Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM Blizzard Sorc Questions...

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Papasmurf90, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Papasmurf90

Papasmurf90 IncGamers Member

PvM Blizzard Sorc Questions...

Hey,
    I have done a lot of research and it seems that most of the threads that I read about are for MF blizzard sorcs. Well, I'm going to make a blizzard sorc for lvling up and going through hell and just having a good time. I have a couple of questions though. I have seen a lot of conflicting evidence on whether or not to try and get 75% CTB. What do you recommend? Also, what is the best merc for a blizzard PvM sorc, not an MF sorc? I heard that might mercs are really good because they can take out CI's for you, what do you think? Also, what do you think my max strength should be? So far this is how my stats look:

Strength - Enough to wear my equipment.
    Dex - None
    Vitality - Everything else.
    Energy - None

So how does this look? Also, I remember royalesse told me to put a point into enchant to get my mercs AR up and to add to some of his dmg. Would you recommend this? Thanks a million!

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

blizz sorc is not inherently fun. it is a one-dimensional char suited only to 1 thing: meph running.

3. Papasmurf90

Really? Royalesse said that it would make a pretty good PvM char...would anyone else agree with this? Also, could you answer some of my other questions? Hopefully the CTB question and the merc question. Thanks a ton!

4. savvyguy

savvyguy IncGamers Member

Superhal.... Umm NO.

My blizz sorc can do Meph, Pindle, Eldrich, Shenk, Baal, Pit Run. And is really fun to play.

Papasmurf....

The max block question is completely a matter of preference. Personally, I can't stand block on a sorc, but other people swear by it. I think min energy is a mistake, blizzard costs alot of mana as it levels up, and spamming ice blast is very effective once all the synergies kick in. I would go with at least 100 NRG.

As for a merc, I think might, holy freeze and defiance are all good choices. I went with holy freeze and he destroys cold immunes. However, he's using a monsterous weapon, so if you can't afford a good weapon maybe might is a better choice.

Weapon : Arioc's Needle (+3 skills, 215 ed, 50% deadly strike, +390 poison damage, socketed with 30 ed, +6 max, 10 light resist rare jewel)
    Helm : Tals Mask ( life leech, resist all, etc.)
    Armor : Durials Shell ( Life, reisist all, Cannot be frozen)

Make sure you get cannot be frozen on your merc, it is super important as most cold immunes do cold damage.

Don't bother with enchant, and make sure you get at least 1 point in static.

One area that is pretty tough for this char is Diablo's Castle (forgot the name), the oblivion mages are cold immune, and they cast iron maiden on your merc = dead merc.

5. Papasmurf90

Savvyguy, you dissappoint me. :rant: I was hoping that someone wouldn't answer all my questions so that this thread could go on for a long time and it would give me something to do in those endless hours that I use sitting at my comp when I'm supposed to be doing homework (For this reason I can't play D2). Lol, jk, you answered all of my questions perfectly. *Insert applause here* So this is how my skill/stat distribution is going to look:

20 Blizzard
    20 Ice Bolt
    20 Ice Blast
    20 Glacial Spike
    15+ Cold Master
    1 Teleport
    1 Static Field

Strength - Enough to wear equipment.
    Dex - None
    Vitality - The rest.
    Energy - 100

Merc - Might

So how does this look? Again, thanks a ton for the reply and if you ever have any caster items that you don't need I will gladly accept. Also, how much strength would you recommend? Since I don't have any items (I just got back from a LONG break and my other acct expired) I don't know what the highest strength is going to be for me, so what would be a general area that I should shoot for? Thanks a ton!

6. savvyguy

Here are my stats:

STR 80 (Enough to get within range of Skullders/Tals if i ever find them.)
    DEX 60 (Enough for Hel wizard spike, leave at base if using occy etc.)
    VIT 200ish
    NRG 125 (A bit much, but i was starting with nothing)

Get a point in warmth obviously. Since i started with nothing i maxed out ice bolt first because the mana cost doesn't go up, and it got me though normal. I also shopped for a 2 socket staff with + static + chilling armor and put tir ral (LEAF rune word +6 to warmth among others) in it to use until i found something better. SO i went ICE BOLT -> BLIZZARD -> COLD MASTERY -> ICE BLAST, and I'm working on glacial spike now. I put 1 point in cold mastery at lvl 30. I also put 5 points into static which i kinda regret.

