Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM summoner best gear question.

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by neogenesys, Sep 28, 2010.

1. neogenesys

neogenesys Diabloii.Net Member

PvM summoner best gear question.

Hi,

I have been playing a basic summoner on non-ladder battle.net (europe) for a while.
    And i think that some items i use are not the best possible items for this build.

There are 3 parts of my equipment which i think could get higher +skele / + skele masteries skils:

-weapon, is the King Leorics staff the best possible? and what would be the best possible mods for a necro weapon?

-head, i currently have a random +2 skill head, but i assume that a magic +3 summon circlet would give the highest +skills here.

-shield (shrunken head), this is the real question, what would give a better boost in skills for summoning then the standard +3 skill shield described in all guids.

It seems to me that a magic shield with +3 skele and +3 skele masteries and +3 summon skills should be possible. Is this shield possible, and if yes would some one have any clue on where to find it? and if it can be traded for, since thus far i have not seen any.

also are there other options ? which give more then the standard +3 skill shields.

This i found in some other thread
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700450
    if i read this correctly then u take some gold (or yellow?) shrunken head and cube it with 6 perfect skulls and one then has a chance to get +3 skele, +3 skele masteries and +2 summon skills as max. Thus a +5 summon skill max.

Regards
    NeoGenesys

2. nurman

nurman Diabloii.Net Member

Re: PvM summoner best gear question.

The general answer is
    1:Heart Of The Oak (HOTO) is the best caster weapon there is.
    2:Harlequin's crest is the basic choice.
    3:Homunculus is your best bet here. Go max block with this baby and you are invincible.

3. neogenesys

neogenesys Diabloii.Net Member

hi,

thx for the reply.

Well i have all these items, but if i want to get stronger summons then i will need more +skill to skele / sm.
    Currently i use the King Leorics staff in combi with boneflame on switch and on the other switch i got hoto + homuncules. After casting the skele's i replace the staf with a cta to get bo.

But still i would to get more damage out of my skele's and thus i need more +skill, which i can only get with a diff shield and head.

Regards
    PyroMathic

4. arbing

arbing Diabloii.Net Member

if you simply look for damage output for your skele (not planning to use corpse explosion etc.), use beast for it's aura (faster attack speed and the %ed from aura generate higher damage output per second for your skele). IIRC the +3 to raise skele and skele mastery is not possible on a +3 summon head (due to the skill level of both skills are too low).
    If you want really high damage skeles, hire an act2 nm offensive merc with the runeword infinity and summon an iron golem out of the runeword pride.

5. Meanstreak

Meanstreak Diabloii.Net Member

-_-

It's a summoner. You don't need stronger summons.

Not to sound all cookie cutter, but when you are talking about the strongest skill in the game, you simply use it: corpse explosion.

This is where your kill speed should come from. All you need is a single monster to fall and you should be fine.

(The following advice assumes you are playing the new ladder and thus having trouble progressing with bad gear and trade markets) Rather than get an expensive beast that ruins your weapon slot and does you no good, pay up an Um rune in a big three-socketted spear/polearm and make a Crescent Moon. Then get a Blessed Aim merc.

This will allow your merc to always hit, and to do so with a speedy stick that casts Static Field. Now you have area-of-effect Crushing Blow, with a merc that virtually makes he and your summons always hit (which is probably your problem in the first place regarding damage output, skeletons have crap to-hit amounts) and then you get massive AoE fire + physical damage once the first corpse goes.

If all else still fails, bring out some mages.

6. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Diabloii.Net Member

A Splendor runeword in a +3RS/+3SM head is the cheapest good "shield" you can get, and beats a +2 Summoning rare.

HoTO vs. King Leoric and Shako vs. +3 Summoning circlet are both choices between more defensive and more offensive setups. HoTO and Shako are good for resists, mana and life, KL and the circlet have a slight edge if you're obsessively focused on +skills.

High-level skeletons supported by Amp and CE are generally more than powerful enough for the job, though, and an extra +skill here or there doesn't really make or break the build.

If you want THE BIGGEST damage output, hire an Act II Offensive merc (Might aura). give him a Pride polearm (Concentration aura) and summon an Iron Golem out of a Beast weapon (Fanaticism aura). Keep in mind, however, that the Iron Golem may be killed or may even spontaneously disappear for no apparent reason.

The Iron Golem can generally be a great addition to your army. Even using relatively cheap items can work wonders. You can make an Insight golem and he will replenish your mana pool very fast.

7. arbing

arbing Diabloii.Net Member

I would recommand letting the merc use infinity, the -def will make your skele almost ALWAYS hit, which yields a better damage output. (where as you hold a beast)

btw. YES i know Corpse explosion kills alot faster, but it's boring and sometimes you just want your summons to kill rather than yourself (which imo is the point of making a summoner for fun).

And Beast is better (in terms of skeles' damage output) than other wands, hoto etc. thanks to its aura that increases the attack speed (the ar is just gravy) of your skeles. From 18 frames to 14 frames.

So in terms of the highest damage output, use Beast on yourself, infinity (makes the monster's def so low that it's like an autohit everytime, not to mention your mage's damage) on your might merc, and make a pride iron golem

Here is the stat by using a Necro Pet calculator of my summoner:
    Raise Skeleton- 45
    Skeleton Mastery- 47

17 skeles in total

w/ level 23 might (from Merc and his +2 skill helm), 20 conc and 9fanat aura the Average DPS is 32246.9

Where as by using a AoKL:
    Raise Skeleton- 50
    Skeleton Mastery- 52

w/ level 23 might (from Merc and his +2 skill helm), 20 conc aura the Average DPS is 32641.5

But keep in mind that the fanat aura also increases your skeles' ar, as well as your Merc's attack speed, ar and damage.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  8. ziambe

ziambe Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I gotta bring up the polearm debate...I assume weapon speed is a big factor when relying on static field procs so that makes the thresher a great candidate. But my merc has exactly 188 str and 147 dex so he could throw down with a giant thresher.

Would the Crescent moon Giant Thresher be a better idea?
    I also have a 3s CV and 3s CA, however, none of the above are Eth.

9. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez Diabloii.Net Member

prebuffing skellies is a waste of time and effort. chasing gear that gives a negligable extra boost to damage (beast weapons) at the cost of a weapon slot is simply bad, bad economics.

the merc, skellies and golem are only there to give you a corpse so you can whip out your Howitzer: Corpse Explosion.

here's my idea of the ideal pvm summoner gear

10. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

11. ehlertd

ehlertd Diabloii.Net Member

I have never found beast inefficient, although Hoto helps alot with teleing around and so on... baal is a toughie to kill and I would rather have my skellies hit quicker/slightly more to get him down faster... anyways to each their own.

12. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez Diabloii.Net Member

if you havn't already, try tagging Baal with Decrepify.:whistling:

13. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow Diabloii.Net Member

You don't kill Baal with skeletons, you kill him with CB.

14. zrk

zrk Diabloii.Net Member

try playing p8 in areas with a lto of fire immunes - chaos sanctuary