Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PVM Zealot Weapon question...

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by gvandale, Apr 1, 2004.

1. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

PVM Zealot Weapon question...

Ok, so I'd like to make a pure PVM zealot.

The only guide I can find is the frostzealot, which really isn't my cup o' tea. So I haven't seen any regular ol' 1.09 style pure zealots. So this is my pathetic attempt at looking for help / suggestions...

Items:
    Helm: 2 o/s, 23res, 14dr COA (vamp while leveling)
    Armor: COH (shaft while leveling)
    Weapon: ???
    Shield: Up'd HOZ (won't up til I hit level req)
    Belt: T-God's
    Boots: Gore Riders
    Gloves: Dracul's (life tap)
    Rings: Raven Frost + Dual Leech
    Amulet: Highlords

Skills:
    20 Sacrifice
    20 Zeal
    1 Holy Shield (and all pre-reqs = 1)
    20 Fanatacism (and all pre-reqs = 1)
    1 Redemption (and all pre-reqs = 1)
    1 Salvation

This gets me to clvl 63 (74 skill points spent), which is easily attainable. I usually aim for 80-85 lvl max. So after the above, I'm not sure if I should max Holy Shield, or pump up blessed aim for the inheret AR bonus, or even split the two.

So now my questions:
    1. What weapon to use? I have a headstriker. Which gives 1.5% per clvl in deadly strike, +15str, pmh, +max dmg per clvl, and 150%ed. This is upgradeable, so would it be good? I mean, if I use highlords / gores, i could get a decent amount of ds as well. I have access to plenty of weapons, and figured this may be 'original', but would it be effective? I can get / have a unique 'zerker axe and/or afford most any item to boot. (p.s. I know botd would be best, but out of my price range atm)

2. What merc? I was thinking of holy freeze merc. Comments?

3. Sockets? COA / HOZ / COH my resists should be fine, so what the hell do I put in my HOZ / COA? I never thought pal's needed FHR or FBR, leech with life tap and dual leech should be good.

Oh well, thanks for your help in advance.

g

2. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Uping Zak won't do that much...lem + ko can be much better spent

Unless you are using T-gods for it's +str, verdungo's would be much better

Death's Cleaver, Stormlash, Uped Eth Headstriker, Eth Razor's Edge can all be used as a upper middle class Zealot weapon, among many other things...

Holy Freeze, Might and Defiance...I maxed Holy Shield so defense is takne care of so defiance is out, get a decent ar and the extra damage matters less, but Holy Freeze will be helpful from the den to the Worldstone...

If resists arn't maxed, Diamond the zak...FBR with HS is 2 frames at 12 (IIRC) and 1 frame at 80...with HoZ you hit the first one, so forget FBR...extra life is good (rubies) ed jewels, sheal (FHR can't hurt) or IAS jewels if you don't hit 4frames http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

and your not fluffy any more?

3. gvandale

still fluffy.

what would be ideal weapon (other then botd)

4. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

Stormlash for Static and good speed//dmg

Crescent Moon Conquest Sword (There is a review in Wyrmers Telsadin guide, page 2)

Schaefers is a classic, but slow

Uped Herald is stupid... my friend got 12 more def... woo hoo?

Sockets: Get max res first, then go for dmg mods//life mods.

I don't really see the point in Death Clever.. when eth zodded its not a bad weap, but its just silly. I would prob prefer a nice solid Crescent Moon Zerker... I may go buy one here soon for my zealot just to see if it is Viable.

~Kbob

5. memememe173

Doom Zerker or Stormlash, but with the price difference Stormlash pulls way into the lead

6. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Why does upgrading HOZ only add 12 def?

Anywho, do not use death cleaver. You will spend more time in town repairing it than using it. 2-3 repairs per baal run, and the same for a pit run. Stormlash is better, and is about the same price.

