Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM wolf build

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Waldodanto, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Waldodanto

Waldodanto Banned

PvM wolf build

Before I get yelled at for checking the guides, I did, and the links to the pvm wolves dont work.

Okay now back to the thread. So I want to build a Druid, since Ive never done it before and a recently found perfect jalals inspired me.

From a quick glance at the skill tree, my years of diablo experience tell me that a pretty standard build would go something like this:
    20 wolf
    20 fury
    20 spirit of oaks/wolverine (probably oak)
    20 lycan
    rest in rabies and bear?
    few questions:
    Is it worth maxing lycan? Should i be getting a bear? Is it worth maxing spirit, or should some of those points be going into bear?
    How do I deal with phys immunes?

Here are a few of the interesting things I have thought up in considering this build:
    How to solve the problem of a tank if I dont want to use bear:
    1. Have a sick *** merc. This seems pretty easy... Im thinking maybe an a5 merc with eth fort, eth andys, eth last wish cs.
    2. Use a metalgrid... This gives me some huge defense, and I can cast the iron golem charges which are level 22... will that even survive?
    3. Use a harmoy hydra bow... hold on, stay with me a sec. 5 to valk on the harmony and charges of level 22 revive, obviously when I am in wolf form I can use a bow with fury, and harmoy has huge elemental damage. Vigor is cute too. A couple big downsides to that in the lack of IAS and lack or shield.... but 1000 points for a druid with a valk and revives.

Any input on build/gaining a tank would be appreciated.

2. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

Welcome to the wild, wild World of Wolves!

Hm.... Well for PvM the build is pretty forgiving. I went with maxxed Fury, Lycanthropy, Oak, werewolf 10 / Feral Rage 10, and rest points into bear. One point wonders were ravens, carrion vine, cyclone armor (& prereqs) and whatever other things you like. The reason here was that I and the barb were the resident fighters (I party with a barb, two sorcs and a necro). We were supposed to hold the line and buy time for the spell casters to launch their spells. So I went with a 1 hander and SS Vita/Summoner build. Pretty hardy build, but not the fastest killer. On switch was my 2hander when I need to increase my damage output. Between a high level BO and maxxed Oak, even the spell casters had massive hit points. :)
    I happen to like Act 1 Mercs so she's got a faith bow and bramble armor. The other party members have Act 2 mercs (holy freeze, might, etc. etc.).
    You seem determined not to use the bear so you could put the points into werewolf although attack rating isn't as much as a problem in PvM compared to PvP.

To answer questions:
    1. Max lycanthropy (werewolf is less important)
    2. I'd get a bear, heck isn't that one of the benefits of being a druid? They can do pretty good damage and stun and knockback. Simply cast it wherever you want or on your party mate who's getting pounded and needs relief.
    3. I like max Oak, but that's your call. A vita build greatly benefits from OS
    4. Physical Immunes: lots of options here: B-star, Glimmershreds, Lacerator Axe, Tomb Reaver, any weapon with lots of elemental damage, your merc's weapon that's got lots of elemental damage. The possiblities here are quite a few.
    5. The harmony bow thing is interesting. Big drawbacks are lack of IAS, range is less than many weapons (range 1 with bow if I recall correctly), no shield is also a drawback. You'll have to get resists from other sources. However, I am intrigued by the elemental damage and the possiblities of Revive (might get expensive over time tho') and the valk. Hm... maybe I should build a harmony bow and try it out. Definately would be fun to run around with a vigor and feral rage on. Talk about a fast wolf! You'd just be painfully slow when actually attacking. Maybe put it on switch and use it to run around then switch to a fast heavy weapon when actually engaging the heavy enemy. While you have the harmony bow active, you can play a 'summoner'. Summon ravens and bear/wolves with the revives and valk and sit back and shoot your enemy with your bow (wait... that's the ranger/summoner build... doh!).

