Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM Bonemancer - Help!

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Xiamet, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

PvM Bonemancer - Help!

Ok folks...

I'm finally getting around to redoing my 1/09 Nec, who's useless in 1.10 now.

Here's my situation...gear-wise I have full Trang's set, Homonc and Leoric's x2. I have a +2 nec ammy and not sure what rings I may end up with.

I like the idea of the Skelemancer, but i've never been one for standing in the back while my meatshields do all the work; hence my curiosity about the Bonemancer.

My 2 main concerns about going with a Bonemancer is:
    1) Alot of synergies to max...and I don't have Marrowwalk's....yet.
    2) Wondering how effective a Bonemancer is in Hell diff or throughout the game in general. I hear people say that Bonemancers can run Hell Baal easily...but what tactics?

Also, what about MFing? How effective is a Bonemancer with an mf setup? What kind of MF gear are we talking about anyways?

Summons...while i like the idea of casting Bone Spirits and Spears, I do realise that an army of skeles does help more than a bit. Problem is, with so many synergies to max, there's not awhole lot of points left to raise a decent army. And is Poison Nova wrth pumping if I can't max it's synergies either?

I've searched for a guide on a Bonemancer, but the Encyclopedia is too vage and Souless's guide is geared for PvP, which isn't what I want to do with this build. Is a PvM Bonemancera lost cause?

Lotta question but haaaalp!

-X

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

PvM Bonemancer is very viable. You can make reliable one without having to rely on the "feature" boots. Just don't max Teeth. It is not worth it to put points into either PN or Skellies without hefty +skills.

Common tactics are using curses and Bone Prison to keep the monsters in place while you kill them.

Do not use full Trang's because it will ruin your Cast rate.

3. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Why not max teeth? It's a synergy that gives the same % as Spear and Bonewall...no?

I was thinking of going with a Partial Trang's...both for the mods and the look :), with Leoric's and Homonculus. It's a nice chunk of +skill plus other mods. All told, if I went with Leorics, Homonculus, Trang Armor, Gloves, Belt, +2 Nec circlet and a+2 Nec Ammy, I could have +8/10/10 in PB, Summons,Curses respectively, with Skele mastery and RS at 13 each.

I was thinking of plunking a few points in Revives, just to have some level of meatshields, since revives has lesser synergy point requirements than Skeles.

I just wish there were a definitive guide available for a PvM Bonemancer that gave a more detailed account of the Bonemancer build.

-X

4. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Ok...i'll guide you

If youre not gonna max something teeth is good to op out because

A. Even fully synergized it has minimal use
    B. Bone wall/prison synergize both your offensive skills, and bone armor. +15 damage absorbed (read: 45, as each bone cluster gets the +15) for each point into BA.

Having a good fcr is better than having alot of +skills IMO. For reasons of stun, and you actually deal more damage that way (duh).

Use your CE, as one point and +skills make it a decent tool when many baddies are close together (after using a curse I shall mention below). Don't forget to amp before playing artymancer, as -100% physical resistance will almost guarentee a one hit kill for anything in the radius as it deals 1/2 phys and 1/2 fire (different when more players are in the game of course :p )

Two words will solve all your PvM bonamancer problems

Use Confuse

5. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Character name : Hades
    Character type : Necromancer
    Character level : 81
    Character exp : 793791580

Strength : 115
    Energy : 40
    Dexterity : 25
    Vitality : 225
    Stat Points Rem : 90
    Skill Points Rem: 0

Life : 825 / 645
    Mana : 643 / 215
    Stamina : 369 / 369

53: Bone Visage
    Circlet
    Defense: 26
    Durability: 35 of 35
    Required Level: 67
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 90
    Fingerprint: 0x5e69eb71
    +18 to Energy
    Damage Reduced by 3
    Fire Resist +12%
    Cold Resist +24%
    6% Mana stolen per hit
    +2 to Necromancer Skill Levels

54: Raven Clasp
    Amulet
    Required Level: 67
    Item Level: 91
    Fingerprint: 0x2855c770
    +20 to Energy
    Damage Reduced by 3
    Fire Resist +17%
    Lightning Resist +17%
    Cold Resist +35%
    Poison Resist +17%
    18% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

