PvM LF/PJ Javazon Guide for v1.10 (revised)

lextalionis

Diabloii.Net Member
xnick said:
But is this an uniform disribution? Or more like a normal (gaussian) one?

I suppose that information is up to the code to be revealed... but i don't think Blizzard programmers have gone too deep in the algorithms generating the random numbers...
Computers all have a set of random numbers that allows them to pick numbers. There is no magic algorithm. Each number from 1-700 is equally likely each time.

But to answer your question. The damage is pretty high. And when it splits and hits more than once you are multiplying your chances greatly of getting at least one high damage. So yes, the damage is consistant enough, though sometimes even killing something small may take 4 or 5 shots, but that's rare.

Nidlav

Diabloii.Net Member
The build assumes you are using Titan's Revenge which gives you +2 amazon skills. So 16 in Valk would be a lvl 18 Valk with the +2 skills. The guide references the desired slvl 17 Valk in the "skills explained" and leaves the ultimate number of points for you to assign open. The lvls 76-99 section is where I recommend you pump your valk to "whatever lvl you’ve decided to take her to". I've tried to give a lot of options throughout the entire guide and not nail the reader down to specific numbers. So having stated the goal of slvl 17 it is up to the reader to decide how many points they want/need to put into Valk based on the equipment they have and the number of +skills they'll have. Hope this helps. Good luck.

nid

Khal-Drogo

Diabloii.Net Member
I've run into difficulty taking down LI's in hell. I keep the plague javelin pumping poison into packs of them but I'm having a very hard time hitting them with melee when I join my Valk and merc on the front line. I tried to follow the guideline but with one point into penetrate and roughly 110 dex +mods my attack rating was coming to about 1200-1400 with chance to hit the guys in Act I hell about 50%. Did any of you find this a problem? Also, my plague javelin is lvl 20 with +skills and poison javelin about 3, and my poison damage seems hardly noticeable. These two problems combined have given me a rough start in Hell. Was there somethin I missed?

xnick

Diabloii.Net Member
Khal-Drogo said:
I've run into difficulty taking down LI's in hell. I keep the plague javelin pumping poison into packs of them but I'm having a very hard time hitting them with melee when I join my Valk and merc on the front line. I tried to follow the guideline but with one point into penetrate and roughly 110 dex +mods my attack rating was coming to about 1200-1400 with chance to hit the guys in Act I hell about 50%. Did any of you find this a problem? Also, my plague javelin is lvl 20 with +skills and poison javelin about 3, and my poison damage seems hardly noticeable. These two problems combined have given me a rough start in Hell. Was there somethin I missed?
Suggestion: get Trang's gloves/bramble ;)

About the AR: I found that i had a better chance casting LF even on the inmunes, because of the "aparent always hits" of this skill -- there isn't any chance to hit shown, is it? ...plus, the phys. throw dmg is greater than that of meleeing (but NOT very distinct)

I still have to drink a lot of mana pots, since i don't have the appropiate gear at all, and i have to concentrate in the resistances first.

Salutations :wave:

gzvernon

Diabloii.Net Member
is there any way to get more than 1-1500 LISTED damage on LF (not counting physical dame & other added damage from weps?)

gzvernon

Diabloii.Net Member
i dont know what imm doing wrong but my damage for LF is only about 1000 at lv 29, what can i do to increase my LF damage so i can actually kill things?

here is my setup at the moment at lv 72

up'ed Titans Revenge 184% 6% LL
Vampgaze
T-gods
+1 amazon skill ammy with resist all, +5 str & dex
ravenfrost
Manald ring 7%
atma's wail (i WAS going to wear a up'ed Shaft but i lost it & another Vamp with 13 all res jewel in a muling screwup)
Timates rebuke 33% res all (will be SS when i get to lv 73, so far away)
14/13/5 anni
Nats boots
+2 passive gloves with 12 dex
various gc with + mana

if i could get some insight why my LF is so weak & how i could get more damage out of it i would be grateful.

lextalionis

Diabloii.Net Member
gzvernon said:
if i could get some insight why my LF is so weak & how i could get more damage out of it i would be grateful.
Your level is high enough you just need to find ways to make LF reverberate through more than one enemy. Killing in clusters instead of individuals.

