Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM Brand Necro(?)

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Meanstreak, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Meanstreak

Meanstreak Diabloii.Net Member

PvM Brand Necro(?)

I find that Brand is a seriously underused item in the game. The mods are incredible, and it just may deal the mot damage in total after effects than any other bow in the game.

Brand
    Jah (31) + Lo (28) + Mal (23) + Gul (25)
    Missile Weapons

35% Chance To Cast Level 14 Amplify Damage When Struck
    100% Chance To Cast Level 18 Bone Spear On Striking
    +260-340% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Ignore Target's Defense
    20% Bonus to Attack Rating
    +280-330% Damage To Demons (varies)
    20% Deadly Strike
    Prevent Monster Heal
    Knockback
    Fires Explosive Arrows or Bolts (15)

Wow! Nearly every mod is damaging! Going down the list, in order, we get:

1. Double damage
    2. Magic damage
    3. Enhanced damage
    4. Always dealing damage
    5. Seriously always dealing damage
    6. Even MORE enhanced damage
    7. Double damage AGAIN
    8. Keep monster from recovering from damage
    9. Keeps you safe to do more damage
    10. Area damage

What in the world?! Now, this would of course be GREAT on an Amazon. But I am wondering, how would THIS build work out? Thoughts?:

Andariel's Visage
    Brand (Hydra/Great/Diamond Bow)
    Treachery (Archon Plate)
    Laying of Hands
    Highlord's Wrath
    Razortail
    Rare Resist Boots
    Ravenfrost

20 - Bone Spirit, Teeth, Bone Wall, Bone Prison, and bone Armor

Now, according to the skill calculator, with full synergies and firing a level 18 Bone Spear per hit, the magic damage per spear will be 1108 - 1174.

With this setup, we get a whopping 650% Dmg to demons, a plethora of Deadly Strike, and our incredible magic attack. The merc would have to be either a Faith merc (which would allow different gear) or a Blessed Aim merc, preferable with Infinity.

Of course you could not go for bone armor and instead max CE, or split the points between Skeletal Mastery and Revives for meat shields.

The attack would be 10 frames per second.

I want to try him. What are your opinions before I spend four high runes on a Brand?

2. lumpor

lumpor Diabloii.Net Member

Re: PvM Brand Necro(?)

I wrote a veeery long guide about the brandmancer a few years ago, but lost interest before I finished it (it was over 30 pages though in word).

I prefer using the bone runeword, for more bone spear punch, as well as great physical protection in the form of bone armor.

Although if you don't get any ias from your armor, you'll need to either use a faith merc (not worth it) or use a crossbow. Necromancers are faster with crossbows, although the crossbow has the 11 frame cap. But if you can live with that attack speed, a crossbow is alot more efficient, with less ias requirements and more damage.

The gorgon crossbow would be the best.

If you get some nice fire damage small charms, you can use those as well. The exploding arrows carry the fire damage, giving you a third element.

The amplify damage on the brand is really annoying though, since decreptify and dim vision are alot better. You might even use a merc with reaper's toll, since it's very annoying using curses all the time while they're overwritten. Infinity would be wierd. Sure, it'd boost your fire damage by a bit, although unless you've found 30 fiery small charms of burning by some miracle, your fire damage still won't be that great. For raw damage obedience is better.

Your best teammate would of course be an enchant sorc, allowing you to really take advantage of your exploding arrows.

Your setup does look very nice though. I've tried the brandmancer in single player using the hero editor, and it was perfectly viable, although I did have perfect gear (including a perfect crown of ages with a rare jewel containing resists, fhr and fire damage + 30 fiery small charms of burning).

The thing I found to be hard was using all of my tools (ce, curses, bone wall, bone prison etc). When I had one on the right key, I forgot to use the other tools. This is an area where a merc with reaper's toll really can help, allowing you to focus on bone walls.

Good luck