Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM Hammerdin Shield: HoZ (with a pDiamond) or Spirit (35% base resist)?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Azzaron, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Azzaron

Azzaron IncGamers Member

PvM Hammerdin Shield: HoZ (with a pDiamond) or Spirit (35% base resist)?

What are people's thoughts on which PvM hammerdin shield to use? Keep in mind that I plan on obtaining max block regardless of which shield I choose as I already have about 110 dex points invested.

Herald Of Zakarum with A PDiamond
    Defense: 422-507
    Chance To Block: 82%
    30% Increased Chance Of Blocking
    30% Faster Block Rate
    20% Bonus To Attack Rating
    +20 To Strength
    +20 To Vitality
    +69% Resist All
    +2 To Paladin Skill Levels
    +2 To Combat Skills

Elite Paladin on 35% Resist All Spirit Shield
    Defense: 126-225
    Chance To Block: 51-60%
    +2 To All Skills
    +25-35% Faster Cast Rate
    +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    +22 To Vitality
    +89-112 To Mana
    Cold Resist +35%
    Lightning Resist +35%
    Poison Resist +35%
    +3-8 Magic Absorb
    Attacker Takes Damage of 14
    35% Resist All

Strength bonuses are unimportant as I've already invested all the strength I need. Increased defense of HoZ is more or less offset by increased defense vs. missile of spirit. Soooooo....

Comparison from HoZ Point of View

Advantages:
    • +25% chance to block
    • +30% faster block rate
    • +2 combat skills
    • +35% fire resist
    Disadvantages:
    • -30% FCR
    • -50% FHR
    • -100 mana

I guess I'm finding it hard to choose because the 25% chance to block and 30% FBR seem to more or less offset the 50% FHR. Similarly, the +2 combat skills more or less offsets the 30% FCR. Anything I'm missing when making this choice?

2. Tankmobile

Tankmobile IncGamers Member

Id go for the HoZ for combat, but the spirit is a great tool for teleing, say through the WSK cos of the FCR (and the +2 teleport), but thats only if you have another hoto on switch, or can be bothered switching equipment around before you fight.
    My hammer uses HoZ and i thinkits a solid choice mainly for the extra +to combat skills but for teleing, it sucks because of no FCR.

3. safetypro

safetypro IncGamers Member

I have a Hammerdin who uses both. I use the HoZ when hammering as the 1 frame FCR really doesn't increase much with the added FCR from Spirit hower, to teleport (Spirit on my switch) allows me to teleport at max FCR for safety. Note, the 110 points spend in dex are probably enough with max holy shield for either HoZ or Spirit with a couple +dex items like ravenfrost, rare rings, rare amulet, charms, etc.

4. Azzaron

Azzaron IncGamers Member

Well, I sure won't be using a ravenfrost on my hammerdin as a caster! I'd much rather an SoJ, BK, or FCR (if it breaks a frame) ring....

As for a switch, I have a CTA that I'm addicted to, so I can't switch between hoto/HoZ and hoto/spirit. I have to choose one :laugh:

5. jake007

jake007 IncGamers Member

The 1 frame difference in casting speed can easily compensate for the less live (resulting from the adding of dexterity) and less damage of HoZ, providing that you can hit 125FCR with the spirit setup (standard gear and a fcr ring.)

The 1 frame difference is especially apparent in 8P games.

6. bkwong

bkwong IncGamers Member

The 1 frame difference makes a big difference. Doesn't seem like it does on paper, but play with 125% FCR and you will never go back to 75%. I can kill faster with less shown damage with my 35 fcr spirit than I could with my HoZ.

I am a strong believer that a 35% FCR Spirit is the way to go for any hammerdin. However, you should try both if you can and see what you like better. For me, I cannot stand the slow teleing and slow cast from HoZ after using a 35 FCR spirit to hit the 125 fcr breakpoint.

7. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

125fcr is definatly a much nicer and faster build as after i tried it, i never went back to hoz. spirit definatly makes up for its higher dex req to reach max block (taking acct its in a ST or SR shield)

8. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

125% FCR for the win. It will make alot of difference.

9. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

I'll trow in my 2 cents with the 125% FCR crowd. I'll never tele slower again.

10. xNamastex

xNamastex IncGamers Member

125 fcr all the way. The extra damage per hammer from using Hoz is really irrelevant in PVP anyway since most monsters die from 1 or 2 hits anyway regardless of shield. Spirit allows for faster killing and faster teleporting.