7. cheap_trik

cheap_trik IncGamers Member

id go for enough str to wear silkweaves (65? :scratch: ) i think thats the most str intensive piece u should b wearin as a sorce
    -shako
    -wiz
    -mosers
    -skin of viper
    -arachnids
    -silkweaves

srry if its incorrect (dont think it is..)

8. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

how long does it take you for eldritch/shenk? all minions are cold immune, and shenk has a pretty good chance of being CI as well.

i can do them as well with my necro/merc, with CE helping, which would probably be 10X faster than you having your merc alone do it (assuming your only help is a 1pt in static or 1pt in telekenesis.) my merc also does 3X as much damage as yours, 4.5 as much counting amp damage, with a cruel war pike. (assuming yours is also might, with another 100% subtracted.)

my zon does it 20X faster than my necro. it takes 4 javs for pindle, 2-3 for eldritch, 5+ (depending on what's around him) on eldritch.

sure, a pure blizz cold sorc *could* do any mob in the game. i have a 3 flawless emerald bow that can take down anything with any char. but timewise, it just isn't worth it.

my necro doing a5su's: 5 minutes.
    my zon doing a5su's: 1 minute.
    my blizz sorc doing a5su's: ?

my necro doing meph, no tp: 30 minutes.
    my zon doing meph, no tp: 20 minutes.
    my blizz sorc doing meph: 1 minute, including finding the stairs.

as you can see, doing something is different from doing something *well*.

9. savvyguy

Superhal: how long does it take you for eldritch/shenk? all minions are cold immune, and shenk has a pretty good chance of being CI as well.

Obviously, Blizzard sorc isn't the best choice for doing shenk and Eldrich. I would say it takes about 2 min maybe. I have about lvl 7-8 static which is enough to take a whole mob to half life in a few castings. The merc kills the minions in 1 to 3 hits depending if deadly strike goes off or not.

I really couldn't possibly care less how fast X char can do Y. I've had almost every item in the game and lost them all due to accounts getting hacked/ inactive accounts. So, I'm not that concerned with doing everything super fast etc... I play to have fun. And i enjoy watching my merc sit in the middle of the mob and slowly crush them. Anyway, luck is the biggest factor when you're looking for good items. Sure doing it fast with alot of MF helps, but you really need to get lucky too.

I found Stormspire randomly off baal and traded for a lidless and durials shell... i don't care about trade values etc.. i trade for what i need. I traded water walks for a P diamond....

I just don't approach the game the way most people do, hording uber items etc... I lost interest in that a long time ago.

10. FiNaLoRgYkKzOn

FiNaLoRgYkKzOn Banned

well i use nightwings...i think 95 str...also w/t are like 95 and skullderz are 9x and umm ya....well anni helps alot...btw if you get bored of pvm you can easily turn your sorc into pvp if you have the right gear 0_o

11. Papasmurf90

Ok, so I finally got my might merc from nm. I got rushed to act 2 nm and then brought him back to start lvling. One of the things that I noticed though is that his experience isn't going up at all. Do I have to level him where the monsters are at a certain clvl? If so, what lvl? Thanks!

12. savvyguy

What lvl are you, what lvl is your merc?

The merc only gets exp for things you kill or your merc kills, no shared party exp. Check out this link if you want to see the exp penalty for each act based on your char lvl:

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=512

13. Papasmurf90

Me and my merc are both level 21. According to the chart, we should be lvling in Normal Act 3? Also, I already tried going there and he didn't gain any experience when I killed or he killed? Why is this? Thanks

14. savvyguy

merc can't lvl higher than your lvl....

15. Papasmurf90

O. Also, if you could chose, which would you pick...wizard spike or occulus? Finally, my merc keeps on dying constantly in A3 Norm, I looked at the chart and this is where he's going to get the most experience. What should I do? Should I go to A2 or just keep on lvling in A3? Thanks

16. savvyguy

I like the spike. The random teleport thing on occy really bothers me. If i had a bunch of +5 res all small charms I'd probably deal with it though. As it is i find the +75 all resist key. I also don't have an occy on ladder lol. If you have a spike + P diamond lidless that's 70 fcr + 94 all resist, which allows you to load up on MF equipment in your other slots.... I have alibaba + rhyme on switch for boss kills.

Even when i was rich i used to run Tals armor/belt/ammy shako spike lidless.

17. savvyguy

LVL up to like 60 yourself.... go to nm river of flame or something and kill things. He'll catch up quickly.... You don't really need the merc until hell anyway, and he's going to die without high damage + leech.