the synergy for FoH and a good shockdin can have a good time getting tuogh the game. You might want to get a little twinking gear because of the unsynergised holy shock, but you should be able to do well enough. Besides, FoH is a pretty decent spell even in PvM if you can use it well. Get a good tanking merc and anything non LI will have hurties.

13. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Templar is one of the rare PvM-unfriendly builds. Just for finishing game 1 point zeal + Fana (if you decide to make v/t) or zeal + Holy shock is good enough. If you plan to level him solo your best option is Eldritch, he's harmless. If your plan is pure FoH build (which BTW isn't that good idea, better make FoH/smite) you don't need that high lvl. I usually start dueling when my char reaches 85 and that's quite easy to get from Eldritch runs.

Eldritch rules until lvl 87-**, then it becomes really boring. I usually avoid Pindle with melee chars because his charging minions have good chance of killing my char :embarassed: I think I was runing Pindle only with ww barb, he had way too much life to die.

My last char (lvl 90 templar/vindicator) was leveled in Baal runs (tele down to throne with sorc, don't have enigmadin). He could also do p8 Baal runs on his own, but I guess even unskilled char with Grief and Fort could do that :smiley:

14. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Nope. Been doing it for years myself. Now you know how all my pallies get up to level 90 really quickly. Players 8 eldritch with a 4 fps schaeferdin is qucker than running from the start point to the way point.
    When I remade my grissy avenger I ran him from about level 82 - ** on eldritch alone, even found a few toys thanks to the mf on the helm and war travs.

15. sablast

sablast IncGamers Member

I did pits, full throne of destruction together with baal, or ball runs, depending of character and my mood. On p8 mostly. I prefer pits lately.
    Throne of destruction is the most interesting for me, but is is the slowest.
    For example, I never did pindle runs. I killed him 3 times per character, and that's all:)