Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvP Blocking opinions needed

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by GIR, Mar 21, 2005.

1. GIR

GIR Banned

PvP Blocking opinions needed

For a PvP Lightning sorc using a Spirit Monarch, considering the low blocking % of a Monarch, should I go for max blocking or no? I'm guessing no, since it takes over 300 Dexterity points to achieve it.

I guess my real question is, should I go for some blocking, say maybe 50%, or just forget it and go all Vitality?

2. parkerbsb

parkerbsb IncGamers Member

No sense going block,espically with anything other than whitstans/upped moser/stormsheild.

Dex= enough to wear gear for ya :D

3. GIR

GIR Banned

I forgot to mention too, since I haven't been able to play in a few weeks, but this character is also for Countess running, if that effects any answers. I think some block is needed because of all those damned Archers down there, but I'd still like to hear opinions from people more experienced than I am as far as Sorc building/use goes.

4. parkerbsb

What skills are you using?

For a light sorc I'd definatly get 20 points in telekenisis, and around 10 in esheild.

If you are pvping then your esheild will be around 95% after all the + skills from skillers GC's/gear. If you are wearing spirit for dueling, have a Stormsheild in your stash for your countess running if you feel the need to.

Realistically tho, you'll want Faster hit recovery more than faster block/max block.

With a well built lightning sorc, you should rip through the countess (chain lightning is YUMMY there!) and not really worry about dying (esp with es and a decent merc).

5. GIR

GIR Banned

No EShield here. Max Charged Bolt, Lightning, Chain Lightning, Lightning Mastery. 1 point in TStorm and Warmth. Working on putting points into Nova last time I was on.

Gear, if I remember correctly is...

Helm - Rare Coronet: +2 Sorc, 20 FCR, +19 Strength, Resists to all [forget the exact numbers for each at the moment]
    Amulet - 28 Mara's
    Weapon - +3, xx% Fire, 20% Lightning Eschuta's
    Shield - Spirit Monarch [will be clearing an rerolling for highter FCR once I get some more Hel Runes]
    Armor - 14% Lightning Ormus'
    Rings - 2x SoJs
    Belt - Arachnid Mesh

Still need a few things to finish up. 2x Um, one for the Coronet, the other for the Ormus', and a 5/5 Lightning Facet for the Eschuta's, and then the Lightning Skillers, of course.

6. parkerbsb

Well you should consider boots/gloves with FHR (bloodfists and IIRC sandstorm's have fhr). I'm not good with the breakpoints (except fcr..) but I'd think that you want around 50FHR to be well equipped. Even without a huge block chance, you'll recover fast enough to fry whoever hit you; and have enough vita to survive a few solid hits.

I wouldn't put points in es/tk if you don't have 30 points to spare.
    (OT) NICE circlet! :D (/OT)

I'd say you have solid enough gear to easily do countess (get a A2 holyfreeze merc, with vampgaze/shaftstop/reapers toll... he can tank anything in countess' area easily)

7. GIR

GIR Banned

Oh yeah, stupid me forgot Gloves and Boots. Right now I'm using Magefist and 15/15 Treks. Yeah... definetly haven't played in a few weeks.

And yeah, I knew I wasn't going to have 30 spare points, so that's why I didn't shoot for EShield at all.

I really should have asked this question before I put points into Dexterity. [I had 268 saved up, and got all twitchy-fingered] I think I maybe put 100 or so in, I really can't remember. I'll have to get on again for a few minutes when I can to look. I think at the time I was trying to go for 50% Block or something.

I can always rebuild if I need to I suppose, especially since this will probably be the last character I make this Season anyway.

Thanks on the Coronet. Yeah, once day I decided to gamble for Circlets. That popped up on my 3rd one. I was originally going to trade it since I didn't make Sorcs at the time, and got offered 4 HRs for it, but then I decided since I had most of the equipment, I'd make a Sorc myself, so I kept it to use. It looks a lot better than that ugly Shako that everyone uses, anyway.

8. parkerbsb

Heh, that's the way of it... you never get what you want... until you don't want it anymore :D

I'm glad you decided to keep the circlet... I'd say 4 hr's for it is too low!

Anyways yeah trecks give you 20 fhr,I know 24 is the important breakpoint (I crafted a 20 fcr (maybe it was 10fcr... i forget) / 24 fhr belt that people were really excited to trade for back in .09.