55: Trang-Oul's Scales
    Chaos Armor
    Defense: 857
    Durability: 70 of 70
    Required Strength: 84
    Required Level: 49
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 87
    Fingerprint: 0xd280137f
    +150% Enhanced Defense
    Regenerate Mana 19%
    +100 Defense vs. Missile
    Poison Resist +40%
    Replenish Life +5
    Requirements -40%
    40% Faster Run/Walk
    +2 to Summoning Skills (Necromancer Only)

56: The Stone of Jordan
    Ring
    Required Level: 29
    Fingerprint: 0xda4da867
    +20 to Mana
    Adds 1-12 lightning damage
    Increase Maximum Mana 25%
    +1 to All Skill Levels

57: The Stone of Jordan
    Ring
    Fingerprint: 0xea7477ff
    +20 to Mana
    Adds 1-12 lightning damage
    Increase Maximum Mana 25%
    +1 to All Skill Levels

58: Arachnid Mesh
    Spiderweb Sash
    Defense: 134
    Durability: 12 of 12
    Required Strength: 50
    Required Level: 80
    Fingerprint: 0x29fd5b5a
    +113% Enhanced Defense
    Increase Maximum Mana 5%
    20% Faster Cast Rate
    +1 to All Skill Levels
    Slows Target by 10%
    Level 3 Venom (11/11 Charges)

59: Marrowwalk
    Boneweave Boots
    Defense: 200
    Durability: 16 of 16
    Required Strength: 118
    Required Level: 66
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0x3d009ed8
    +15 to Strength
    +17 to Dexterity
    +195% Enhanced Defense
    Regenerate Mana 10%
    Heal Stamina Plus 10%
    20% Faster Run/Walk
    +1 to Skeleton Mastery (Necromancer Only)
    Half Freeze Duration
    Level 33 Bone Prison (13/13 Charges)
    Level 12 Life Tap (10/10 Charges)

60: Trang-Oul's Claws
    Heavy Bracers
    Defense: 68
    Durability: 16 of 16
    Required Strength: 58
    Required Level: 45
    Item Level: 59
    Fingerprint: 0x1da1951e
    +30 Defense
    Cold Resist +30%
    20% Faster Cast Rate
    +2 to Curses (Necromancer Only)
    +25% to Poison Skill Damage

90: Boneshade
    Lich Wand
    One-Hand Damage: 10 to 31
    Durability: 17 of 17
    Required Strength: 25
    Required Level: 79
    Staff Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Fingerprint: 0x31eb5d4d
    25% Faster Cast Rate
    +4 to Bone Armor (Necromancer Only)
    +3 to Bone Wall (Necromancer Only)
    +3 to Bone Spear (Necromancer Only)
    +1 to Bone Spirit (Necromancer Only)
    +5 to Teeth (Necromancer Only)
    150% Damage to Undead

91: Damien's Homunculus
    Hierophant Trophy
    'Um'
    Defense: 198
    Chance to Block: 72%
    Durability: 20 of 20
    (Necromancer Only)
    Required Strength: 58
    Required Level: 47
    Fingerprint: 0xb52c1b63
    +20 to Energy
    +180% Enhanced Defense
    +40% Increased Chance of Blocking
    Regenerate Mana 33%
    All Resistances +62
    30% Faster Block Rate
    +5 to Mana After Each Kill
    +2 to Curses (Necromancer Only)
    Socketed (1: 1 used)

Weapon Switch

92: Superior Burnt Wand
    One-Hand Damage: 8 to 19
    Durability: 16 of 17
    Required Strength: 25
    Required Level: 30
    Staff Class - Normal Attack Speed
    Item Level: 45
    Fingerprint: 0xb422281e
    +7% Enhanced Damage
    Increase Maximum Durability 13%
    +2 to Iron Golem (Necromancer Only)
    +1 to Fire Golem (Necromancer Only)
    +1 to Decrepify (Necromancer Only)
    150% Damage to Undead

93: Fetish Trophy
    Defense: 47
    Chance to Block: 25%
    Durability: 20 of 20
    (Necromancer Only)
    Required Strength: 41
    Item Level: 49
    Fingerprint: 0x80ba7566
    Adds 12-28 poison damage over 4 seconds
    +1 to Iron Golem (Necromancer Only)
    +3 to Summon Resist (Necromancer Only)
    Socketed (2: 0 used)

This is my build, Patriach now. All items self foun on single player (my pride and joy) Except the Marrowalks, Which was from a giveaway.