triqui

Diabloii.Net Member
gzvernon said:
is there any way to get more than 1-1500 LISTED damage on LF (not counting physical dame & other added damage from weps?)
With +% extra lit damage (like griphons eye or faciets). Or with 10 javaskillers :lol:
However, you dont need that much listed damage at all. if you arent killing everything in a huge radious in 2 seconds then either:
a) you still need to get better in herding. Clustering the monsters increase the killing speed in a horrible way
b) you have very little in piercing. Each time your javalin pierce ,you deal double damage (couse the bolts are cast again). Against a pack of critters, a good piercing java kills WAAAY more faster than another one with "more" listed damage but less piercing. (tested: my hibrid javazon does so when compared to my friend's fully sinergized with loads of +skills javazon, mainly couse he has +1 pierce)
Edit: to your second post: focus more in +skills. Shako beats gaze hands down for javazons. Aim for +1 (or more) armor (like vipers), +2 helm (shacko or andy visage), , +2/2 from titans, +1 or +2 from ammy and +3 from thunders vigor. A +2 from gloves and +1 from a grand charm (+1 extra from your annilus), and you will have a very good set (with a total 14 or 15 to LF is perfectly possible without needing really expensive gear (indeed, you have the expensive parts-such as anni- of the gear already)

Kargor

Diabloii.Net Member
Khal-Drogo said:
I've run into difficulty taking down LI's in hell. I keep the plague javelin pumping poison into packs of them but I'm having a very hard time hitting them with melee when I join my Valk and merc on the front line.
Also, my plague javelin is lvl 20 with +skills and poison javelin about 3, and my poison damage seems hardly noticeable. These two problems combined have given me a rough start in Hell. Was there somethin I missed?
Hehe... welcome to the club :)

Myself has 2 Javazons that I consider failed --- very similar builds, the first one first 20 Jab, 20 Plague, 20 LF; the second one with 20 Fend, 20 Plague, 20 LF. The reason I started the new one was because Jab+Titans = slow killing of nm-diablo and nm-baal, but "forever" or not-at-all killing of LI hell bosses. At the time I thought that Fend would be like zeal, directing all hits to the same target if you're just facing one --- so same effect as Jab, plus the "big" damage boost.

Needless to say, both failed utterly in hell --- neither can kill nm-mephi, and they have major problems killing LIs or single monsters/small groups in hell.

Sooner or later I will make a third attempt with the poison synergy as described in this guide, but most likely not before I get a decent spear to use for melee (I just don't think that titans are good for anything that needs physical damage --- they are great to deliver lightning fury and poison, but that's about it), and maybe other good items. Currently I'm literally fed up with lightning based characters (I was playing a trapsin for a long time before the javazon, and while she performed a lot better than the javazon she still sucked big time in hell). I like my summoner necro much more (granted, he's my only char with really godly equipment... TO :)), and I'm now trying to build a "burizazon" around my you-guess-which-weapon (although I haven't quite figured out how to deal with PIs...). Both specialize in physical damage... I can't see lightning anymore (ok, I accept the lightning bolts from my skeleton magi... but that's about as far as it goes :))

But still... I haven't given up on Javazons entirely. Still like the lightning fury, it's very fancy when dealing with large crowds :) Maybe, one day...

Another option I'm thinking about is charged strike. Not as a synergy, but for single monsters --- provided you can make all/most of the bolts go through that it might help. Problem, obviously, is that it's an "either CS to help vs single monsters, or poison javelin as synergy for plague", so I might actually try to stick to this guide first. since CS won't do anything to help with LIs.

Anyway, YOU are still doing your first attempt? :) I think that Javazons are an extremely difficult build, so one might need to experiment. Maybe having the "right" equipment (I used shaftstop, titans, tal rasha's mask, manald heal, ravenfrost, "The Ward" and various rares for the other slots I didn't have any good uniques for) can suddenly shift things from "Javazons suck in 1 player hell games" to "Javazons rock in 8 player hell games"...

