Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM Poisonmancer help request

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by smithaliscious, Jun 3, 2008.

1. smithaliscious

smithaliscious IncGamers Member

PvM Poisonmancer help request

Hi all,

I recently started playing D2 again, and I currently have a level 85 lightning sorc for MFing. I want to make a Poisonmancer, but as I was searching for guides, I could only find PvP poisonmancer guides (and one guide for an MF poisonmancer, but I don't need him to MF--the sorc does this more efficiently, I think).

Here is my current plan: max the 3 poison skills, 1 point in CE and single points in Lower Resist + prerequisities. I'm interested in hearing your opinions on how I should spend the rest of my points. The only exception is I don't want any skeletons (just my preference for this character). Clay/Blood/Iron golem? More points in curses? Bone wall/prison for crowd control? No equipment advice is needed.

Thanks! :jig:

2. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

Re: PvM Poisonmancer help request

I have made a few poisonmancers now and here is how I would spend the rest of those points.

1 point in revive (let +skills bring it up) will help with your boss killing/meat shield/light crowd control requirements.

Attract/confuse/DV (just 1 point in these) should cover your emergency/tough crowd control needs. I like max DV, but since you need LR for max killing speed and to break immunities, I wouldn't rely on it for this build.

Then I would max CE, this skill is just sick, and nice to have. Not all poison immunes are breakable, and the ones that are will still have positive poison resist after LR and -%psn resist. Enemies that have positive poison resist really, really, slow you down. A couple of CE's will clear the screen of these trouble makers.

Then I would either go 1pt bone armor and rest in synergies. Or if you want an insight golem put the remaining points in golem mastery. I have never had an issue with mana, so I would stick BA.

Since I don't use insight golems, I like clay golem, they are mana cheap for recasting, and are great at slowing bosses and mobs.

If you want a sick, incredibly overpowered necro, make a fishy. He is so good everywhere that I have almost retired all my other characters.

3. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

Here's a great skill layout that I've used recently:

60 Poison Skills
    20 Dim Vision
    rest in Lower Resist and prereqs
    (consider taking a Clay Golem with a point each in GM and SR, but a summonless necro is fine too)

It's an awesome setup: first you blind all monsters within a 15 yard radius; that's everything on screen and further. Next you poison them and watch them die. You use Lower Resist only on immunes. Monsters will be blinded for 20 seconds, even in Hell !

For gear you can check the PvP guides, but I particularly like the Trang set for this (unless you can afford Bramble), so it would be as follows:

- Trang set (complete)
    - DWeb or Blackbog's Sharp
    - Silk Weave / Treks / Marrow / any rare with FRW and resists
    - Maras
    - 2 x SOJ or rares with resists or Dwarf Star / Wisp Protector
    - 4+ P&B charms
    - Torch and Anni

4. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Numty, why is positive poison resistance so annoying? With dweb, 3-piece trangs and facets, broken immunes will have 5-20% poison resistance (depending on how good your deaths web is and how many sockets your circlet will have). That's not a big problem. I wouldn't suggest to max dim vision though. Lvl 1 is enough for me. I usually use lower resist for extra damage. 1 point in revives is always handy for killing bosses and whatnot. Clay golem should be the golem of choice. With +skills, and difficulty bonus it will have large amounts of hp, and it's slowing will be good too. Unless you get a mana golem, but they don't really benefit poisonmancers that much, especially since dweb grants 7-12 mana after each kill. The rest of the points can be put into poison explosion. That'll still leave you with a couple of skill point over anyway. I'd probably put them into clay golem or something.

5. NumtyDoo

Not everyone will have perfect gear, and 20-50% resistance will end up taking you 3-5 novas instead of one. So instead of 1.5 seconds per kill it could take up to 10 seconds (2 seconds per nova), that is a pretty drastic increase in killing time. CE takes care of poison immunes, and kills broken immunes faster than nova can.

Since he didn't want skellies, CE is a great way to go. Even after he maxes CE he will have a few points left over for further customization.

OP said he was already maxing poison explosion.

On my poisonmancer, the difference between 1pt Lower resist (66% after +skills), and 20pt lower resist (70% iirc after +skills) is only 4%, to me the 19 extra points would be better spent in CE.

I don't recomend DV for this build either, but I think Ed's maxed DV would make more sense than maxed LR, unless you were doing some PvP.

6. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

If you want speed, max CE and put a few in LR (for radius especially if you're stacking +P&N skills like you should be doing) after your poison nova is maxed with its synergies. You want to kill stuff with a few casts as possible, and having stuff come after you is generally not a problem since you only cast a PN every 2 seconds and thus have plenty of time to run around and avoid getting hit, especially if you have at least some minimal amount of FCR. Having LR bigger radius helps killing speed as generally poison nova covers a bigger area than LR occasionally requiring multiple LR casts which slows you down (and forces you to stand in place more often and thus get hit more often).

Again imo don't mess with the AI curses, you should never need them especially not as a poisonmancer and even less so if you max CE as your 4th skill (after 60 in nova).

7. smithaliscious

smithaliscious IncGamers Member

I appreciate the replies. I've currently put 1 point into Bone Armor, Clay Golem, Golem Mastery, Poison Explosion, RS, RSM, and the curse prereqs available at the time. When he's complete, he'll have a point in LR, Revive, and probably Summon Resist. The rest of the points will either go into CE or Clay Golem, depending on how I feel when I get those points. And probably 1 into Bone Wall just because it seems fun. :party:

Does the Clay Golem's 'slow enemies' continue to increase decently at high levels?

8. NumtyDoo

1 pt in clay golem is all you will need. After +skills my clay golem has 10k life, and that is with 1pt golem, and 1pt golem mastery. He is cheap to recast so if he dies, just make a new one. Actually none of the golems are worth maxing, the only exception is an Aura (Iron Golem made from an aura runeword item), but then you don't max IG, just golem mastery.

9. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Don't know if that bone armor point was necessary, but the difference isn't huge. I suggest you put one point in all skills except fire golem (and don't put anything into skeleton mastery if you're planning to use marrowwalks).

Oh and I accidentally said "the rest can be put into poison explosion" before. Of course I meant corpse explosion. After you've maxed the 3 poison skills and corpse explosion, it's hard to decide where to put your points. I think the clay golems slowing suffers from diminishing returns. Personally I think they should be put into raise skeleton. I still wouldn't call you a hybrid, only a poisonmancer who uses skeletons as meat shields and support.

10. NumtyDoo

I have a hybrid version of this as well. Without being able to max raise skeleton (1 pt in mastery) your skellies will have very low life, skellies get the bulk of thier HP from raise skeleton. My Hybrid has raise skeleton maxed, and his skellies are still kind of fragile.

Besides, OP said he didn't want skellies.

11. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

You'll only actually have skellies that are useable when you're ~99, so you won't exactly have them for leveling up - I would seriously not go that route but rather get max CE and some in LR (rest don't matter, if you got to 90+ you can get to 99...).