Point being you want a 5fhr small charm (if you are e/l/sc I can hook you up) to get past that bp and you should be fine :)

9. GIR

GIR Banned

I was thinking about it, and I won't be rebuilding, anway. I got to thinking, since I already have the Strength to use a Monarch, I'll just keep a Stormshield in my Stash for dueling Melee, since it has Increased Chance of Blocking and DR, so those already-invested points into Dexterity won't go to to much waste.

When I was planning out this character, I had little experience with Sorc building, so I didn't know what Boots to use at first. I looked through the AS at them all, and after looking over all the stats, Treks definetly seems like the best choice, with FHR, Strength, Dexterity, and the often-overlooked Poison Resistance. [And in a good amount, too.] I don't get why when asking people on b.net what they use, almost everyone says Silkweaves. Yeah, ok, it has Increased Mana, but the rest of the stats are really negligable. I think Marrowwalks would be the only other choice I'd consider, with 17-20 Strength, 17 Dex, and Mana Regen. While they give a few more points to stats than Treks do, in the end FHR won out for me.

And yeah, I'm on ESCL. If you could toss me a FHR Charm when I'm able to get back on that could be great. I used to have a mule full of FHR, FRW, MF, Strength, and Dexterity Small Charms, but it expired when I wasn't able to get on for a couple of months.

10. parkerbsb

Yeah I'm the same way
    Trecks > Marrowalks >Waterwalks > Silkweaves... of course if you got a REALLY good roll on rare boots they could easily beat the snot out of all of em (well for a sorc anyways).
    Yeah I'm online quite infrequently now, but look me up (*jwithers) if I'm on just give me a whisp.

I don't think it's a bad idea to use the dex for increased blocking really... it will make you a little weaker VS casters... just remember to keep the FCR above 105 even if you are taking on melee!

11. GIR

GIR Banned

I'm mostly worried about Casters in PvP because of the high damage, so lots of Life is needed. Good melee can do lots of damage too, but I should be able to Teleport faster than any of them, so they shouldn't be able to get near enough to do any damage. [In theory, anyway. I really need to practice my PvP skills though, especially attacking quickly and accurately after Teleporting, since my few PvP characters prior to this never used Teleport] 110 FCR without Spirit shouldn't be a problem. 40 from Eschuta's, 20 from the Coronet, [if I remember right, Resists on it are 8/27/8/8 by the way] 20 from Ormus', 20 from Arach, and 20 from Magefist which totals 120. With Spirit I'll have 150+ once I get a decent roll. What's the next BP after 110, by the way?

12. parkerbsb

Next bp is 200% Wich is pretty high... (I'm making a 200% FCR fireball sorc right now BTW).

Yeah casters can do some serious damage, however with the 1/6th and resists they are manageable. I'd suggest swapping out one of the soj's for a raven/wisp projector/dwarfstar depending on the caster you are facing... 1 absorb is not BM.

I went into a pubby duel with my 600+mf bliz sorc and was suprised how poor people's teleport skills were. Really it's just a matter of not teleporting in a predictable manner. Accuracy with the spells will come after that.

Also I've never played a PvP lighting sorc, but your cast speed is slower than cold/fire for cl/lit so keep that in mind... I think after you cast you can walk b4 you are able to cast teleport, so walk a few steps then start teleporting again ... it'll save your hide

13. GIR

GIR Banned

Well, I doubt I'll be getting, or even going for, 200% FCR with this sorc, so my FCR is fine. That's good to know.

Getting some Absorb items to keep in my Stash, along with the Facet, Ums, and Skillers is my next step.

My Teleport skills are probably really lacking right now, since like I said, it's never been a factor in previous PvP characters. I'll be working on that whenever I can get back on too.

Hmmm... I'll give the Cast/Walk/Teleport thing a try, too, to see how that works.

14. parkerbsb

Well yeah the 200FCR rate is mainly for Fireball sorcs now, everyone else is fine at 105FCR (115 gets rid of double teleports tho so most PvP aim for that)

The gear is still expensive, but a good dueler with crap gear > a crap dueler with good gear so practice up :D

I'd suggest go into pubbies and hostile everyone, if you can teleport near the fighting and stay alive... you are getting better already

That last thing I'm not 100% sure of, but IIRC it's either a F-orb or a lightning gglitch, so try to cast/teleport if you cant teleport immidatly learn the timing for the walk then teleport thing.(walk because then you can still block with your sheild).

... Oh yeah, good luck with the build!

15. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

Too much dex. No.

- Dennis