I admit, I used the marrowwalk bug, Which allowed me to have some skellies. Final skill point placement:

Curses:
    1 Amplify damage
    1 Dim vision
    1 Iron maiden
    1 Life tap
    1 Confuse
    1 Attract

Summoning:
    6 Skeleton mastery
    6 Raise skeleton
    1 Clay golem
    1 Golem Mastery
    1 Summon Resist
    1 Skeleton mage (mistake)

Poison and Bone:
    11 Teeth
    1 Corpse Explosion
    1 Bone armour
    17 Bone wall
    20 Bone spear
    20 Bone Spirit

This build absolutely owns. I use My weapon swith to summon iron and fire golems if I want to use them, And when going against act bosses, I use ume's lament for the decrepify. Definitely one of the strongest characters I have ever built. I'd say, stronger than my 1.10 zealot (even with PvP gear), 1.10 hammerdin and 1.10 Orb/CL sorc =D. I'd say it's stronger than a skelliemancer too (tried a friends one) and stronger than a wind druid (tried a friends one too.)

Skeletons basically don't die often, I managed to take down all of baals minions with my last skeleton going down just as lister died =D. With my items, it's at level 19 Skeleton mastery and raise skeleton. Dim vison paralyses the silly gloams and other range attackers, and CE pwns all survivors. If enything gets through my meatshield, I have a 1k bone armour =D

6. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Thanks much for posting your setup/build...it's pretty much what I was thinking of going for in terms of skill placement. I want a decent enough army (doesn't have to be a huge one) to keep the baddies busy while I spam Bone Spirit/Spears and Curses. I got bored real quick with my 1.09 Overlord just sitting there spamming curses while my summons did all the actual work. I like participation on an active level on all my chars...and besides..Bone Spirit is just killer.

Now all I need are Marrow's and Boneshade... :)

-X

7. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

You're welcome =D. If you can find a wand with + to attract skills, you can save points of the curses tree. Putting points into Amp damage and Dim vision will be enough. Decrepify can be gotten free from a Ume's lament.

Bone spirit is real fun to use, But in PvM, spear rules. This is because spear pierces, and creates a more conducive environment to get a CE chain going... HAHA.

Atract is really useful in normal and nightmare, but in hell, dim vision owns. Nothing like spearing blind gloams =D

8. Furry_friend

Furry_friend IncGamers Member

Ah funny, I was waiting for the 2 words & got surprised...
    I thought those words were Dim Vision :D

As an addition to the setup Andrew suggested, a White wand (DolIo) can be very good too, especially if it has some +skills to spirit or spear before socketing.
    Boneflame, the unique succubus skull can have +3 necro skills & +30 res all, which is *nice*, and there are some other uniques that are always good for spellcasters (shako, vipermagi), and some runewords if you're really rich.

9. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

I think my main trades/mf runs for my Nec will be Marrow's and Boneshade, as these both are just boss for a Bonemancer.

I have most of the low/mid end wands and necro gear to get him going from the onset, with Leoric's/Homonc and full Trang's waiting for him at the end. +2 Diadem and +2 ammy just icing on the cake. With all this gear, I just have to make a Necro...! lol.

Honestly this char will be probably the easiest to advance with ideal gear at each level out of all my other chars...with the exception of my Strafezon (I have most every bow in the game)

Bonemancer suits my style of play...my trouble now is whether to Pump skills into Skeles or just go with AI ******** Revives.

-X

10. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

I didnt like the timered duration on the revives, so i went skellies... like i said, they last realy long, even with only 6 points into raise skeleton and skeleton mastery haha. If you intend to play on higher players setting however, (i mostly did normal and nightmare ar /players 5, then hell /players 1-/players 3) then revives might be more suitable, cuz i think they will have more life.

11. sugnut

sugnut IncGamers Member

Hi andrew
    that looks like a nice build, but looks too item dependant for me

anyway can ya give us stats on like sort of damage we expecting from bone spirit and spear
    and do u use the bone spirit at all or just spear

and what areur common strats raise skelliesthen just spam like hell and corpse explode??