Just another noob's comments,
Christian

triqui

Diabloii.Net Member
Kargor said:
Anyway, YOU are still doing your first attempt? :) I think that Javazons are an extremely difficult build, so one might need to experiment. Maybe having the "right" equipment (I used shaftstop, titans, tal rasha's mask, manald heal, ravenfrost, "The Ward" and various rares for the other slots I didn't have any good uniques for) can suddenly shift things from "Javazons suck in 1 player hell games" to "Javazons rock in 8 player hell games"...
:scratch:
Javazons are EASILY the strongest character in game. Plus have the adventage of being very gear independent. As long as you carry a titan, you are nice. Anything else just add ice on the cake.

A few things you might think about your two failed attempts. First, plague without sinergies is an absolute waste. If you put a good 15 to 20 points in sinergies, it rocks. If you dont, it does nothing at all (imo).

Second: for LI, you can use either plague (IF sinergized) or a bow, or jab. all works wonders.

If you use jab, remember to raise the Penetrate passive. A lvl 20 jab that never hits is of no use. a lvl 10 jab with lvl 10 penetrate is much better, imo. Also use a good javelin in the switch, which deals good phisical damage (Wraith flight) or elemental damge (demons arch) or any good damge javelin you can get. Eth Uped titans is THE javelin for jab, of course.

If you use Plague, sinerguize it to a nice lvl, and think in using things with % extra poison damage (like trangoul gloves)

If you use a Bow, use either Guided Arrow (ignore defense), Eaglehorn with strafe (ignore defense too) or a goldstrike (good boost to AR).

Plus: Although it is not covered by this guide, CS EATS mephi alive. And baal. Really. It is incredible how fast a thunderstrike can reap a boss apart with CS.

About the gear you suggested: tal mask, shaftstop, ward.. all are good items. but has nothing in common with the build. Focus more on plus skills. Lore runeword works better than tal mask for a javazon, imho. a vipermagi, or spirit shroud, or whatever +1 skills armor does better than shaft. and so on.

as others had said: Pierce is a must.

Br_

Diabloii.Net Member
Boots
This is another area where I don’t see a clear-cut, must-have choice. I’m currently using Waterwalks and they serve me well. I might swap them for Infernostrides. *shrug* Of course, FRW is pretty important….but a lot of the uniques have this. Resists, elemental absorbs, increase max res, +def vs missiles…etc are good. Same as gloves….try to make up for deficiencies with your choice of boots.

I would say instead of inferno strides you should look at

Nat Boots
Mesh Boots

Defense: 112-169 (varies)(Base Defense: 37-44)
Required Level: 25
Required Strength: 65
Durability: 66
Assassin Kick Damage: 23-52
+75-125 Defense (varies)
+40% Faster Run/Walk
Heal Stamina Plus (0.25 Per Character Level) 0-24% (Based On Character Level)
Cold Resist +15-25% (varies)
Lightning Resist +15-25% (varies)

They have good defense, a couple of good resists and are twice as speedy.

Br_

By the way, excellent guide

FrozenSolid

Diabloii.Net Member
Khal-Drogo said:
With the synergie maxed, PJ (lvl 25) will do 11635 psn dmg over 12.6 seconds. Thats about 923 psn dmg per sec. Whats ur psn dmg?
And 110 dex is not enough. Id say base dex should be at least 200 for blocking, dmg, defense, and attack rating.

Xeller

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm thinking about going 20 Plague jav/10 poison jav, and pumping some points into Charged Strike (rather than jab/fend) to use against act bosses. Also, I'm probably going to go with the lowest base valk possible, only enough to get slvl 17 with +skills. Personally, I felt that a meat shield would not be as important in this build as, say, a Bowzon. But my question is, would 20/10 in the Plague/Poison javs be enough damage to deal with LI's in hell? Also, would having only 10-15 base points in CS be enough to deal with the bosses?

tl998

Banned
I have 20 in PJ and its synergy, with Trang gloves and Bramble armor and a 4-socket monarch socketed with 4 poison facets. With PJ at level 34, I do on average 64.5k damage over 16.2 seconds, which is about 4k damage a second. So far in act1 hell my killing speed with PJ is fairly good. I only wish PJ didn't have such a long timer.

