Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM Poisonmancer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by TheBigSwoop, Mar 28, 2004.

1. TheBigSwoop

TheBigSwoop IncGamers Member

PvM Poisonmancer

As a new member to the forum, I would first like to say that this forum site has been outstanding in its level of knowledge of D2 and the builds I have developed from the forums have always been solid (with the exception of the lightning trapsin, who just can't take it).

Anyway, I am currently trying to think of a solid poisonmancer build for PvM. Now, before anyway swamps me with messages along the lines of, "READ THE STICKIES YOU IGNORANT FOOL," [yes I am looking at you, gvendale, :) ] know that I have indeed searched the stickies and have not been able to find a poisonmancer build for PvM, only PvP.

Now, if a poisonmancer PvM build is not viable, please explain why. If it is viable, pointers would be most welcome. Finally, if there is a thread to such a guide, could someone point me to it (man would I feel just a little stupid if it was in the stickies and gvendale started to rant at me). Thanks a bunch guys.

2. phatskat

phatskat Banned

solely poison would be bad for pvm because the poison immunes would own u, unless you had a team. but a poison/bonespear or spirit would probably be good, but they couldnt be fully synergized.

3. Sephiroth OWA

Sephiroth OWA IncGamers Member

I have one, and I really dont recomend it, but you can try it out, maybe you have more luck than I (or you are smarter) :thumbsup:

... and not once, did the light in the basement go out...

4. TheBigSwoop

TheBigSwoop IncGamers Member

well, bummer

5. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forum. :)

I have used a successful Poisonmancer that combines poison, skellies and use of the dagger on bosses. I do use some good equipment but really that is not essential provided you don't expect to kill in games with 6 players in. A Poisonmancer with skellie support can complete the game using ordinary gear and have a lot of fun and a real sense of personal acheivement since doing it without the uber-gear is indeed something to be proud of.

There seem to be two basic approaches to the use of poison. One approach is a poison-skellie hybrid (which is what I know about) and here you'd have to decide whether you want to max RS and SM as some people say or whether you want to put more into the poison side. From my experience it is not essential to max skellies first (or even at all) as in Hell poison can kill non-immunes faster than the skellies. It is a compromise and there are not enough points to max poison, max skellies and still have a nice repetoire of curses and CE and maybe revives. Exactly which way you go here would depend on what equipment you have now and how you like to play (alone or in a party).

The other approach, and here I am not so sure it is as viable, is to avoid the use of minions and max all poison skills. Often a golem and merc are your only companions but bonewalls, boneprisons and curses are used to control the battlefield and allow time for poison to work. A major problem that needs to be solved in Hell is how to deal with poison immunes.

Good luck if you decide to try a poison necro, may your enemies turn green with envy ;)

6. champdog

champdog IncGamers Member

I currently have a PvM poison necro, and he can solo anything in the game, but he took some good gear to get there. I maxed all poison skills and synergies, 1 in all curses (attract is very helpful in the fourth wave of baal's minions), 1 in clay golem, mastery, and summon resist.

Instead of using skeles as a secondary, I decided to max bonespear, and the pts left over are going to bone wall (I'm lvl 93 and won't be able to finish maxing it). With marrowwalks, I am doin 2.5k dmg with spear which is more than enough to supply corpses for CE for any psn immune monster.

Like I said earlier though, the gear is important. I started the ladder out making a poison necro, and i though they sucked since I was only doing around 4k dmg, due to a lack of equipment, but now, I am doing 11k with around -140 enemy psn resists, which kills anything not poison immune very quickly. My advice: Don't make a pvm poison necro until you get the gear first.

7. Skips

Skips IncGamers Member

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

Hehe take that Mad Mantis

8. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Bah :grrr: , his 3 posts threw me of the scent. :spy:

9. Starcrunch

Starcrunch IncGamers Member

If you are building a venomancer you can deal with poison immune monsters by putting away the wand or dagger and getting out a big sword (bow or crossbow) and hitting them untill they stop twitching. The ignore target defence mod would be handy if you aren't a daggermancer (it is if you are one too). ActII can be quite difficult at times...

-Starcrunch