PvP Barb: Base STR or No Base STR

Opeeq

Diabloii.Net Member
PvP Barb: Base STR or No Base STR

Hey everyone :)

I believe that this is the first SERIOUS pvp barb I have ever made

Been thinking a lot about his stats/skills/items, and only one question remains:

Base str or not?

I can carry all of my items by using items only, so base str will do. How does this reflect on damage? I've read somewhere that 1pt in str is equal to 1%ed, so putting some 60-70 pts would mean about 60-70%ed, but adding some 250+life through vitality also does not sound like a bad idea.

BTW I have a WW Ebotdz/beast barb, unstatted and unskilled, lvl 82

Thanks for any insights!

mainaman

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: PvP Barb: Base STR or No Base STR

str for extra dmg is really bad idea, more life>>
grab 34+ ias grief that >>>>>>>>> any botd
it might be a good idea to add some dext so you can use widowmaker with hel in it.
you need to lvl to 92+ for your barb to be effective.
Here uoi can find a nice guide on how to make a BvC,
http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=608622

xxxkillerxxx

Diabloii.Net Member

Go base str or add 7 for dusk enigma if you're investing alot into shout.

Barbs are probably the simplest chars to make, just put all points into vita, skill whatever you want and use default gear vs everything until you get really good.

jaxz

Diabloii.Net Member

As mentioned, it is a bad idea to invest str for the purpose for more damage, and a 360dmg griefz > 415ed ebotdz.

Most clan babas made full vita barbs, (we shall not touch on bva here). However, most pub builds go for some strength, for versatility in gears. For example wearing berber coa with 2x doomz and hotspurs at the same time. No which build is the best, just your preference.

UberB

Diabloii.Net Member

I agree the jaxz, you need some strength for the gear versatility as some parts of equipment won't be built in and you need to make sure you can wear every probable combination of gear with the least amount of strength (mostly you need enough strength to wear BerBer coa with any viable gear swap that you would be likely to use).

zzzackkk

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd say no to base str, for reasons stated in the guide. You loose tons of versatility which actually makes a huge difference for your character. Being able to wear which ever rings you want, angelics, ravens, or even rares. If you stat around enigma you loose the opportunity to use fort which makes a huge difference vs. other barbs, smiters, and hammerdins. Gear changes aren't necessary for a BvC to work, but being versatile makes a huge difference.

xxxkillerxxx

Diabloii.Net Member

You loose tons of versatility which actually makes a huge difference for your character.
Hardly makes any difference at all, especially not at the higher levels of playing.

Being able to wear which ever rings you want, angelics, ravens, or even rares. If you stat around enigma you loose the opportunity to use fort which makes a huge difference vs. other barbs, smiters, and hammerdins.
The only difference fort makes vs those chars is that you autolose vs anyone good.

Gear changes aren't necessary for a BvC to work, but being versatile makes a huge difference.
Playing as much as you can with default gear and resisting to switch even if you lose makes a bigger impact in the end.

You can use every single needed/viable gear switch with base str/dex. People who enjoy using fort should obviously invest some str but don't do it to expect to win more duels. And I won't even comment on pumping dex to be able to use widow+fcr rings lol...

UberB

Diabloii.Net Member

Haha, it seems that many of us (me included) are not aware that barbs can still wear BerBer CoA with base strength, but now that I think of it, they DO start with a huge strength amount...

xxxkillerxxx

Diabloii.Net Member

Haha, it seems that many of us (me included) are not aware that barbs can still wear BerBer CoA with base strength, but now that I think of it, they DO start with a huge strength amount...
Hehe all my 1.10 barbs were base str and now there's torch to compensate for the lack of str from botd.

With torch you can even use widow with base dex should you want to. If you add 3 str you can use fort together with 30str/ow belt and arreats. I use neither but they are fun for sure =)

SicHalo

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd say no to base str, for reasons stated in the guide. You loose tons of versatility which actually makes a huge difference for your character. Being able to wear which ever rings you want, angelics, ravens, or even rares. If you stat around enigma you loose the opportunity to use fort which makes a huge difference vs. other barbs, smiters, and hammerdins. Gear changes aren't necessary for a BvC to work, but being versatile makes a huge difference.
forti is no where near as good as it used to be.. hammerdins haver got better with boxing style techniques and this practically destroys barbs that can't tele due to lack of mobility. Same for widow vs a good hammerdin widow has almost no affect vs hammerdins if they play offensive enough to stop thee use of widow..

vs smiters again the lack of frw is needed when vs a good tele smiter although forti does crush the weak shift+ smite but no real match vs a hf tele-smiting pala..

So imo forti plus widow is weak vs any decent player..