Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM Throwing Barb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Element, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Element

Element Banned

PvM Throwing Barb

Just wondering on what the thought for this were. Is it any good? How effective of a tanker/killer is it? How well can it play in PvM? Stuff like that.

2. atigdng

atigdng Diabloii.Net Member

Fun to play? yes. Difficult? medium. With dual lacentors (sp?) and 2 gimmershreds on swich is the normal setup I believe.

It depends on the gear you have but they can also tank kind of well. Better than any other ranged char. And they have more life to. But the damage won't get to be more than 2-3k (correct me if I am wrong)
    They can throw those things awfully fast. It is good to use howl/grim ward with this guy.

3. DeathMaster

DeathMaster Diabloii.Net Member

I have one, and I agree the most.

Fun to play - Yes.

Difficult - a little hard to start, but getting much easier once level up a bit. overview, medium or easy-medium depending on gears

Damage - it can go over 3K (sort of easy, depending on gears), as long as you have good weapon. killing speed is pretty good.

Weapon - 2x gimmershred on switch (vs PI and as backup weapon), 2x nice damage weapon as main weapon (one lacentor is good enough).

Tank - he can tank very well, a lot better than other ranged and better than many melee (eg pally)

Crowd controll - pretty good, smart using war cry skills, he is very safe

grim ward - waste of point IMO, it doesn't work where you need it most (can't make grim ward off undead)

My opinion - for PvM, use this, you will be unstoppable. It is too powerful, that it is banned in PvP.

Cleglaw's Pincers
    Chain Gloves
    Durability: 16 of 16
    Required Strength: 25
    Required Level: 4
    Knockback
    Slows Target by 25%

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian Diabloii.Net Member

Claglaw Pooncers are definitely the way to go. Hlap hloop!

Don't forget the blood axe recipe, either; you can get some tasty mods if you're lucky.

I like using Frenzy to get me up to Ludicrous Speed before I fire off a bunch of axes. Beautiful stuff. Not a fast-killing character, but a lot of fun to play.

5. MFMOFO

MFMOFO Banned

100% agreed, I have one too. Hardcore. Very fun to play ;]

6. whomhead

whomhead Diabloii.Net Member

They're great fun in PvM. They wont do solo players 8 Baal runs - well, not very effectively anyway, but with some decent gear you can get over 4k max damage. Probably even 5k. One really nice thing is that using Double Throw, only your main hand weapon speed matters. So, put a really fast weapon in that hand (I reccomend Warshrike) and really high damage one in the other hand (crafted Blood Axes can get up to 510% ED!) and you'll crank out the damage FAST!

7. roccorocks

roccorocks Diabloii.Net Member

Well said guys. I love my thrower. I have dual lacerators, gimmers, and eth Balrogs. The Balrogs own by far, 5k - 8k dmg. Godly when using frenzy. Even more godly in BAAL runs with concentration aura (14k - 20k dgm each!). Only problem I have ran into, is the fact that there is no -def or ingnore target def. So sometimes against those high lvl barbs or pallys in PVP, with high def, not much dmg. I can say, I have killed a druid in one hit! Well, enough bragging, i love my thrower!

LC_XNEWB

8. druidkid9

druidkid9 Diabloii.Net Member

hey guys had abit of a break but i remember i thread i made "share your Chara" if you go into my profile and locate it there is a person who has alot,alot of screenies and his thrower barb does 10k look at it!!!!.

9. lCE

lCE Diabloii.Net Member

1st.The display is bugged, throw barbs do a lot less than the char screen shows.
    2nd. They are fun to play yes, but the trips to repair (every 2 min) will drive u insane. A semi solution to this is to have 2 switches with axes/knives (dont use javs in pvm- ridiculously small stack sizes), even though this makes u tp to town every 4 mins instead of 2 :lol: .

10. DeathMaster

Solution to this problem: Replenishes Quantity!!!

You can make 6mins instead of 4. :D

And if you have to make a town visit very 2mins, you may never defeat ancients solo. ;)

11. sunbearie

sunbearie Diabloii.Net Member

Not if you're playing at P1 and doing 2-4K damage :)

On the point of javs vs axes/knifes, the main thing for javs are their greater range which is a lot more effective with pierce.

Razortail is the item there for you.

I don't see how 1 pt in grim ward is wasted. It already lasts 40s at lvl 1

For an example of blood axes, I managed to craft this after countless attempts. Don't hold your breath for a 510%ED axe.

Havoc Cleaver
    Winged Axe
    Throw Damage: 28 to 243
    One-Hand Damage: 44 to 226
    Quantity: 168
    Required Dexterity: 122
    Required Strength: 96
    Required Level: 70
    Axe Class - Fastest Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 91
    Fingerprint: 0xb13397d9
    +13 to Life
    +305% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 11-33 cold damage over 2 seconds
    +50 poison damage over 5 seconds
    4% Life stolen per hit
    40% Increased Attack Speed

12. DeathMaster

It is not how long it will last. it can last 10 hours, but that doesn't make it any better or worse.

As I pointed out before, it is kind of waste because you cannot make ward out of undead. after you enter NM/Hell, the only time you really need the ward is - facing undead! Instead, you use howl for crowd controll any way. But if I knew I won't have any use of GW, why I'd spend one hard point there? I have better use of that one point (eg. Shout).