7. memememe173

Because a Gilded Shields defense range ends at 168...and a Zakarum Shield starts at 169

8. gvandale

looks like stormlash it is, and/or a crescent moon zerker.

hmmm....

i started him tonight, and he is raping already. Full sigon's and civerb's cudgel (best low level melee weapon ihmo). He is level 14 already. Rocking and rolling. Solo'd norm a1 thru a2. I am whooping so much butt that I kept moving forward. Normally, most char's aren't mid way through a3 at level 14. HEE-HEE this is gonna be fun!

fluffy g
    :yep:

9. Xanadu

Xanadu IncGamers Member

Right now im in act 4 hell with my pure zealot. I use glimmershred, which i believe to be the best zealot weapon. It has massive elemental damage plus very good phys. damage. PIs are no trouble. My skills are as follows.

20 Zeal
    20 Sacrifice
    20 Holy Shield (this is a MUST for hell)
    20 Fanat.
    20 Defiance (not finished here yet)
    Plus all pre-reqs.

This setup WILL beat the game on hell solo. Good luck.

10. ian_linington

ian_linington IncGamers Member

if you don't mind me asking... what sort of damage are you doing with the cudgel? Just wanna know cos for twinkleing I use angelic, sigons and deaths sets. Just want to see if I can improve on it. I swap weapons at lvl 24 to "Holy Thunder" in a War Scepter (lower str req)

Cheers

Ian L.

11. gvandale

I will check when I get home. All I know is that at level 14 with sigon's set, angelic ring / ammy + magic crap ring, I have been 1-2 hit killing my way through a1 - a2. I took out radament without taking 1 bit of dmg from him or his crew (was larger then normal to boot!).

If you can do the calculations, I did str up to equip sigon's, so the total after equip is 75, then I have dex right now at about enough to get me 65% block, rest vit.

clvl14

i can/will post numbers later.

g

12. gvandale

25-200 @ clvl 15

13. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Whats with all the 1.10 items. I know he is rich but everyone has missed out THE pvm zealot weapon: Baranar's Star.

They're cheap, and they roxxors my boxxors.

I guess Bstar and Glimmershred are similar but Glimmershred does have the advantage that it can be thrown, meaning you can take out them nasty IM casters at a distance.

Don't under estimate elemental dmg.

(personally, the first time in beat 1.10 solo with my zealot I used Sazabi sword. It holds a special place in my heart. The extra dmg to demons really helps a lot if you're poor but it doesn't look that way so scrap this idea.)

14. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

Conquest is just for show/visuals (cool wep) except Headstriker that is real nice.
    Don´t make CMoon on Conquest. (range 1), range is very important on Zealots. Make it on a Mythical all the way.
    Making any runeword but BOTD or Eternity on a axe for a zealot = going to town to repair 3 times per area and not having money to repair many times

15. gvandale

mucho appreciado!

i'm whoopin assss

16. pesto81

pesto81 IncGamers Member

wow never thought of glimmershred as a melee weapon. I ended up buildin a throwing barb just for that and a demon's arch i found. I may have to reconsider lettin him use that now.

17. [D]Rui[D]

[D]Rui[D] IncGamers Member

azurewrath is nice, lightsaber or cresent moon in cryptic sword/mythical sword.

of course you can get a good high %ED normal rare weapon then upgrade it all the way to elite.
    i used a upgraded rune sword, now awaiting the required runes to further upgrade it to elite.

+393%ED
    +20IAS
    +152 attack rating
    +23-39 fire damage
    +1-13 cold damage
    +6% life leech

had another normal sabre which i'm in a dilerma of wanting to upgrading it or not.

+411%ED
    +40IAS
    +160 attack rating
    +6 str
    +1 combat skill

a cold merc would be nice as usual for obvious reason.
    slow down everything while you unleash your fury onto them.

socketing? IMHO i suggested a good rare jewel with ED with some stats or resist. more damage means more life leech, which is always welcome:D

18. gvandale

well i got a stormlash last night. so i'll wait to level and use that. if i dont like it i may just got with botd.

i'm sure lash will work perfectly.

g

19. Fuzzcheek1

Fuzzcheek1 IncGamers Member

Just a little FYI... I use pretty much the exact same set up as you. (with GA and verdungo's) The skills and the rest of the gear look pretty much the same. I have tried lots of weapons on my pally, and I personally think that stormlash is the best for pvm. And I'm not even kidding, my stormlash is 240% (the worst possible). You will have zero problems whooping up with this pally.

20. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

pats his newly aquired doom zerker...im willing to shell out 10-20k gold per run to keep this baby smacking things in the head