12. sugnut

sugnut IncGamers Member

oh yes
    do u guys reckon it is too late for me to go bone spear root assuming i have marrow walks
    so far lvl 70 i think or something
    with
    max skelies
    max rs
    5 revives
    2 SR

also with taht build when u started off at lvl 1
    did u pump skellies first till 6 or go straight with bone area??

13. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

I think at the Offset, you'd probably pump the Skele skills til 6 or so, just to get you through the first few levels, then start pumping spear and wall for synergies. Bone Spirit would come next I think, since you won't need it til late NM/Hell. I imagine you could get by with just Bone Spear and your skeles/golem/curses til then.

I'm definitely going the Marrowalks route, as I want to a few summons available for this Nec I'm planning...just wondering if slvl 16 RS/SM (6 points, +10 Skills) will be enough of a meatshield/damager in hell. Maybe with a Might merc?

-X

14. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

lol, Well, i havent tried this built untwinked, so i can't really say... But yeah... I guess it will be really item dependent to have a high damaging bone skill, AND have skellies to mess around with.

With marrowalks and my setup:

Spirit: 3691-3949

Spear: 3601-3795

Not the highest, but i'm satisfied =D I have three poison and bone charms in my inventory.

Basically, i use spear for most monsters, and only use bone spirit for those fast teleporting or jumping monsters, or whan i just feel like spamming =D. If you max teeth first, It can be used to take down those act5 demon imps quickly.. lol. Just spam a few waves and they all die. I put more points into bone wall in case i ever wanted to duel with this build (marrowwalks is BM IMHO though, So i'll take it off.)

Spear is more PvM friendly, especially if you want to use CE (i did. a lot!) because Spear softens up multiple enemies, and gets a CE chain going real quick. This only applies in /players 3 setting and above however. Anything lower than that, and you don't have to worry... cuz amp+CE almost definitely kills /players 1 and /players2 monsters. With my wand, my spear damage and spirit damage is almost the same, and the mana savings on spear are huge... lol. So i basically went wit spear =D. Spirit it really useful against act bosses and the ancients.

Hhaha, yes quite true... First of all, i run around with amp hotkeyed. The moment i see a monster, it gets amped. If the are ranged attackers, i curse them again with dim vision (it overrides amp, but saves me loads of trouble). Now, if the monsters are sorta scatterd, or beating up my merc real bad, i cast attract on one of them, and start spearing the fattest portion of the monster group (meaning.. where i will hit the most monsters with my spear.. lol) once the first monster dies, I cast amp again, then blow with CE. Pretty simple =D.

Dealing with areas with gloams is different. I run around with dim vision. the moment they appear on screen, they get blinded, and I spam spirit like crazy. I have to try and make the kills before my skellies walk up to them, cuz then, they will start shooting thier lightning! Sprinkle CE here and there =D

Against act bosses, always decrepify them with clay golem summoned. Then keep spamming spear/spirit while maintaining decrepify on them. They go down without any trouble this way =D. I faced off with hell Baal with three skeletons, and one clay golem.. lol.

If you wish to max spear and Use the marrowwalk thing:
    1. You must have 0 points into bone prison
    2.you Spear will do about 648-689 magic damage, at a mana cost of 11.7 (without plus skills)

Considering you're level 70, I'd say it's still doable, but by the time you get maxed spear, you'll prolly have patriached... lol.

I started with skellies, then maxed spear as soon as i could (while getting the proper curses), followed by spirit, then sprinkled points randomly into bone wall and teeth.

I went the marrowwalks route because I was prepared to be handicapped when (if ) i duel on TCP/IP with my friends... lol. Besides, having a nice little army, while I blast away at the back is really cool. Marrowwalks has got +1 to skeleton mastery, and Trang oul's armour has got +2 to summoning skills. That helps a bit =D. They are great tanks, but won't be a reliable source of damage though... even with a might merc + amp, it will take quite awhile (too long for my taste) to take down a hell monster... but thay can, if you'll wait. The merc however, can be really strong if geared right.

note: Dont expect this build to own 8 player hell cows or something.. lol. The bonemage is really strong, but it has to be played with strategy. My necro has got very neat resist (all over 40 on hell IIRC) and has a 1k bone armour... but It's still dangerous to run around thinking you're God. =D. Played right, He'll prolly never die.