Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

pvm fishy help

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Stevomoo, May 7, 2008.

1. Stevomoo

Stevomoo IncGamers Member

pvm fishy help

i am making my first necro and need some help.
    i have read the guides and have a rough start
    20 raise skellys
    20 skelly mastery
    20 summon resist
    20 ce
    1 in all rest of summoning tree
    1 decrep/attract/amp/liftap/lower res.
    prereqs for above.
    but what about the rest i am lvling to 90 so i still have a few points left.
    is it worth pumping a glom
    can i get a decent bone shield with what i have left
    mages maybe?

kit
    shako
    enigma
    maras
    soj ravenfrost
    arachnids
    frostburn (or maybe magefist for fcr?)
    hoto//nec shield +3 summoning carn't rember name(or go spirit for fcr)
    beast/?? maybe ss (what to socket it with?)

merc
    might merc
    infinity
    eth fort + crown of thieves
    maybe coh and cb set helm (always forget its name)
    i am a bit usless with mercs what would be best armour//helm combo to help him kill and not die.

please leave coments and advice

2. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

Re: pvm fishy help

OK here are some comments:

No need to put 20 pts in Summon Resist; 1 pt is plenty with the gear you have. Instead consider one of the following:
    - Max Dim Vision
    - Max Mages
    - Max Golem Mastery and get an Iron Golem
    - Get bone Armor (put your points in its synergies, not in the skill BA itself)

Your gear is fine, top of the range.

I assume you're planning to use this for PvM, so read the Fishymancer guide by Nightfish.

3. Stevomoo

thanks for the help. i did read the guide but was just checking out my ideas before i ruin my new char

4. Barbarrister Voldamus

Barbarrister Voldamus IncGamers Member

Ed has it pretty dead on your gear looks to be fairly top notch you may want to go with homo as your primary shield as opposed to stormshield, especially since you plan to be a porter and may want to try for max block plus it still gives +2 necro skills and an extra +2 to curses.

As far as the helm armor issue on your merc there seem to be a couple different schools of thought. Some say that the key to an effective merc is to hit as many CB hits as possibly before he dies. That being said to really max CB you already have the Infinity at 40% if you use the Guillames Face helm you get another 35%. If you want you could add to that even further by outfitting him in a Duress armor which adds another 15% CB as well as the open Wounds moifier which is nice to keep bosses from regenerating at a hich level. The down side to duress is the cold damage which many necros will avoid like the plague, the other down side with this set up is no significant sorce of either life leech or life regen. Either Chains (LL) or Fortitude (regen). would have the advantage of helping to keep your merc alive longer. The other helm that you hear about a lot for the merc is the unique mask Andariel's Visage which does not include the additionally CB that Guillames Face does but does have increased attack speed, high defense and a potential 10% LL to try and keep the merc alive longer. If you decide to go with the Andy mask you will probably want to put a Ral in it to counter the negative fire resist.

The last thing I will add is I am with Ed on possibly building up an Iron Golem by pumping some of those extra points into Golem Mastery. There are two reasons that this can be quite beneficial. First you can make IG's out of a low damage polearm such as a standard Voulge made into the runeword Insight in order to create a near infinite mana source for you to revive the whole world or spam CE like there is no tomorrow. The other use for that IG is to make it out of a relatively low value CB weapon to use in Act Boss and Uber fights. Good luck and remember you are free to take your character whatever direction you wantand who knows you may find that you like something completely foriegn to the conventional wisdom.

5. fauxgtfour

fauxgtfour IncGamers Member

You might reconsider magefists, I prefer trang's gloves. same fcr, but with +2curses and some good cr. You lose the mana regen... Personally though I like the curses and the cr instead (if your mercs got inf)

I keep arm of leo on switch (+2 summoning, and +3 rs) and any +3 summon skills shields (boneflame or darkforge), and then get a total of +5 to summoning (+8 to raise skelly!) for all my summoning, then switch back to a beast/homu for the actual actual battling. Same overall +summon skills at hoto/spirit, but better rs. Nice thing is you get the great skellys from the arm, but don't have to deal with the bone prison and you can still get your fana aura.

Someone who knows necros better (I've only ever made 1 necro) might be able to suggest a better way to do it, but thats my setup, and I've been happy with the high summon skills but still have the beast to swtich and a more powerful shield.

6. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

Trangs are good, but I prefer magefists for the added point to CE range and mana regen. But I have maxed resists already, and my curses already cover the whole screen. So the extra CE range, and mana regen help me more than trang's mods. I guess you just have to put your gear on, see where you are lacking, and make adjustments to suit.

7. Stevomoo

i am going boneflame and hoto for summoning
    and beast//homo for the fights
    i have just had a thought how would coa compare to shako, i will lose a skill and mana but 31%dr and 30 res will help my survivability quite a bit, and my armour is enigma ap so i will be almost there for the strength.

8. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

CoA is fine, even with only one skill point bonus.