Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM WWsin - base weapon/2nd claw questions

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Starlight_Wizard, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Starlight_Wizard

Starlight_Wizard IncGamers Member

PvM WWsin - base weapon/2nd claw questions

Hey asn experts :)

I've decided to make a WW-sin intended for PvM play (single player, twinked) and I was wondering what was the best claw to make it in. I have a plain Feral Claws, a +3 WoI +3 LS Runic Talons, and a Swwayyah with +2 LS, +2 CS and some random other (rather useless) staffmod. Note that I don't intend to get into hardcore PvP with this character so all I care about is hitting the last WW bp and maybe getting an useful skill or two from the claw, nothing else. I will probably max DS and LS but I will lay the traps with my weapon switch, so big bonuses to traps aren't needed as well. My gut tells me to make it in my plain Feral Claws because it looks cool and it won't have increased repair costs thanks to no staffmods, but runic talons are faster and I wouldn't mind having a useful staffmod or two.

Also what would be the best claw to keep as claw #2? I have a fool's scissors katar of quickness to get me AR and speed but the damage is gonna kill my WW, right? Also available are Bartuc's, Shadow Killer and Jade Talon. I don't have the runes for Fury and Jahs don't exactly grow in trees in sp (and I would make Faith if I had one, not Fury), so that's not an option.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. GlaSSJelly

GlaSSJelly IncGamers Member

Re: PvM WWsin - base weapon/2nd claw questions

Do you plan to be pure ww?.. cuz by the look of it u have lightning sentry claws when they serve no purpose :/

Probably go with bartucs, seeing they have alot of goodies for you.

3. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Make it in the Feral Claws, or trade for Runics. I have a Fools Greater Talon of Quickness I can give you if you want - only 1os though. It was a giveaway from Jae.
    That claw will get you fastest trap laying speed with the Feral Chaos too.

Bartuc's could be good PvM though, if you can get the AR elsewhere.

See, we could have done the whole thing in the SPF :grin:

4. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

Sorry for hijacking, but your post made me start thinking:
    What claw combos would you be 'allowed' to mix to reach max. ww and trap laying speeds?
    Ie. What is the slowest claw you can use if you hace chaos in a runic? Or what claw is the slowest you can make your chaos in if you have a fools runic sitting somewhere?
    I'm also not really getting how to calculate the speeds for dual claw'ers (if I did I wouldn't have to make this post :tongue:), on-hand wsm, off-hand wsm etc, does traplaying use the average wsm, or just the on-hand? WW is calculating them completely different, so both claws need the proper wsm, right?
    And iirc you can wsm bug somehow, making only your on-hand claw count, but that seems tiresome if you want to re-buff on your switch etc.
    iirc you dont need a very fast weapon for fastest ww, like -14 wsm or something, but for traps it's quite alot if you want the fastest bp, so you'd want 2 fast claws right?
    This whole question blump is because I too, want to make a ww-sin some day, and I though it'd be better to start looking for suitable claws as soon as possible, since they are kinda rare, so I was just thinking of what claws are even worth picking up to look at.

Sorry for hijack star.
    On topic: I suggest to make it in a claw with mods, rather than not. The boosts are nice and you will regret it if you ever want to pvp with her :grin:
    All I'm saying is that with such a high rune, I'd pick the best base I could get. I don't think repair costs will be toooo much of a problem, since you are not going to get rushed trough and then play trough the last bits of hell as fast as you can, you will likely pick up large gold piles, some excep./elite stuff and sell them etc. Iirc maxi told me the repair costs weren't all that bad, it didnt make it impossible.

As for weapon, fools give a nice boost to ar, but I'm not sure how important they are in pvm, since you could probably get ar elsewhere. Bartuc's comes with very nice mods, for example. I've always though of jade as an off-hand defensive claw, and shadow killer I never even considered to use... Maybe if you put jade on your off hand and chaos onhand, but thwen againbartucs or a fools may serve you better :tongue:
    /shut mouth

5. maxicek

A brief explanation:
    Mainly people want a fast claw combination because PvP assassins leave little room to get the IAS elsewhere, by the time you have hit the FHR, FCR, resist etc breakpoints too.

Trap speed is the breakpoint to watch:
    Runic Talon + Feral Claw + 55IAS hits 9FPA Trap Speed.
    -30 WSM + -20 WSM = -25 Average, 52IAS with Level 0 BoS (ie Fade active)

Runic Talon + Runic Talon + 45IAS hits 9FPA Trap Speed.
    -30 WSM + -30 WSM = -30 Average, 42IAS with Level 0 BoS (ie Fade active)

You can do the first example with a Fools Runic Talons of Quickness and an IAS Jewel in your helm., the second with Fools Runic Talons of Swiftness and an IAS Jewel in your helm. Ums go in the claw slots.

I won't start on weapon speed bugging - that is covered in Tienje's guide, and with examples for SP in my claw guide.

For SP, I would go Runic Talon Chaos. It allows you to weapon speed bug with Jade talon and gives more flexibility finding a Fools claw - difficult in SP compared to BNet.

6. Starlight_Wizard

Starlight_Wizard IncGamers Member

@maxicek: Traps are laid using the weapon switch with Chaos, then? If yes, I guess making Chaos in my +3 WoI +3 LS Runic Talons would be nice? The bonus to WoI is largely useless, but +3 to LS is nice.

No matter how I look at it, my fool's scissors katar of quickness is useless then, right? I would love to get your fool's gt of quicknes (1os) :smiley:

From your examples, I can make Chaos in Feral Claws/Runic Talons (any of them) and still hit both top speed bps with that fool's greater talons of quickness and a 15% ias jewel in my helm, right? Would you consider staffmods too important, or making Chaos in a plain claw is still useful, even for pvp?

Thanks for your answers, hopefully you can answer these last few questions and I'll get right to the makings of the claw :grin:

(I hope I don't have to run pits/cows for claws, though, but if I have to it's no biggie. I'm actually kinda bored with my other D2 activities so I don't mind mindlessly looking for those claws)

@zarfen: It's ok to hijack, don't worry man :wink3:

7. maxicek

Correct. In PvP you will lay with your main equipment, for speed. For PvM you can lay with a switch, if it gives more +skills.

Staffmods are important, expecially for PvP. In PvP you are likely to have a +3 base skills on switch (CtA and Spirit), so pre-buffable skills are not a priority for me. They are too difficult to find in SP.

LS is very nice for a Hybrid Trap/WW (See Happy_Assassin's guide), or a a skill saver for a ghost. I have Dragon Flight and Mind Blast on mine which save me points.

Pretty much. The of Quickness just makes up for the slow claw type.
    e-mail address by PM?