Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM non-casters possible in Hell?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Mirrislegend, May 1, 2008.

1. Mirrislegend

Mirrislegend IncGamers Member

PvM non-casters possible in Hell?

Hey all, first time posting here. You may recognize this handle from MtG sites: same guy.

Anyways, I've noticed that characters that attack, ie: barbarians, zealadins, charged strike zons, etc, suck for PvM past mid-NM. Even with BO and a variety of +AR and +%AR gear, I cant get these characters to hit anything past Act 2 NM consistently. Is this just my equipment sucking? What am I missing?

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. Razputin

Razputin IncGamers Member

Re: PvM non-casters possible in Hell?

Hi.

Charge Strike zons can do plenty enough damage for hell PvM and don't need ar which is good. The problem is they obviously come to a dead end vs immunes. There is no way round this when going solo, but in a team CS zons can contribute decently anywhere in hell.

Zealdins, i find anyway do suck somewhat at late PvM. Once again it comes down to immunes. I would advise against using a zealdin unless you are experienced at it.

Barbs on the other hand should have a fairly easy ride to the end of the game, even with poor equipment. Go for a two handed weapon. Any reasonable ancient axe, polearm, lance, martel, exe etc. will provide more than enough damage for your needs. Attack rating can be a pain, but with maxed WW + mastery, along with say +500 AR from equipment it should not be a big problem. If it is then Angelics ring(s) + amulet should negate the problem completely.

IMO barbs are the most simple char to solo the whole game with when you have basic equipment. My first 1.11 char was a WW barb, my weapon was an ancient axe with ~120% ehd, less than 100 bonus to attack rating and some mana leech as it's only decent mods. I had sigons belt + gloves for nice life leech, a 6% manalds and a ring giving ~100 to attack rating. I went solo to the end fairly easily. (my resists were dreadful, CR remaining below zero all through hell!) The only tricky bits are phys immunes, flayer dungeon, durance and CS for me.

Good luck!

3. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

if u just asking y u aren't hitting monsters, than:

1. character lvl is a big part of the to hit calculation.
    2. get more AR (dex and/or from gear/weapon or raise skills)
    3. angelic rings + 1 other angelic item gives the largest source of AR in classic
    4. there's a few other set combos that give good AR as well
    5. ITD (ignore target defense) mod on weapon
    6. reduce monster def rating (like with barb's battle cry skill or paladin's conviction skill or amazon's inner sight skill and some weapons have mod on it)

caster builds r much easier as most of them aren't that gear dependant, at least for pvm.

the problem with non-caster characters is that they are very gear dependant and some are 100% gear dependant. your weapon using skill characters will have a very tuff time in hell until u got good gear on them.

4. Mirrislegend

Mirrislegend IncGamers Member

Why do they not need AR? They have to hit their target to release the charged bolts, right?

My first barb was maxed ww and mastery and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I'm currently piloting a BOer barb, with combat as the lvling route and he's doing okay. But he's still only seems to be hitting 50% of the time, with a sky high ar (2500ish, and yes, i did dump that much dex into it).

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  5. barty

barty IncGamers Member

to make your barb hit more pvm, i would suggest using sigons gloves and sigons helm with angelic amulet and 1 angelic ring.
    sigons will add 30 ias, 10 str, 10 life leech,30 mana and AR based on char lvl [on helm]. this is a decent ias, leech and ar boost.[you can also sub out gloves for boots/belt/shield but u will lose 30 ias, since ww hits last breakpoint automatically, this aint a big deal just shuffle ur gear around sig's helm// any other sig for AR boost + 10%ll]
    angelic ammy and one ring will add massive amounts of ar, 20% dmg to mana, 20 life, some regen, etc.
    IMO this is a cheap and easy way to add some ar[ang] along with [sig]ias/ll/ar. it will help u out alot, and leaves room for boots/1 ring/armor/shield i would suggest goblin toes for boots [25% crushing blow{essential for pvm} maybe a 7% mana leech or 2x leech ring, if u got,[ if u can, use ang ammy +2 rings if u can get enough ll/ml from other items and ur ar will raise tremendously] armor is up to you. just depends on what type of barb you are playing, maybe u can post items/stats and we can help out a bit more. just be sure to have plenty of leech and at least 25% crushing blow and u should be able to ww non-stop/ hitting the whole time.

6. Razputin

Razputin IncGamers Member

Nope! :grin:

With 2.5K you should be hitting fairly well really. Much, much more than 50% anyhow. It sounds like you are two far behind what you are fighting in terms of level.

Crushing blow is a good idea.

7. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

The hit check is independent of the charged bolts being released out. The actual javelin jab requires AR to hit but the charged bolts will still spew out.

8. SHINOBIPANDA

SHINOBIPANDA IncGamers Member

Basically.:thumbsup: