Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[PvM] Physical Zealot weapon (and other equipment)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by woundead, Apr 11, 2005.

1. woundead

woundead IncGamers Member

[PvM] Physical Zealot weapon (and other equipment)

I need advice on what zealot weapon to use/buy excluding the to expensive ones(like grief and eth zoded death cleaver):

Options is something like this:
    Oath; In what weapon and why
    Stormlash
    Sheafers (maybe to high req)
    Death Cleaver
    Razors edge
    Death; In what weapon and why (maybe to slow)
    Other weapon

My equip will be something like this:
    Helm: Andys face, gives nice ias, can be socketed with ias jewel for more ias if needed
    (can use other if fast enough weapon, recommendations?)
    Amu: angelics if you need the AR, otherwise maybe high lords
    Ring: angelic + Raven 20 or 2 raven 30
    Armor: GA 200% unsocketed now, probably gets Um
    Shield: HoZ 183% Um:ed
    Belt: Thundergods vigor for now, other option perf String or verdungos 35/12
    Gloves: Perf Draculs
    Boots: Goblin Toe now, need advice here; Travs or Gore maybe?

So Could you rate weapons in order of effectivness(In yout opinon) and what items to use with them.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Weapons: I tried a few. A Grief BA (needs a lot of repair) is the best, no questions. The second best I tried is Oath in an eth small crescent (always gets 4 sockets, deals the most dmg except for an ettin axe which might be hard to get and that one deals just 0.5 more dmg). BotD is better, of course, but its costs don't justify the difference IMO. Third is Stormlash (the one I offered in your trade ;)) which might be even better if you have bad luck with your Oath roll. DC and perhaps Azure are probaly nice as well.

As the secondary weapon and shield I suggest Gimmershreds for its elemental bonuses and a 2 PDiamond Moser's. That shield must be good enough versus PIs. Else outrun them.

Belt: T-God's ! You don't need more leech and being practically immune to lightning is definitely better than DR, expecially if an unfriendly gloam pack comes around the corner.

Boots: Gores ! Its 15% CB together with 1-point Smite is an act boss killer !

Rings: Raven is a must. The other one should be a rare dual leech ring. It seems your setup misses mana leech. You don't need much and you might even live with no ML at all, but that becomes a nuisance in heavy fights or when the mana burners get you.

Amu: Highlord's. I didn't miss ar when my paladin wore Oath and had no ITD. For tough bosses you can use Smite and kill them with the 15% CB from Gores.

For your zeal speed, check the attack speed calculator found here. Set up weapon, skill and aura, ignore the IAS settings and press on "Show IAS table".

3. gedda-d-e

gedda-d-e IncGamers Member

I play a pvm zealot on the europe hcl realm, lvl 89, and I have to say (havn't had the opportunity to try grief or Oath) stormlash kicks ass. Chance to cast static is a killer and the tornados actually do deal out some dmg as well.
    My other gear is
    Set winged helm (Gullames or whatever)
    shaftstop
    HoZ
    Highlords
    Thundergods (since you play with GA I would go for Verdungos)
    draculs
    gore
    raven & rare ml+res ring
    Also have skullders and shako in stash for MFing but... It isn't at all as effective.
    With this gear I easily clear out tunnels or pit in a 5-8ppl game, thanks to static and a HF merc.

Well, hope it helps!

//gedda

4. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

Stormlash or Schaefer's is the way to go for pvm. Nothing beats Static Field.

5. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

well krischan said it all in his post!

I think Stormlash is the best costeffective weapon for a pvm zealot!
    U got static that triggers often, u got speed, ut go crushing blow. Reaching 4 fpa zeal with it and highlords is enough! But u got andys so thats enough!

My sealot uses the following equipment:

Helm: CoA (Rockstopper is nice too and Andy is a solid choice)
    Weapon: Stormlash (socket with eth)
    Armor: Duress (best armor for PvM zealot imo). Better than GA för a melee pala
    Shield - HOZ with Pdiamond
    Gloves - Dracuuls (Steelrend might be a choice)
    Belt - Verdungo but SOE might be a choice
    Boots - Goreriders
    Ring 1 - Raven
    Ring 2 - Carrion wind (great ring)
    Amu - Highlords (this one rocks on fana pala)

Merc - Might merc with reapers, upped shaft and upped Gaze.

As for charms well life sc, resist, offensive pala gc and many more! Use the charms that u need!

Good luck

/Dec

6. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Since its PvM and if you dun mind range 2 weapons this could be an option as well : 'Crescent Moon' in either a mythical/cryptic sword/caduceus or if you insist on range 3 then zerker/scourge as it only cost u an Um rune and has ITD, static, ias and OW so perhaps that could be a possibility and with highlords/gores/'Duress' armor/gaze/strings/ravenfrost/dual leech rare ring/HOZ etc it should rock yet be affordable with CBF/leech/pdr/OW/CB/DS as well :p Hope i helped.

p.s Oh ya and a 'Passion' cryptic/caddy on switch vs PIs/Iron Maiden with its +1 berserk and maybe a tiamats/'spirit' sacred targe?

