Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pvm and Pvp

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by devildriver, Jul 1, 2008.

1. devildriver

devildriver IncGamers Member

Pvm and Pvp

I would rather battles in both pvp and pvm be more 'epic' and go for longer.
    Not have a massive group of enemies not doing much dmg and dying in 1-2 hits but rather lesser monster who have high hp high dmg and battles going for a longer time. Boss battles should'nt be something that can be done easily like in d2 these days but make it a long grueling fight for survival keeping you glued to your computer screen.
    Same for pvp, instead of duels going for like 10 seconds but make it go for a minute - even more maybe. I like the idea of duels being more strategic of dodging attacks and waiting for opportunities and make it more of a thinking match rather then who can click their mouse the fastest or who has the best items. On that thought, having good gear helping in duels but not making you win all the time because of it.

2. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

Re: Pvm and Pvp

Long battles with minions aren't what Diablo was known for...

In the gameplay vid, we see that D3 will focus on lots of enemies coming at you, and you having enough power to wipe the floor with a monster rather quickly...

Now there will be boss monsters...

3. AbrielNei

AbrielNei IncGamers Member

I say no to less enemies!
    We have 1000 of (MMO)RPG games and I think 99% of them are like you suggest. Specially in end game you can only attack 1 monster or not even that - you need a group of people to kill one single monster!

Diablo is not that kind of game and I hope it will never be, Diablo is about killing as many monsters as possible!

But PVP is another thing. I think it would be nice to get longer and more exciting duels.

4. cfeldt

cfeldt IncGamers Member

I'm hoping we'll get the full range. From being flooded with lesser zerg-like opponents that overwhelm you to massively large though bosses that takes a long time to bring down.

regards

*edit: spelling

5. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

HC duels usually do last a long time.
    Maybe it's because we don't have a stigma about imposing artificial rules on ourselves such as no potions.

6. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

HC differs a lot from SC, the no potions rule sounds pretty reasonable for me in softcore ;) (in so called GM duels of course)

7. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Oh I'm plenty aware of that, it'd be silly having to farm the number of juvs it'd take otherwise.

I'm just saying that the fault for short duels in SC doesn't lay entirely in the design. In that if PvP is designed with potion use in mind the length of duels is fine... just the length of time to accumulate potions for the amount of dueling that takes place on SC isn't.

On the other hand, if D2's PvP were designed with the thought that "SC players are the majority, and likely won't want to farm potions to duel so let's rebalance for longer duels" it'd make even more difficult than it already is to ear someone in HC who is using juvs.

Basically potions seem like a fairly fundamental problem, and one that they've stated they're addressing.

8. Burst Cancel

Burst Cancel IncGamers Member

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with short duels. Dueling takes on a different dimension when attacks will kill in 1-3 hits as opposed to 10-20 hits; there's far less margin of error, so unless you want winning or losing to come down to dumb luck and twitch clicking, you have to develop builds and tactics to work with this small margin of error. In short, the fewer mistakes you are allowed to make in PvP, the better.