Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

puzzle?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Chain, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Chain

Chain Diabloii.Net Member

puzzle?

I am currently in a game called Shcows on us west ladder.
    In stony field, the stones are lit up but there is no portal to trist. Cain is already in the rogue camp.
    Is this a bug or is there some normal explanation that I am not seeing?

2. Creon

Creon Diabloii.Net Member

This happens if the Cain quest was not done by whoever made the game, but someone talked to Cain in a later act. The quest also becomes unavailable for completion in this case.

3. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Actually, if you join a game where the quest is not done and you take the Rogue Camp WP to the act 2 lut Goleim WP, you've already 'ruined' it for those who wanted to do the quest. :)

4. Creon

That's not true from my experience. Someone has to actually talk to Cain in a later act, not just go to a later act.

5. WarlockCC

"Search your feelings, you know it to be true !"

In other words, it is true from my experience.
    Give it a go then. Be sure to do it with a char that has not done the quest so you can see the quest log pop up.
    You can safely talk to cain in act 3 at any time. In act 4 you run the risk of him starting about his stink-stone, other then that it's still safe to talk to him there.

Yes, I have done extensive research into the matter because of the following :
    I allways leave the bugger in his cage. If he likes *that* kind of thing enough to get himself locked up by some succubus, then I'll let the old man (in a dress) have his twisted pleasures. Offcourse I also have my little pleasure when I hear him calling for help as I get closer... and then just walk away again.
    It's also handy to see how many things you picked up since he'll charge you 100 for every item he has to ID (scrolls cost 80, just to show what a scam-artist cain really is, pretending to be all ancienty and mystical while he just makes 20 gold profit off of you for every item)

6. Creon

I tested this a bit. I used my speeder that was in A1 Hell without Cain.

I killed Andy and went to Act 2. The quest then could not be completed. I then created a new game, starting in Act 2. The quest was doable. I talked to Cain, nothing changed. I went to Act 1. Quest still doable. I went back to Act 2. Quest cannot be completed.

7. purplelocust

purplelocust Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for experimenting and reporting- I had wondered exactly what it is that closes the quest and it seems to be taking the WP to Act 2, not talking to Cain as I (and most people, I think) had suspected.

8. WarlockCC

Indeed, I forgot to mention that if you join a game and start in act 2, then you need to talk to cain directly or go to rogue and back to goleim to 'block' the quest in that game. I vaguely recall just taking the caravan will also block the quest in that game.

So, which one of you leaves him hangin at times ? We know that Creon pokes (fun) at Cain with his speeder. Without a doubt PurpleLocust has done something of sorts to have such suspicions.
    C'mon, the rest of you can also admit you like to hear him moaning for help and then apply the 'point and laugh' technique.

9. goomba

goomba Diabloii.Net Member

at lvl 86, I just released cain in hell on one of my baba's. Hoping for a better ring.

it was a ring of craftsmanship or some such BS magical ring, not even a rare one :(

I don't make a habit of having him ID stuff for me anyway. I usually have a full tome of ID scrolls on all my chars.

10. WarlockCC

That's actually a good idea. if you pick something up that you don't want, you won't have to bother selling it in the same or next CS game. If I didn't need all my hotkeys, I would put ID under one of them.
    I use F1 to F8
    anybody know if a way to use/map more hotkeys ?

11. purplelocust

purplelocust Diabloii.Net Member

The ilvl of the ring reward is fixed by difficulty (normal = magic, ilvl 7, nm = rare, ilvl 28, hell= rare, ivl 49), so waiting in hopes of a better ring is futile. Same story for the Ormus reward ring, but those are all rare and the ilvls are better- 21, 35, 65.

I'm not sure how you got a magic one in Hell, are you sure that wasn't a normal game?

12. quadeddie

quadeddie Diabloii.Net Member

Huh, now that I think about it... cain is an ***. He can just magically be in all acts with you so, why can't he get his *** out of a cage?

It's also great fun when someone makes a Cowxxx game that hasn't gone to tristram (and then they leave).