PvM without high end gear : Summon or Psn or Bone?

PheonixLeader

Diabloii.Net Member
PvM without high end gear : Summon or Psn or Bone?

Hi,

I'm about to start an untwinked game with 7x of my friends and i don't know which necro to use between psn (nova + CE), summoner (mostly skellies, but some mage and revive) or boner (bone spear/bone spirit). My first idea was to go with a summoner, but as we going to use only the gear we'll find, I don't know if my minions will be enough strong (have in mind that nec will be use mostly for tank and keep the monsters away from the far caster player : sorc, zon, nec).

Also, i'm sure that summoner will be good with a barb (shout+Bo) and some pally with auras (defiance, thorn, fana.), but without those (atm, a cold sorc, fury druid, lite sorc have signed in), I don't know if its still a good choice.

Any tips will be greatly welcome.

Thx

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi,

I'm about to start an untwinked game with 7x of my friends and i don't know which necro to use between psn (nova + CE), summoner (mostly skellies, but some mage and revive) or boner (bone spear/bone spirit). My first idea was to go with a summoner, but as we going to use only the gear we'll find, I don't know if my minions will be enough strong (have in mind that nec will be use mostly for tank and keep the monsters away from the far caster player : sorc, zon, nec).

Also, i'm sure that summoner will be good with a barb (shout+Bo) and some pally with auras (defiance, thorn, fana.), but without those (atm, a cold sorc, fury druid, lite sorc have signed in), I don't know if its still a good choice.

Any tips will be greatly welcome.

Thx
I would definitely go Summoner. I think that Skeleton life scales with players (so in players 8 games, even no-twink skellies become nearly immortal). Maybe it's my imagination, but skeletons seem to survive much better in higher player count games, despite the fact that monster damage increases with the player count.

Of the rest, Bonemancer would be the next best choice. He'll deal more damage per second than the Poisonmancer, and you can still use a slvl 1 Poison Nova to tag monsters with poison and keep them from regenerating. Normally, I recommend bonemancing solo so that you can take full advantage of Bone Prison and Bone Wall without walling your friends off (which tends to make them mad), but if you have enough tank-characters playing with you, you can skip the wall or prison and just spam bone spells.

DrSoup

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm always a proponent of pure summoner. Easily the most fun class I have played. Except with the cold sorc. It's just so frustrating when the corpses all shatter and melt and you can't do anything to build up your army. The other drawback is all the "No summunz n00b!!!1" whiners, but if you really do only play with friends then that shouldn't be a problem.

Pooshy

Diabloii.Net Member
Ya, a Skelliemancer is the best to choose I think. Even untwinked you will find enough gear for him to be a decent tank. ESPECIALLY with auras and warcries

PheonixLeader

Diabloii.Net Member
After some thinking, i'll go with a magemancer : LR for my minions and all our caster chars (trap sin, lite+cold sorc). Late in the game, i think that will do a huge diff.

Thx for all.

Darksteel

Diabloii.Net Member
Magemancers are really fun. If I could I would recommend trying to get Trang's set (probably could even untwinked, just trade pgems and runes from forge/countess for the pieces) for even more fun. You could launch your own (albiet weak) fire spells in combination with your mages and lower resist.

I also maxed fire golem and an act3 merc weilding spirit sword/shield, shako, and coh as well for some addition elemental damage. Overall extremly fun. I probably couldn't solo 8 player baal, but I'll be damned if this wasn't one of the funnest chars I've made.

PheonixLeader

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, that will probly be really fun. But the type of untwinked game we'll play is : 8xplayers (always same dude together) in private game that go from act 1 norm to act 5 hell without trade with anybody else than us (8x). Trang will probly be hard to get.

bogie

Diabloii.Net Member
I think that Skeleton life scales with players (so in players 8 games, even no-twink skellies become nearly immortal).

Hmmm im sure that this was fixed in the 1.11 patch, ill have to go look it up.

Anyway, why not try a Poison/Summon Hybrid? That way you can still deal out some damage, and have the safety of minions. The build would look something like this....

20 Raise Skeleton'
20 Skeleton Mastery
1 Golem Mastery
3 Golems
1 Mages (grab one or two for bosses)
1 Revives (grab an urdar or two for bosses)
7 Curses (ignore the right side)
1 Teeth
1 Bone Armor
1 Corpse Explosion
5 Poison Dagger
20 Poison Explosion
20 Poison Nova

Your skeles should be huge tanks and you should also be able to help them out with novas. If you have enough +skills, you could even start up a small brigade of mages :laugh: .

Bogie,

cade88

Diabloii.Net Member
you should go with a poison mancer and maxed lr the build would look something like this

20 poison dagger
20 poison explosion
20 poison nova
1 in all curses and 20 in lower resist
or go summoner hybrid
1 skeleton mastery
and 20 in raise skeleton
either 1 of those will be very party friendly