Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM zealot

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Angry, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Angry

Angry Banned

PvM zealot

i was halfway through making a frost zealot as my first chap back from not playing for a while, and i thought to myself, angry, you've made a frost zealot before, also: you have an azurewrath that you can't sell cuz no one will buy it even though its almost perfect so theoretically its very valueable.

so i thought, well i can't get myself an HOZ but i do have a stormshield, azurewrath, and enough to hopefully trade for a moderately good set of zealot equipment. but then i realized that i know nothing about paladins other than 1) frost zealots are fun when you can get the +skills 2) avengers are near invincible and kill everything but are kinda boring 3) making a vindi/temp for cheap doesn't work well in PVP at all 4) i want to make a high phys dmg zealot

so here's the questions:
    1) besides sacrifice, zeal and fanat, what other skills should i max?
    2) will the magic and cold damage from the azurewrath be enough to take out PI's in hell
    3) crushing blow or deadly strike (assuming i can get a lot of either haha)
    4) resists vs damage reduction
    5) is life going to be a problem with the high str req or stormshield and the high dex req of azurewrath
    6) is it ok to ask for a rush from you guys?

thanks guys i appreciate the help and feel free to chip in other suggestions

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1. Put 1 point in the utility auras...Vigor, Sanctuary, Blessed Aim (also gives a passive bonus to AR:) Redemption. Holy Shield to a decent level...will also ease your dex requirements.
    2. Yes...PI creatures are usually the low-hp ones...but bosses with stoneskin can be a serious pain.
    3. Crushing blow...and Deadly:) I think that Crushing Blow is the best especially when you have a "low" damage weapon like Azurewrath.
    4. Resists are most important...even for melee only characters...but if you're planning on using Stormshield PDR shouldn't be much of a problem.
    5. Probably, but with max block and good resists + PDR from Stormshield you should be able to keep this baby alive:)
    6. I don't play on Battle-net

You really need to stack up on the crushing blow...because crushing blow is sweet, especially with a 4 frame Zeal.

3. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

1. you should max holy shield and after that defiance or blessed aim, depends if u need AR or def
    2. maybe
    3. good question, :lol: but they are both useful
    4. in pvm I think resists are more important
    5. hmm, sorry, but I dont know that, my suggestion would be (bad) try to get hoz, that will give you good str, and u need about 140 dex for max block, I think it was round 140...
    6. depends in what realm do you play and who do you ask, if you are in europe ladder, I might rush you and give you some material help too...

not good answers but, I hope theres any help

*priit

4. Angry

Angry Banned

so w/ the staying alive problem: string of ears + stormshield = max PDR and decent resists. if i max resists and max holyshield + defiance that should get me good defense right? is that enough or do zealots take a lot of damage?

about killing power: i'm not sure i can max out cb, but with a might merc should i be alright or will i be pitifully weak? cuz that pisses me off

5. Chimaira

I don't think you should max Defiance, since you're going to use Fanatiscism most of the time (if not all the time). Unless it has some hidden synergy bonus that I don't know of. Zealots can have okay defence with Holy Shield so with max damage reduction and max resist, max block, you should be fine...

Killing power: You should be fine...Azurewrath isn't the greatest of weapons but you could do a lot worse...like me. Might merc is definitely a must if you're a damage man..Maxed crushing blow isn't a must, but more is always better:) If you want a build that is totally overkill you need a better weapon.

6. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

Shouldn't a "Frost Zealot" be using Holy Freeze as his aura?

Frost Zealots also usually have a lot of CB gear.

7. Angry

Angry Banned

yes but if you read the post i'm not making a frost zealot, i WAS, but now i'm not. now i'm going for more phys damage

8. Fallen Creation

Fallen Creation IncGamers Member

Angry
    1.) As several others have already pointed out, Holy Shield is a good option, for blocking and defense. I would max that out after your 3 main skills. One point in Salvation is a good idea, for resistances when you need them. If you need more defense after you max Holy Shield, you can throw some points in Defiance for the synergy to Holy Shield, or if you want more AR, you can put them in Blessed Aim for the hidden AR bonus.
    2.) It should be enough to handle PIs. If it isn't, you can throw a point in Vengeance, or just run away :D .
    3.) Both, but Crushing Blow might help you out more if you're using a lower damage weapon like Azurewrath.
    4.) 35% DR from Stormshield should be fine for PvM. Focus on getting some resistances. Also, Dracul's Grasp are great for PvM; the Life Tap goes off constantly (albeit somewhat unpredictably) when you're Zealing at 4 fpa.
    5.) 156 Strenth for Stormshield and 136 Dexterity for Azurewrath isn't really that bad. You need the Dex for blocking anyway. If you can, get some equipment that adds to life.
    6.) If you're on USWest, then I can try.

Chimaira
    Defiance synergizes Holy Shield.

