PvM Flaming Rabies

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
PvM Flaming Rabies

I love the druid for his shapeshifting abilities and I read Kaz's Flaming Rabies Guide. Even though it's for PvP, I think the build would work well with PvM as well if I'm not mistaken.

I was thinking of skills along the following lines:

1 Werewolf
5 Lycanthropy
1 Werebear
1 Feral Rage
1 Maul
20 Rabies
20 Fire Claws
1 Hunger
20 Firestorm (synergy for FC)
20 Molten Bolder (another FC synergy)
1 Raven
3 Spirit Wolf
8 Dire Wolf
8 Grizzly

I was hoping to find a Carrion Wind Unique Ring to give me a lvl 21 Poison Creeper to synergize with Rabies.

Is there any other way to boost the elemental damage I will deal with Rabies and Fire Claws? I think the Bramble Runeword, facets, and some other rune words may help, but I'm not sure.

With the given skills (including the lvl 21 Poison Creeper synergy) Chippydip's skill calculator gave the following stats:

Rabies: 10057-10500 poison damage over 14.8 seconds
Fire Claws: 4223-4508 fire damage per hit with 455% increased AR

Can you guys help me out?

EDIT: I'm aware that -% enemy resistance is unable to break immunities, so how would I go about fighting Poison Immunes and Fire Immunes? How can I get rid of their immunities and actually lower the resistance enough to do real damage with Rabies/FC?

MaxMax

Diabloii.Net Member
Don't know too much about fireclaw so i'll let someone else get into that... however

I was hoping to find a Carrion Wind Unique Ring to give me a lvl 21 Poison Creeper to synergize with Rabies.
This bug doesn't work any more.... and eitherway Rabies isn't very useful in PvM.

Good to see someone trying a different build though:smiley:

kalvydas

Diabloii.Net Member

With the given skills (including the lvl 21 Poison Creeper synergy) Chippydip's skill calculator gave the following stats:

Rabies: 10057-10500 poison damage over 14.8 seconds
Fire Claws: 4223-4508 fire damage per hit with 455% increased AR

Not sure, but I think synergies works only with hard points invested into skills, and do not work with skills gained from items

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
Darn...so Rabies isn't all that great for PvM?

I want elemental versatility so Fire Immunes don't slaughter me. That's why I looked into a Rabies/FC hybrid. Can you guys give me skill suggestions, as Kaz's high Rabies damage seemed to stem directly from the Carrion Wind ring.

Is there a good way to use the skill in PvM as a main part of the build or should I go for a straight FC build using a Werebear?

EDIT: What kind of weapon/shield setup should I be looking for in this build?

EDIT 2: What if I dropped all the summons (20 points worth) and threw them into Poison Creeper for the synergy? Would that help me out?

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Darn...so Rabies isn't all that great for PvM?

I want elemental versatility so Fire Immunes don't slaughter me. That's why I looked into a Rabies/FC hybrid. Can you guys give me skill suggestions, as Kaz's high Rabies damage seemed to stem directly from the Carrion Wind ring.

Is there a good way to use the skill in PvM as a main part of the build or should I go for a straight FC build using a Werebear?

EDIT: What kind of weapon/shield setup should I be looking for in this build?

EDIT 2: What if I dropped all the summons (20 points worth) and threw them into Poison Creeper for the synergy? Would that help me out?

It would, but it would drop your tanking ability a bit. If you're looking for a backup attack for your fireclaw, I suggest using Maul. I have a fireclaw bear on east L that uses a noneth, three-shael tomb reaver as his weapon. With 50% ias (I think nos coil, highlord, and LoH if memory serves), he hits at 5 frames (the robophase gets 4), but adds a few thousand physical damage. The resists inherent on the tomb reaver helps make up for the lack of block, and I never have to worry about getting block locked, either.

Basic theory is to simply charge up the one-point Maul to it's fullest, then run around slapping things with Fireclaw, which will carry the benefits of the Maul (both the increased physical damage, and the stun). Every now and then throw in a maul shot to keep the green orb going. This also means any shapeshift skill bonuses you get work double time on your damage, on Maul AND Fireclaw.

omgwtfbbqpwned

Diabloii.Net Member
When they killed the Charge Synergy Bug, this build got hurt in the Fire Claw department, as the damage dropped a lot from the loss of another synergy.

If you still want to use FC/Rabies, try:

+ 20 Fire Claw
+ 20 Rabies
+ 20 Poison Creeper
+ 20 [Fire Claw Synergy]
+ 1 Oak Sage/Heart of Wolverine
+ 1 Summon Grizzly if you need it to tank
+ 1 Fury for Fire/Poison Immunes if you think you really need it

Remainder into pre-reqs and Fire Claw synergies.

Otherwise, you can probably go into the FC Werebear route.

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
The only beef I have with a pure FC Werebear is that even though you get upwards of 8k fire damage, if the enemy is fire immune, all that is useless. I'm not sure about exactly how many of the enemies I'll face will be Fire Immune, but even those with high Fire Resistance will pose a problem. What sort of equipment build will help me with this?

bcoe

Diabloii.Net Member
I like rabies as a PvM skill. What really turned the tide for mine was to load up on "Hit causes monster to flee" mods (rattlecage, face of horror, Dol runes) -partially inspired by SSoG's Fearazon. With this setup (maxed rabies, PC), you infect one and he goes running off to infect the rest. Hilarious. I use hunger/fury while I wait...

batuchka

Diabloii.Net Member
I like rabies as a PvM skill. What really turned the tide for mine was to load up on "Hit causes monster to flee" mods (rattlecage, face of horror, Dol runes) -partially inspired by SSoG's Fearazon. With this setup (maxed rabies, PC), you infect one and he goes running off to infect the rest. Hilarious. I use hunger/fury while I wait...
Hmm ya the poison creeper bug fix on carrion hurt the flaming-rabies a bit :( I like your devious idea of spreading rabies infection amongst monsters in hell hehe What if i use a +3 rabies/+3 fire claws Delerium pelt? Would monsters being cursed by ctc confuse from Delerium cause rabies to spread more quickly or does it not work because they are fighting with each other? I have tested Delerium on various melee PvM builds and i find it candid yet an awesome crowd control technique (confused monsters, especially ranged attackers) Lastly i checked the duration of slvl 18 confuse skill and it has a duration of 44secs with a radius of 15.3 yards! That would allow this build (if confuse indeed spreads rabies faster) to spread rabies in wolf form and shift to bear and finish off dangerous monsters with shockwave+fireclaws- what u guys think?