I am worried about Poison Immune/Light immune monsters (such as gloams in WSK). I don't have maxed out lightning resists with my setup, but I do have max PDR and max block.

xnick

Diabloii.Net Member
tl998 said:
I have 20 in PJ and its synergy, with Trang gloves and Bramble armor and a 4-socket monarch socketed with 4 poison facets. With PJ at level 34, I do on average 64.5k damage over 16.2 seconds, which is about 4k damage a second. So far in act1 hell my killing speed with PJ is fairly good. I only wish PJ didn't have such a long timer.

I am worried about Poison Immune/Light immune monsters (such as gloams in WSK). I don't have maxed out lightning resists with my setup, but I do have max PDR and max block.
You'll have to rely in the physical part of the damage (or any magic/elemental that you can add). Make sure you have enough AR, or an 'always-hit-skill' prepare to deal with them. Those ones (skeletals, IIRC) doesn't have too much HPs (lucky for the javazon).

About resists... you must try to make your blondie friend (alias valkyrie) absorb the bulk of the dmg, and recast her very often. And pretty much decoy, also. And remember what a 'Slows Missiles' can do to an 'one-shoot-killer-and-shoot-a-lot' monster. Life is not so hard.

:wave:

Hyb!

Diabloii.Net Member
Vitality: Everything else. (Stat note: 1 pt Vitality = +2 life, +1 Stamina)
:scratch:

Small error:
(Stat note: 1 pt Vitality = +3 life, +1 Stamina) :thumbsup:

Nice guide

cuibono

Diabloii.Net Member
Nidlav said:
Inner Sight can be a nice skill in your early levels when you don?t have much else at your disposal. It doesn?t have much long term use but it?s a requirement for Valk?so use what you?ve got.

Good guide. I've always liked the idea of Plague Javelin and wished it could be more useful. I still don't think it's all that good, but it's nice to see people incorporating it into build ideas.

BUT, why does everyone knock Inner Sight? I love IS. I *always* have Inner Sight up unless Slow Missiles is needed. Why not? For a paltry investment of a handful of frames of casting animation, you knock over a hundred off your target's defense with 1 pt in as a prereq + skill adds. That might mean an extra 1-3% chance to hit in hell diff, depending on the mob. It's obviously less relevant to a Plague/LF user since those autohit. BUT. The phys component of both attacks DO have an AR-based chance to hit, and you need them to hit to leech. Plus you note the moderate use of Jab with this build. It's not like before, when a bow zon, with insane dex, had no problems hitting. Now, in hell diff act 5, a bow zon with 400+ dex might have around 80-85% to hit. (I shudder to think of low dex werebears who went Oak.) Anything that helps you hit, is good. If you use Eaglehorn, well never mind. But just about all other zons, get to know Inner Sight.

Oh and adding a twinkle to the mobs is huge too.

VinKelRix

Diabloii.Net Member
Nidlav said:
Merc
Frankly, I don’t think a merc is nearly as important to a Javazon as it is to other builds. ...

The challenge with a merc is to keep them alive. I’ve not read many guides that give suggestions on how to do this. So here are some that I’ve learned. I’ve been playing D2 since it first came out and only started using mercs recently. I could never figure out how to keep them alive. ...
I have started a zon using this guide, palying SP, SC, P1, muled but untwinked. My Merc, A2 combat, does most of my kills. He has had a series of gemmed septems, dual Eld (A2), Ruby/Topaz, and Malice. I have just finished A3 and on to A4 next. She got to CL27 more rapidly than with my other builds. I plan some leveling up before I take on Diablo.

May I suggest that the Merc can be a BIG help until CL30 and perhaps much later. Because a Merc's death only costs money, I treat it as a petty annoyance. I am hoping to give my Merc better armor/helm in the future.

Since I am playing untwinked, my equipment is more catch as catch can and constantly being changed or upgraded. This all comes under the heading of playing style.
:drink:

FrustratedNecro9500

Diabloii.Net Member
tl998 said:

maybe this is a dumb question, but what if u socketed ur jav with a chipped emerald? since that inflicts its damage over 3 seconds, maybe all the poison damage from plague jav would also end up being timed over 3 seconds. then you would start maiming everything, even without all that uber equipment u have.