Hmm.... upon reflection, maybe you'd be better off with the ranger / summoner build. Or you could just play a necromancer :) My next favorite character to play after my werewolf.

interesting idea tho. I'll have to try it and post my experiences. I'll go and trade for a KO rune and I think I've got a four socket bow somewhere on one of my mules. Or somewhere. Or did I already have a KO on the rune mule? Hm...

Good luck and Good hunting!
    Kirah

3. Waldodanto

Waldodanto Banned

Thanks alot for the heads up on not maxing wolf... Should have realized that made sense.
    Ya part of my wants to throw on a grief pb and a storm and just fury stuff. But the "diablo is a fun game" part of me (the one most people on bnet dont seem to have anymore) wants to make a harmony build! I will start thinking about it... I would probably need a Kiras for the resists, maybe even socketed with an IAS jewel to help make up for the lack of ias on the bow.
    Probably going to need that metalgrid to make up for some defense loss on the shield, which sort of pushes the build further towards the side of summoning because now I have iron golem.
    Anybody interested in helping think of some cool ideas for this build? Luckily if it isnt viable, its still probably about the same physical build as a plain fury wolf.

4. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

why is every1 so obsessed with wolves on this forum... what about trying something slightly different?

5. Barnical

Barnical IncGamers Member

No. Like what? We only have so much to work with, wind/fire/fury/rabies/summoner/maul/fireclaws. Alls been done and the wolf r the victor. Awrooo.

6. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Forgot Shockwave and Hunger, the two best skills in the entire Shapeshifting tree.:laugh:

7. Waldodanto

Waldodanto Banned

Forgive me for my lack of creativity in my attempt to make a harmony based, zon summoning, reviving wolf druid...
    Did you even read my post or did you just decide I am a boring loser for not jumping outside the box? You didn't even suggest anything unique, so thank you for adding nothing to my topic.

8. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

Waldodanto, welcome to the druid forum. I had a werewolf pvm guide writen just never stickyed. Ill give you the jest of it.

max werewolf
    max lycn
    max fury
    max oak
    max hunger

Items
    greif phase
    stormsheild
    treachery armor
    dracs gloves
    jalals
    aulders or ik boots
    2 ravenfrost rings
    Atma's Scarab amulet
    mav's belt

merc
    rouge
    bow harmony
    coh/fort
    vamp

The ideal to this build is to use fury for phy immues, and for non phy immues. Thats what the amp is for. You also have a high amount of resist all, duel leech, high amounts of runwalk, Good amounts of damage, and hunger+greif phase blades are immue to iron maiden.

You like pvm, you like to think out side the box, and you wanted to know a good tank ideal. There you have it. If you use charms for this cheap build tends to use what every one else uses.---> You can start off with getting it a anni and a hellfire. Then work on getting plus to life charms. You shouldnt need anything else.>< Because the way it fights is set around not dieing, (hardcore). You use hunger in areas where you might be ironed, and you use fury in places where you wont. This build needs no tank. For this build is the tank.

9. Waldodanto

Waldodanto Banned

Thanks a ton, very interesting idea. Never really considered the atma's and treachery, I will definitely take a look. Treachery seems like a bit of a waste though... Is it just for the IAS and FHR or am I missing a secret about wanting to cast venom on striking?

10. Barnical

Barnical IncGamers Member

Treachery will give you fade upon being attacked, and once you see that your faded, switch to your main armor. The fade gives good resists and DR, thats why he suggested it.

11. Waldodanto

Waldodanto Banned

wouldnt a chains of honor give me good resists and some DR without needing to carry two armors in my stash?

12. bogie

bogie IncGamers Member

Well.... CoH is always a great armor, but many feel that the 300% ed given by fort is better.

13. Waldodanto

Waldodanto Banned

Oh make no mistake, I am definitely of the opinion that fort is better than CoH for a melee character, I was suggesting CoH in response to the suggestion that treachery would be good for its chance to cast fade, which seems like a silly idea.
    For fade to cast you need to get hit, which you then hope fade will stop you from being hit. Instead, why not just lower your chance to be hit and improve your resists with a high defense fort or a CoH?