7. woundead

woundead IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the great replies, seems like stormlash is the weapon of choice.

But I have som questions regarding Decebal equip choice:

Is really duress the best armor for pvm pala? it the 15% cb worth it?
    GA (umed) will give effectivly 30 res all, nice def and + maxblock(wich saves stats for vita).

does 15% extra cb make an difference?
    (will have gores + stomlashes)
    And for second ring, do I really need the carrionwind? isnt the life leech from draculs enough?

And last question: what is this chars weaknesses? In what places to your zealot die?

8. EdvinMedvind

EdvinMedvind IncGamers Member

Iron maiden is very dangerous if you're dealing a lot of physical damage (one hit = death for me). You should also be careful around Stygian Dolls.

9. batuchka

Well if u hit 4 frames per attack with zeal 15% cb/ds/ow/*static would trigger rather often - maybe not good enuff for PvP but hey for a PvM zealot thats kindda sweet if u ask me :p I think you prolly know this info but zerker : 60ias Cryptic Sword/Caddy/Scourge : 40ias Phase Blade : 11ias from shaels/jewels/gear in order to hit 4fpa with zeal assuming lvl 20 Fanaticism aura using the German Speed Weapon Calculator. Man i miss my ole .09 schafferlot with range 1 bad ass legendary mallet with static :( It was the godly item for zealots back then along with 3 sock cruel myths/cryptics Perhaps i'd make one for nostalgic reasons :p

*also linked to % chance to cast static but i can't show math/numbers to explain exactly how hehe

10. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

Well i think Duress works fine on my zealot! I dont say its the best PvM armor but with the stats duress provide for PvM is more than enough imo! Sure it doesnt have 95 resist all but my resist are att 75 all in hell (with the charms and gear I have) so its enough for me! Other options are COH and ofc Fortitude if u play ladder! But those armors are far more expensive than both Duress or GA in your case! Max block i have anyway when using HOZ and investing some points into dex. Some means a few! And the 15% CB works wonders! Desides you have OW, cold damage, resist and other godies on that armor!

When using dracuuls + stormlash maybe Carrion is not needed but carrions gives a lot to poison resist so i use the ring mostly for that! Ofc more life leech is nice anyway! :D Sure 2 ravens are nice, or maybe dwarf, BK, whisp projector! Its really up to u what u consider best! U can switch Draculls with steelrends (more damage) and keep carrion if u want! Thats another option!

Weakneses: Well Chaos sanctuary is a pain always! Whis can be remdied by using a passion PB on switch together with HOZ/Sanctuary/Tiamats Rebuke.

I play very seldom in Chaos with him beacause of the IM curse! Ofc oblivion knights may spawn in other areas as well in act 5 soits up to u if u want to play there without a backup weapon!

Hope it helps!

/Dec

11. batuchka

Good advice but i think the ideal 'Passion' weapon would be a Cadacues with +Conviction for example and a Tiamat's socketed with +elemental dmg jewel so when u weapon switch and berserk u have Conviction aura which adds more elemental dmg on top of magical dmg so PI and OB knights die faster! I hate them so much that i think of how to inflict as much damage on them so they die fast lol. Other than Tiamats, on ladder they have the nice 'Spirit' runeword. I made one in a sacred targe which already had 25resist all originally so its a nice shield with good resists and i smite with it as as well and that was why i choose sacred targe (lvl 47) which needs low strength with one of the highest smite dmg :p Since smite in PvM is ITD *and* stun PIs just become dazed and confused after i smite then i zerk them hehe. Then since i use dracs, Life Tap triggers with smite and i leech with berserk so yay! Note that you cannot trigger Life Tap when using zerk but smite= ok But OB Knights still i hate them because smite=physical dmg so Iron Maiden still dangerous - hence i cannot leech but at least they cannot kill me with Iron Maiden because i am dealing pure magical dmg :p What is even better is Spirit is +2 ALL skills not just +pally skills so it effectively gives me +3 berserk so OB Knights die faster too (yay) *and* if i have Call To Arms an additional +2 to BO and nicer life all for the price of Tal/Thul/Ort/Amn lol Good value for low runes if you ask me hehe. Always have a tactic for dealing with Iron maiden/PI as without it you are not a versatile and tactically weak character IMO. A good character can go anywhere solo in hell and not die ya?

p.s Spirit shield also gives massive FHR/massive def vs missile, some life, faster cast and massive mana btw :p

12. klago

klago IncGamers Member

Damage Reduction makes these guys pathetic.

I think the best route is get your DR up to the cap for running around hell and collecting keys. Keep you max light absorb and other uber stuff in stash and switch to that when the time comes.