9. Angry

Angry Banned

i'm on USEast, but thanks for the offers to help rush.

anyhow i'm level 20 now, maybe 21, trudging along in act 3, i'll get a rush sooner or later. gear wise right now i have storm and azure, of course, but i have to decide between guillames and stealskull, i'm leaning towards guillames, although i need to find some LL first. i have a guardian angel, but until i can get an um rune i might have to stick with skins of the vipermagi in order to get the resists. i have some waterwalks, which might be nice because of the nice dex boost.

anyhow so far i'm looking good, thanks for the help and feel free to chip in whatever advice you think is relevant

10. Angry

Angry Banned

alright update: cuz i know you all care ;)

anyhow Pant-Stealer is level 75 now, using heavens light, HoZ, guardian angel, war travs (still looking for non-ethereal gore riders), verdungo's hearty cord, soon to be using draculs grasp, stealskull (until i get mana leech, then guillames), 8 ll ring, ravenfrost, and the ultra1337 nokozon relic. i've maxed out sacrifice, zeal, fanat, and i've got 10 into holy shield, with a couple points left over.

here's my question for you guys:

should i max out holy shield? because i'm planning on using azurewrath, i'll have pretty high dex, so blocking shouldn't be an issue, and with blocking out of the way, the only reason to keep pumping holy shield would be defense. so i guess i'm asking is defense a pretty big deal for a PvM zealot?

the next question is what else should i put points into then? i don't see myself getting too far past level 85, my need to build a mf char and my short attention span will see to that. so at level 85, i will have 12 points to spend, my question then is what should i spend it on? i already have one point into 7 of the defensive auras (all minus the 3 single-res auras) only the prereqs and fanat in offensive auras, and the offensive skill reqs, and my main skills.

so what are your guys' opinions? i appreciate the help

11. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

Some one-point wonders you should consider IMO are: Cleansing, to remove curses/poison, which would save you quite some trips to town. Salavtion, to solve tricky situations with Lower Resist/Conviction + heavy elemental damage. Vigor, to simply run faster is handy in som situations. Redemption, To remove corpses when reviving-mosters are around. To max out Holy Shield isn't bad either. Because that provides you with an excellent alternate attack, Smite.

12. Angry

Angry Banned

alright well i put them into the blessed aim cuz my ar kinda sucks, a little dissappointing but i think as i level some more i should be fine, looks like i'll be taking this build to at least 90 eventually.

i'm at 85 now, with azurewrath, the only problem i need to solve now really is mana leech and the ar problem. i wanna use guillames but i'm using steelskull til i can get ML.

13. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

Why not put a Pskull in Azurewrath?

14. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm hope i am not OT here but i made a smealot (zeal+smite pally) and he used a grief pb and HOZ and then on switch 'Passion' cryptic sword and 'spirit' sacred targe :p The Passion cryptic sword i find invalueble and cheap as its an

1) Anti PI measure with +1 berserk :p

2) Anti Iron Maiden tactic since u are dealing magical and not physical damage

P.s I just maxed zeal/fan/sacrifice/holyshield and max/as many pts into smite :p Hell Baal falls in secs when i smite+zeal with dracs and i never died once i slapped dracs on lol I do have highlords+gores as well and a cheap 'Lionheart' boneweave which i am thinking of changing to a 'Duress' light elite armor mmmm

15. Cadet

Cadet IncGamers Member

Um...curious, but why does a Zealot need mana leech?At lvl 85 a Zealot with base Energy should have all the mana he needs and then some, from the auto added mana from each level-up. Not to mention, +stats and some gear should give all the +mana that would be (probably needed).

16. Chimaira

The only reason I can think of is mana burn monsters...but they shouldn't be too annoying.

17. EdvinMedvind

EdvinMedvind IncGamers Member

@Bartucka: Interesting idea. So is all of the damage converted to magic damage? And isn't it a problem that you lose all of your defense? I really hate those IM casting dorks, so this good be a good idea.

@Cadet: I have a Zealot without any mana leech and it usually isn't a problem. If there is mana burn I sometimes have to chug down a mana pot, but not that often.

18. batuchka

Yes all physical dmg converted to magical and yes i do worry about crappy defence but with max holyshield and a spirit sacred targe my %blocking is maxed and the resists in that shield (i made a spirit with 25res all) and +2 ALL skills boosts the berserk (and BO if u have CTA) so its a really cheap yet effective way to deal with those IM dorks! Also since Passion runeword gives 25ias i went for a fast weapon like Cryptic Sword but if one could find a Cadacues with +skills that would be sweet with nice dmg range too hehe. Lastly since i use dracs i smite with my spirit sacred targe and lifetap triggers (its ITD *and* stun in PvM) so i leech life with berserk too @@ but i would advise this tactic against IM dorks as i am sure smite = physical dmg but PIs are a joke lol.

19. EdvinMedvind

EdvinMedvind IncGamers Member

I will give it a try. Like you said, the runes are not that expensive. I'll go looking for appropiate socketables.

Cheers

20. batuchka

Oh ya just a tip - my mf bone/summon necro found a number of cryptic swords (white text/socketed/eth) at the garden leading to pindle, hell cows and those weapon stands at hell memphisto a lot :p Perhaps these are good places to find them. Still waiting to land a nice juicy 4s caddy with +skills hehe. Then i'd use that passion crypt on a wolf/bear or future chars in the anti PI/IM measure hehe.